Watching the Halloween series for the first time; any I should skip?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by crikan, Jul 28, 2009.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I certainly agree with you that it would have been better if Michael had come from a good middle class family and snapped for no apparent reason, but he didn't in this movie. A remake isn't supposed to follow the original to the letter. If it did, there would be no reason to make it as we still have the original to watch. Zombie took what he thought was important about the Halloween franchise and expanded on it. To be honest I never got that caught up in "the shape". I liked to think that Michael was just F@#%ed in the head and I held my breath that a stupid explanation like the one that came in Curse wouldn't come. It did and I choose to forget that movie happened. But whether Michael is deranged because his brain is broken, he's being controlled by a cult, or he grew up in an abusive household, that shouldn't ruin this series of remakes that will soon peter out and will eventually be replaced by another reboot.

And a dude in a mask killing me is scary no matter what his motivation. :eek:

This is certainly a true statement, but in 30 years there were 7 sequels that also weren't "as interesting or well executed as Carpenter's original." Zombie's remake isn't the first nor will it be the last Halloween that isn't better than the original. If Carpenter himself decided to take the reigns I have no doubt those attempts would also fall short. We should be happy the franchise is still alive and relax our expectations and not get all riled up when they aren't created exactly how we want them. But it sure makes for fun forum conversations.

2. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Watched Halloween 3 on Saturday. This movie is terrible. There is not one plausible moment in this movie. One of the richest men in America owns a novelty company with a product line of 3 Halloween masks. These 3 Halloween masks are so popular that the company can afford advertising during every commercial break on every channel for weeks before Halloween. Oh, and the masks contain a computer chip sprinkled with Stonehenge dust that when activated by a TV commercial fills the masks with bugs and snakes. Apparently a doctor with a drinking problem knows the phone number of the one guy that can immediately pull a commercial from 2 of the 3 major networks by yelling into a phone "Stop it, please, for God's sake, please stop it. There's no more time. Please stop it. Stop it now. Turn it off! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! STOP IT!". This is also one of many bad movies where the villain explains his motivations to the hero but it comes off as even he doesn't really understand why he's killing millions. "It's time again. In the end, we don't decide these things you know, the planets do." Really? That's the best you could do? And this guy also has a army of super strong robots. And this is what he chose to do with an army of super strong robots.

The only reason I could make it through the movie was Tom Atkins over the top performance. He makes any movie better. The soundtrack is good but I couldn't help but think it was inappropriate as it deserved to be in a better movie.

This movie deserved to bomb and deserves to still be hated by anyone unfortunate enough to watch it.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

If you think plausibility is an important aspect for a movie to have, then you must hate, oh, upwards of 99% of every horror/sci-fi/fantasy film ever made. How a multi-millionaire madman with an army of robots is any more "out there" than Count Dracula, Baron Frankenstein, Damien, Freddy Krueger, or countless other supernatural villians is beyond me...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

:bs:
    Oh come on. That's an unfair leap you're taking with that statement. There are numerous things in this movie that don't add up. While I was watching the movie these problems came off as the creators being to lazy to flesh out the script. This movie is weird enough that I can understand why some like it but in this instance I couldn't get past it.

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I can see why people feel this way. But there's something special about H3 that might take repeat viewings to reveal itself. Sure it's bad on an objective scale. But I still think there's a lot to like.

For starters, this was Dean Cundey's last Halloween film. And his departure from the series left a hole that was never filled. H4 is my favorite sequel. But it'd have been MUCH better if Cundey was behind the camera. He's as much responsible for the Halloween look as John Carpenter. And H3 might have the best cinematography of any "bad" film ever.

You mentioned Atkins. But what about O'Herlihy? The 2 of them give such enjoyable performances that I can watch H3 over and over. And didn't you enjoy seeing Dick Warlock (The Shape in H2) playing a killer robot here?

I also like the fact that the actual holiday of Halloween figures much more prominently than it does in the usual Myers romps. And as you acknowledge, the score is tremendous.

H3 is always part of my Halloween marathon. Wait a while and give this another try. 61 more days 'til Halloween! Silver Shamrock!

6. maybrick

I don't think I am. Sure, you can dislike Halloween 3 for a variety of reasons, but blaming it for not being plausible is a bit absurd. Fantasy films are almost never plausible. That's a huge part about what makes them so much fun to watch.

7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I agree with Maybrick. 99% of horror is fantasy, so you must suspend your disbelief to enjoy.

8. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I didn't say that the movie wasn't plausible I said "there is not one plausible moment in this movie." I like absurd movies just fine but most of what I saw on screen made no sense. There are continuity problems like Atkins late night liquor run and many of the actions characters take in the movie didn't make sense to me. Like why is the Number #1 customer with the RV staying at the hotel? Did Atkins hooking up with the daughter really seem believable to you? Right or wrong I felt this way about many things with this movie. My using of the word plausible in a sentence shouldn't lead someone with any amount of common sense to believe that I require everything in a movie to be %100 grounded in reality.

Why do I get the feeling I'm feeding a troll?

