Werewolf of London

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Mar 17, 2007.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I can hardly believe we haven't had a thread on this film before now.

Werewolf of London came six years prior to The Wolf Man, and the later film tends to get most of the kudos from film fans. However, for me, Werewolf of London is every bit as good as the Chaney Jr. Classic (as much as I love that one too).

When you consider that Werewolf of London was made a little more than twenty years after what is believed to be the first lycanthropic movie ever made, it's extraordinary who good it is. The story of two botonists, fighting over a temporary cure, albeit a cure that can only work thre more times, tells of the anguish of being afflicted by the disease that is werewolfery (their word).

This film contains my favorite werewolf tranformation scene too - the first time Dr. Glendon changes is a revelation - and the makeup job is good too. Of course the film has aged poorly in some places, the strange journey up the mountain in Tibet, and the initial attack, might garner some chuckles - and the invisible walls are, frankly, nothing but funny. But that doesn't detract from the overall picture, imo.

There were a couple of elements introduced in this one that were alter dropped from the ouvre: If a Werewolf doesn't kill at least one person a night, they become permanently afflicted, and a werewolf will always seek out the person it loves the most. interesting additions those.

And oh yeah, the splash of humor in the middle of the film works better, dare I say it, than the splashes the great James Whale gave us.

I've loved this movie from my early years, and if anything, I enjoy it even more now. With it mysteries and tragic love story, I think it packs quite a punch. Excellent flick.

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I've been meaning to watch this forever but I've never gotten around to it. Time to re-crack open my Wolf Man set.

3. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I haven't seen it since I was a little kid in the 70's but I remember liking it a lot. My Wolf Man Legacy Collection is still sealed- maybe it's time to change that.

4. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

I like this one, and something i like about all these Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman Legacy films is the amazement and wonder of these characters when they start to realize that a vampire or werewolf is real.

For example, in Dracula (1931), when Renfield has escaped and is explaining to Van Helsing and the director of the asylum that Dracula is coming and the (British speaking) warden is coming in and listens to what Renfield has to say and then he says something in the line of 'He is so convinced that a vampire is among us that I'm inclined to believe him', this is the best example that the whole crew believed firmly in what they are making.

Phenomenal value for money, these Legacy sets

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I still prefer The Wolf Man and Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, both with Lon Chaney Jr. Werewolf of London unfortuantely tends to get overlooked. Effective makeup job and great performance from Henry Hull. I applaud the film's original take on lycanthropy, but most of all I love the werewolf VS werewolf battle!

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

A good and overlooked werewolf film. But speaking of the Monster Legacy set...what is up with She-Wolf of London? Easily the worst movie on that set.