We need to e-mail MGM about our beloved horrors...

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by WesReviews, May 29, 2002.

1. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

MGM is doing a great job of releasing horror films on DVD. However, there are still a number of obscure titles that they may own that need to be released.

I've e-mailed them myself at 4you@mgm.com and have gotten good replies in the past. They've forwarded my suggestions to the higher-ups, so maybe we can affect future waves of Midnite Movies lines as well as what gets the Special Edition treatment in the future.

I've compiled this list, based on some independent research I've been doing as far as what titles they may own. I'm still searching, but these are what I've found so far...

From the Thorn/EMI/HBO Library, MGM owns/may own:
    The Burning (request it uncut, of course)
    The Deadly Intruder

From the Embassy Home Entertainment library, MGM owns/may own:
    Amityville 3-D (request it in 3-D!)
    Blood Link
    Brainwaves
    The Brood
    Dark Places
    Deadly Blessing
    Dear Dead Delilah
    Death Ship
    Delusion
    Driver's Seat
    The Evil
    Fear No Evil
    Final Exam
    Galaxy of Terror
    Horror Planet (this and Galaxy of Terror would make an ideal double-feature Midnite Movie title, so you may want to suggest it)
    Humongous
    The Supernaturals

From the MGM library, MGM owns:
    Brain Dead
    Demon Seed
    He Knows You're Alone
    Hospital Massacre
    House of the Long Shadows
    The House Where Evil Dwells
    Killer Party

From the Cannon Library, MGM owns/may own:
    The Borrower

Due to the fact that MGM is releasing Crawlspace on DVD in August, this leads me to believe that they may own select titles from the Lightning Video Library as well. If they do, they may own:
    Blood Diner
    Chopping Mall
    Creature from Black Lake
    Dark August
    Devil Dog: The Hound of Hell
    Evils of the Night
    Frozen Terror
    House of the Yellow Carpet

I'll continue my investigation, but this is a good start. Now is the time to e-mail MGM. Suggest your own ideas about future Midnite Movies Double Feature ideas and what horror films should get the Special Edition treatment. We may just be able to determine what they release next.

4you@mgm.com

2. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Good job there Wes! You've done a lot of thinking on this one. ;) Indeed, you should start a petition for these movies. I'd be happy to sign it. I am e-mailing a letter now. :D

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea you've got there, Wes! Two films I hope they re-release soon are the original "Village of the Damned" as well as it's sequel, "Children of the Damned".

4. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I'd like to see Amityville 3-D, Return Of The Living Dead 2 and Final Exam. The Return...series must be completed. ;)

5. evileye

evileye Member

For an update...

THE BURNING: rumored to be coming
    FEAR NO EVIL: Anchor Bay is releasing a S.E. in Oct
    HORROR PLANET: check out Elite's INSEMINOID dvd

I personally would like to see HE KNOWS..., AMITYVILLE 3-D (3D would be nice.. only stereoscopic like Lumivision's DVDs for their glasses.. but the full 2.35:1 would still be welcome), and KILLER PARTY!

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Cool. Amityville 3-D rocks! :cool:\nn/ I like part 2 and the original too. The original is the best but the second is of course 2nd. :eek:

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Don't forget that MGM also owns the horror classic THE BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW.

8. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Wes...

Have you heard anything on the Return Of The Living Dead 2 DVD release lately (specs, extras etc.)? When is this movie going to be released and will it be a SE?

9. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

I believe Anchor Bay struck a deal with the new owners of the Embassy-library, Studio Canal, to exclusively distribute their titles in the US. That's why, among others, they have Fear No Evil planned for release. MGM had the rights prior to this and will release the titles they had scheduled, alas no Embassy-horror. As for The Brood, Galaxy of Terror, Chopping Mall and the other Corman-produced titles you mentioned they're owned by Corman himself through his company New Concorde. Hope that helps!

10. Karm

Karm Guest

What about Anthropophagous - i hear MGM own the rights to this as well. This is a movie that needs a decent uncut release.

11. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I'd like to see Amityville 3-D on disc along with part 2. And ROTLD 2 is a no-brainer. Too bad MGM wouldnt give us a SE of the 1st one right off the bat. Now I have to wait for it, which sucks since I'll get the 1st release anyways. I'm really glad to see Motel Hell getting a release, although as I've stated, I dont care for the "double-feature" route. Oh well, just as long as its 16X9, I'll be happy.

12. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

whoa, for some reason, i couldnt picture a company like MGM releasing a movie like Antropophagus... i hope they do tho!

13. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

What about this...

Who here thinks that MGM should release the later version of Return Of The Living Dead SE with Return Of The Living Dead 2 SE together as a special limited time release (like how AB did with Hellraiser but without the tin and LE # count)?

14. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

It would be cool but there's one problem. Warner owns the rights to Return of the Living Dead Part 2. So we'll probably not see it for a couple of years.

Karm, where did you hear that MGM owns the rights to Antropophagus?

15. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'm definitely for wanting to see the Brood get a DVD release. Great Cronenberg film.

16. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Damn, I didn't realize that. :( Well hopefully we won't have to wait to long for Part 2...thanks y2! :D

17. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

It's now more important than ever that you guys e-mail MGM and spread the word about The Burning uncut on DVD.

As I've said, MGM will soon be making their 2003 schedules out and if a mass of people request this title, then it may get bumped up in importance over at the studio.

Look at what happened with UHF and Return of the Living Dead, when hoards of fans flooded MGM with e-mails.

Request extras as well. Tom Savini has tons of background footage on this film. I'd like to see some of it make it to the disc along with an interview and possibly audio commentary. Rick Wakeman being involved would be interesting as well.

I know I'm not the only one out there that feels this way about this title, so e-mail MGM and suggest it!

4you@mgm.com

We can do this guys. Spread the word, get every friend you know to e-mail them. E-mail them from multiple accounts if you have to. ;)

18. rhett

rhett Administrator

It's as good as done Wes! I just sent them an email. Come on guys, let's make this happen.

19. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Yeah totally. Send this thread to all the people you know and all the movie sites you go to most often...lets get the ball going. :D

20. Rock

Rock Member

Done!