9. maybrick

The room was paid for courtesy of Cochran for being their #1 customer.

A hundred times, YES!!! He's Atkins damnit! I'd fuck him myself if I could! :lol:

But to be a bit more serious for a bit, most leading men in films are a good 20 years older than the leading actress, and they always get the girl. There's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary by Hollywood standards that Atkins got the girl. He also slept with Jamie Lee Curtis in The Fog.

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

You know what. I like you maybrick. You win. You were able to take my poor choice of words and turn it into "I hate fantasy, horror and scifi because I'm a close minded fool". If only I could get past it so I could enjoy masterpieces of cinema like Halloween 3: the Legend of Tom Atkins Gold. :lol:

Cheers :)

Now I'm off to purchase The Fog.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  11. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

Yes... I agree... This was the last Halloween film that felt like a Halloween (ironically). A lot of that was because of Dean Cundey. The way the shadows fall, the shots, etc... It all felt like Halloween. I think it's funny that this film feels more like a Halloween film than any of the latter sequels with Myers. Starting with four, they turned him into a Jason Voorhees (especially in the Zombie films).

It's not to say I didn't enjoy 4-H2 in varying degrees, it's just a completely different vibe.

12. maybrick

And it'll be the best purchase you've ever made. Just don't get the remake! :p

13. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

The Fog also felt more like a Halloween film than Halloween's 4-H2...

lol

14. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

My second son in two years was born last week so I’ve been slow to make posts, but I figure it’s time to put a cap on this thread.

I really enjoyed the Halloween: 25 Years of Terror. I can’t believe that hot blonde flashed her boobies. :eek: Danielle Harris talked about how she was stalked because of her role in the Halloween movies so I think it’s odd that she came back for the remakes. Because this documentary was so awesome I picked up “His Name is Jason” and I’m looking forward to the eventual Nightmare of Elm Street doc.

I enjoyed Halloween II but not near as much as the 2007 release. I posted my impressions in the Halloween 2 reaction thread. I was a bit exhausted when I wrote that.

Halloween is an amazing series. I’m not surprised its lasted this long and has so many fans. I’m glad I waited until now to see them because I really enjoyed this experience of watching them together for the first time over a two month period. I’m not sure I would have enjoyed the original 1978 Halloween if I had watched it for the first time on VHS when I had a 25’ CRT. Seeing it on a 55” HDTV in 1080p really allowed me to appreciate the amazing cinematography. If not for the beautiful picture I may not have had the patience to notice some truly entertaining characters. Dr. Loomis will always be one of my favorites. I can definitely see myself watching the entire series in marathon again in a couple of years; perhaps when they are all released in a Blu-ray box set that hopefully contains the Producer’s Cut of Curse.

Halloween 1978 8/10
    Halloween 2 3/10
    Halloween 3: Season of the Witch 2/10
    Halloween 4 7/10
    Halloween 5 7/10
    Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers: The Producer’s cut 3/10
    Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers 1/10
    Halloween H20 1/10
    Halloween Resurrection 7/10
    Halloween: 2007 Unrated Director’s Cut 8/10
    Halloween II (2009 in theater) 6/10
    Halloween: 25 Years of Terror 7/10

(I don’t give out 9/10 and 10/10 very often. On my scale 8/10 is an excellent movie)

Thanks everyone that participated in this thread. It really enhanced this experience to discuss what I was seeing with people that were experts and fans of the series.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  15. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

crikan, are you planning on making your way through any other series? I think I speak for many of this community when I say this was a fun experience, sort of vicariously reliving our first times watching the Halloween series.

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

It is so good to hear that I wasn't just wasting space on the forum. I really enjoyed this.

I am trying to decide on one and would be very open to suggestions. I was thinking about watching the F13 series. I watched Part 1, 2, 4, Jason X and Freddy vs Jason a few years back for the first time and really enjoyed them. While I wouldn't be as new to the series as I was Halloween I am really looking forward to see how the two series differ. I plan on waiting until the remake is close to being in theaters before I go through the ANOES series again.

What are a few franchises that are as beloved and epic as Halloween?

17. Fistfuck

Well, it's not like you're dvd-fanatic-9 or anything.

I'd say the only series that don't take an immediate nosedive are the Exorcist and Night of the Living Dead series. I'd say these are two series almost universally-appreciated, though probably not without exception. The first two Hellraiser's are amazing, but most of us tuned out after IV and the series seems to continue on ad infinitum after that.

Another idea would be to do an entire director's oeuvre. Like, say, Argento.

18. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

Seriously?

19. maybrick

On the contrary, The Exorcist 2: The Heretic is almost universally reviled and was a complete box office bomb in both of it's initial runs. It received runner-up status in the legendary Golden Turkey Awards, being beat only by Plan 9 From Outer Space.

20. Fistfuck

You are right, but it definitely has its fans, myself included. Perhaps crikan will find what myself and others have in the film. Also, Exorcist II adds a lot to the story when you view the first four (Harlin's excluded) as one complete tale.