WES CRAVEN: which movies do you hate the most?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by bloodthirsty, Nov 3, 2002.

?

Which WES CRAVEN movies do you hate the most?

1. 1972 - "Last House on the Left"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1977 - "The Hills Have Eyes"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1978 - "Stranger in Our House" - TV Movie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1981 - "Deadly Blessing"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1981 - "Swamp Thing"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 1984 - "The Hills Have Eyes Part II"

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  7. 1984 - "A Nightmare on Elm Street"

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. 1984 - "An Invitation To Hell" - TV Movie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 1985 - "Chiller" - TV Movie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1986 - "Deadly Friend"

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  11. 1986 - "Casebusters" - TV Special

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 1988 - "The Serpent and the Rainbow"

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  13. 1989 - "Shocker"

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  14. 1990 - "Night Visions" - TV Movie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 1991 - "The People Under the Stairs"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 1994 - "Wes Craven's New Nightmare"

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  17. 1995 - "Vampire in Brooklyn"

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  18. 1996 - "Scream"

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  19. 1997 - "Scream 2"

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  20. 2000 - "Scream 3"

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. Oh yeh, sorry - I got carried away.
    I voted for Scream 2, because at least Hills 2 had Michael Berryman in it - which is a plus point. The second Scream - and most of the first - were just fucking awful. Horrible cocky high school stereotypes, wearing lots of make-up, and major eyebrow plucking going on - and that was just the guys.

Sick.:fuck:

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I can't decide between Shocker and Swamp Thing, both are total shit IMO. There's a few I haven't seen (all the tv ones, not sure about People Under the Stairs or Hills 2, if I did see em I can't remeber.:confused: )
    I'll flip a coin later to vote.

3. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I voted for the People Under the Stairs. I just didn't get that movie. I love almost all horror, even crap, but that movie did nothing for me at all.

4. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

First, because it sucks, second because if SCREAM didn't exist there would be no SCREAM II and SCREAM III either!:p

5. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I voted for Scream 2. I haven't seen Scream 3 (called it quits after 2), but I would agree that the entire series is shit. In addition, I would like to add that I hate all the Scream rip-offs like I Know What You Did Last Summer and H20. Slasher films are not supposed to be "hip and trendy"! :mad:

6. David666

David666 Guest

The Eddie Murphey crap-o-rama "Vampire in Brooklyn" gets my vote, however Craven's lesser titles would have to be his TV films. Hills Have Eyes and Last House on the Left are far inferior to the Scream films and I can't understand the mentality that states the reverse.

Sure, Craven's made some bad films but this is really quite a bullshit poll, there are far worse directors out there... Jess Franco, Joe Diamato, Todd Sheets, Fred Olen Ray, Scott Dickerson, Hershal Gordon Lewis... just to name a few.

You can count on one hand the horror directors who have created a mythology that will withstadnt eh test of the ages...
    and Wes Craven is one of them.

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Yeah, sure. THE HILLS HAVE EYES is a classic, and SCREAM doesn't even come close to challenging it.

8. David666

David666 Guest

Care to state why?

It is so easy to jump on the Scream backlash bandwagon and repeat what so many others on here have already said, but I have yet to see why anyone would say Hills Have Eyes is a classic.

Like I said, its easy to repeat whay others have said, it's hard to stand on your own and go against the grain. So tell me, what makes the Hills have Eyes such a classic? The bad acting, the amaturish directing? The pointless violence that really goes nowhere? What?

When someone makes a mainstream film that is universally liked on here he and it are called "stylish." (The RIng, anyone?) When someone makes a mainstream film that is not well liked on here then he's called a sell-out. Double standards are bullshit.

9. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Wow! I still haven't seen The Hills Have Eyes, but from that description it sure sounds like a classic! :D

10. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The acting in THE HILLS HAVE EYES is not very bad at all IMO, and if you don't want to see "pointless" violence, stop watching horror. This film is Craven's best because it is gritty, bleak, intense, full of suspense, and is nicely acted with the great Michael Berryman at his best! It is a thought provoking film, and is very well done for such a low budgeted production. The film is relentless and disturbing, and those are some of the things a great horror film should be. I also admired Craven's idea to have the dog turn out as one of the main heroes.

Also, I don't jump on any of the little bandwagons that you speak of. I like what I like, and that is that! I don't think a bandwagon rider would state openly that he thinks THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT, HALLOWEEN 3, and LORD OF ILLUSIONS (aka Clive Barker's best film) are absolute classics, but I have stated this numerous times on several boards! I also didn't hop onto the everyone loves LOTR bandwagon. Why? Because I didn't like the film! So, take your arrogant little assumptions elsewhere, because they don't apply to me!

11. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

nicely put Cujo

now i wanna hear why David thinks Scream is a better film then Last House on the Left

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

It is tough to compare SCREAM with LHTOL or THHE because they represent Craven in two very different stages in life. LHOTL and THHE lack polish, to be sure, but that lends to the films' gritty realism. Had they been as stylish and as professional as SCREAM the desired intent of the movies to horrify on a personal level would be lost. From ANOES onward, Craven developed a true understanding of the film medium, and his films changed considerably both thematically and technically. The fact that SCREAM is so professionally done makes it all the more satirical, which was the intent of Craven. Had it looked like LHOTL then it would have been taken much more seriously than it should have been.

So basically, I really can't see how one could vouch either way by comparison of Craven's earlier work to his newer stuff. They represent two different directors. We may as well try and compare the original NOSFERATU with THE EVIL DEAD.

13. Everybody loves Carnival of Souls? Or doesn't this one count?

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

Wes did not direct COS, he just the Executive Producer.

15. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Craven

My vote went to the abysmal Hills Have Eyes sequel. It also gets top honor for being the worst horror sequel ever!
    The Scream sequels were craptastic. I like how in Part 2, the characters were talking about crappy sequels. Well, you're in one! Sheer genius on Craven's part...:p
    Deadly Friend had a cool death by basketball scene. That's the only positive thing to say about the movie.
    Shocker was better than The Horror Show, (Another murderer gets electrocuted and seeks supernatural revenge movie.) but that's not saying much. Vampire in Brooklyn was neither funny nor scary. What was the point?
    So, Craven has made his fair share of stinkers. Thankfully, he's not in the same company with hack, Hooper. I'll still check out his upcoming movies.

16. Broken

Broken Guest

I hate NMOES when I was 14 I thought they were good. Now that I have become a man they are junk.
    :fire: :fire: :fire:

17. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

Any news on a release date for The Hills Have Eyes dvd?
    I still haven`t seen this bloody film yet!

18. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

i went with Scream 3, but If i had noticed Vampire in Brooklyn, it would have been that. I liked most of the movies he's directed that i've seen...but he's got a few up there that are beyond shit.

19. Wermode

Wermode New Member

American horror has been on a huge downward spiral since it became lightweight pop kidstuff in the early 1980's. Wes Craven is the poster child for that "movement" as evidenced by the list above. Scream in an embarassment to the genre, and the sequels fall deeper and deeper into the shitty abyss. I had to go with Scream 3.

20. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

I had to go with Scream 3. I really hate it when movies try to go back and re-write the first parts...letting you know that there was a secret all along that you were not aware of until the final act. Scream was not written as a trilogy therefore the ending of part 3 pisses me off. To me it was just a cheap way of getting a "Oh Wow..I didnt see that coming" out of the audience. I really hope that the Matrix sequels don't do that.