Wes Craven: Hero or Hack?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Jun 13, 2005.

?

What is your opinion on Wes Craven?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2005.
  1. He is a great director

13 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. He has some masterpieces but some stinkers too

62 vote(s)
    54.4%
  3. He's okay

7 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. He has more misses than hits

25 vote(s)
    21.9%
  5. He's totally overrated

7 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Went with "He has some masterpieces but some stinkers too." I still consider his three best films to be The Hills Have Eyes, The Serpent and the Rainbow, and Deadly Blessing. While I think those are his best, I love Last House, ANOES, and New Nightmare too. Also, while I don't love em, and wouldn't consider them good films, Shocker sure is fun, and I like The Hills Have Eyes II a tad more than most people.

Everything else he's done is complete and total garbage. It would be nice to see him churn out a good film again, but I've lost faith in him these days.

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

He's a washed up man, folks. He should just remake NOES.

3. Tough to call, 'cause those statements aren't really mutually exclusive.

4. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

He has some masterpieces but some stinkers too. I like most of the Nightmare series (except 2) but I really don't like the Scream series (the first was ok).

5. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Were all of the NOES movies produced by Craven? I would just look at the box, but unfortunately for this occasion it is in the good care of a friend. Either way it doesn't affect my vote, I was just curious. I still love the first Scream so fuck y'all! I know it doesn't really offer anything new to the slasher genre, but it doesn't have to. It was a great film that kept you guessing and had a lot of "in-jokes/parody/tounge-in-cheek/whatever you want to call it", but most of all it IS a fun flick. No, I don't think it re-invented a genre although it has almost killed one, this movie is still one of the better horror films from it's time. I for one still think Wes can pull another trick out of his hat or at least out of another prime-time drama-queen's pantie-hoes.

He's not Cronenberg!

6. orville

orville Guest

Last House on the Left is good as a period piece.

Nightmare on Elm Street is a ripoff of Dreamscape.

The Hills Have Eyes is his masterpiece.

Everything else is crap........ :fire:

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Deadly Blessing is an underrated gem.
    Hills Have Eyes is ok (but I personally preferred Just Before Dawn by Lieberman).
    The first Nightmare On Elm Street is classic, despite being cheesy in spots. Who can forget Heather Langenkamp!!
    Last House On The Left is unique, but I cannot stomach it except for rare occasions-just too damn sadistic and close to the headlines I despise reading on a daily basis. However, if George Bernard Shaw was correct and "the secret of success is to offend the greatest number of people"-Craven triumphed with Last House.
    Everything else is either mildly amusing or leaves me completely apathetic. Cursed sucked bigtime!!

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I don't have much respect for the guy at all, he just seems like such a copy cat. He's never gone out and done something original that really stands on its own two feet. I own the stinkers from John Carpenter and George A. Romero, even when they fall they at least still makes something worth seeing for me. But even when Wes Craven succeeds I know someone's already done it before him and done it much better.

But I understand the support he gets, he doesn't really make bad movies so much as mediocre ones. There's something to like and it's usually very polished, and a lot of people do like more of the same so there's nothing for them to complain about.

The Last House on the Left though I can't watch because of the REALLY bad editing. When combined with the bad screenplay and bad direction (although he has gotten much better since) I can't enjoy it as anything other than trash. When people call this a masterpiece I'm just left scratching my head. The Hills Have Eyes is also incredibly boring to me.

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

He's got some greatness under his belt (damn I just set myself up for something, or you're welcome Wes :D), but a few sacks O shit as well.
    Ergo, I went with that option.
    NOES=Great
    New Nightmare=Great
    Hills Have Eyes=O.K. (kinda lame by today's standards, but holds up)
    Scream X3=Great (I like at least parts of all 3, first one was killer IMO)
    Last House=disturbing, but kinda boring
    Serpent=good for what it is, kinda boring
    Shocker=growing on me, used to hate it but after watching with comm. then without, I'm kinda liking it
    People Under The Stairs=O.K.
    Swamp Thing=total dogshit!

I can't think of or haven't seen the others. I won't bother with the shit he's attached his name to for money.

10. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Just finished watching Cursed and I must say... not that bad. Certainly not as bad as people are saying it is.

Granted I watched the Unrated cut. I think people just went along with this popular opinion that it's "the worst film ever" like they do with anything that has Craven's name on it or comes out of Dimension Films. Boogeyman and The Ring 2 were much worse than this.

I'm a little disappointed with the DVD though. Dimension never fails to keep deleted footage locked away (Mimic, The Faculty, They), and, with a film like this, it certainly would have been nice to see all of the cut scenes. They probably could have filled a second disc with it.

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Though he can be erratic,Craven is still a significant name in horror.He turned out one of the more influential "Murder in the Sticks" flicks with LAST HOUSE(not really a fave of mine,but influential) then braoadened that canvas with HILLS HAVE EYES.He revived the just petering out 80's slasher cycle with his supernaturally twisted NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET,then,years later helped to launch the wave of "ironic" slashers with SCREAM.You can argue wether the films that followed in the wake of both are good or bad,but he certainly made his mark.I think DEADLY BLESSING and SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW tend to be somewhat underrated,in both cases they stood out as offbeat films when compared to what was hot at the time.He's made some shakey,underbudgeted,unfocused pics,but on whole he deserves respect.

12. Severn

Severn Member

He's in the overated bin for me. The Last House on the Left didn't do much for me and doesn't deserve the label of classic. He just doesn't do much for me.

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I went with he has more misses than hits. The last good film I thought he did was the original scream. Had you asked me this question say 6 years ago, I probably would've answered differently. He has made some amazing films, though. Last Houshe on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.

14. Tad Ghostal

Tad Ghostal Guest

He's made a few classics. Nightmare on Elm Street and The Hills Have Eyes are two of my favorites. I thought the first Scream was good, although it ushered in a wave of shitty teen slashers. I never really understood what was the big deal with "Last House". I rented it once and thought it was lame.

15. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

He has more misses than hits. I like Last House, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Serpent and the Rainbow. But I found all his other stuff that I've seen quite forgettable.

16. Luna

Luna Guest

I voted quite a while ago, but I chose "He has some masterpieces but some stinkers too" because... yeah. :lol:

17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I went with the masterpieces/stinkers option.

He's made great movies like NOES, A New Nightmare, Last House On The Left, The Hills Have Eyes, and yes, I really enjoyed the Scream Trilogy....plus I enjoy Shocker and even the first 3/4 of Cursed. So yeah, he's got a good number of decent films.