Wes Craven's SHOCKER DVD

Discussion in 'General' started by Richard Anthony, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

Has anyone picked up the new Universal DVD of Wes Craven's SHOCKER? Any thoughts on how it looks, how is the transfer? I love this film, I think it's one of Craven's overlooked gems, I saw it at Walmart the other night, and I want to pick it up soon. So, how does it look, is it a top notch transfer?

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I haven't seen it and I don't own it, but based on their great work with THEY LIVE, I can say that it should be a wonderful transfer. You can't lose for only $10 if you love the film. :)

Unfortunately, I've never seen the film. It may be time for a rental soon. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2003
  3. puddytay

puddytay Guest

I have the old one and thought the idea of the movie was cool but overall it kinda sucked. It was slow paced and very unbelivable. I loved it as a kid. But now I just dont know.

4. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I heard the older release had a rather good transfer, so I assume this one will be as good as or better looking than that one. I thought the movie was alright for most of the running time, then something happened and they totally lost me. I mean I knew what was going on, just it went from pretty serious and decent to ridiculously goofy and awful within a few seconds at about the hour and ten minute mark.

I may have been hallucinating, but didn't the killer turn into a chair with eyeballs at one point? Kinda looked Chairy from Pee-Wee's Playhouse-ish. Terrible.

5. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

yep, totaly cheese ball movie but i like it alot. your right about that spoiler though.
    but thats one of the best inside a tv channel changin sequences ever

6. blairmonster

blairmonster Guest

Completely unrelated, but love your Avatar, Wizzer:

Cappa-town! Pootie Tang is the King :D

7. I picked it up the other day and watched it today. This isn't a new release, it's the same old one from before. People Under The Stairs and Serpent and the Rainbow are both new releases but Shocker was just the previous release stuck in the boxset.

The transfer isn't superior by any stretch of the imagination but it's not bad either, there are a few instances of artifacting and the picture could have been a bit sharper as could the colors. Blacks were a bit light but overall for an older release it's not bad and definitely not bad for the 10 dollar price tag.

8. Administrator

Administrator Administrator Staff Member

It's become obligatory in these threads to mention the vastly superior R2 version that is available. Superior in the sense that it contains extras, like an audio commentary with Wes Craven.

9. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

Yes i got the region 2 version from play for something like £6.50, the transfer is great, haven`t got round to listening to the commentary yet though.

10. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll pick it up this week at Walmart. I still have my old VHS of the film, and it will be nice to have it on DVD as well. So, this is an older transfer while the new Carpenter DVDS have brand new transfers? SHOCKER is a wild Horror film, and one of Craven's best, there so many clever and effective scenes in this film. I remember when the film came out, and everyone was talking about Horace Pinker becoming the next big Horror Hero, but the film wasn't a big hit, so it never happened. I love the film, and I love the soundtrack too!

11. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I picked up the R2 dvd in a trade a few months, and after listening to the commentary, actually started to like the movie again.
    Wes is a good commentator, although there are long strechs where he says nothing, but when he's talking, it's worth listening to.
    I planned on listening to the comm. once and trading this, but after listening decided to keep the disc.

12. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

I agree about Wes Craven, his Commentary Tracks are among my favorites. I love listening to Wes talk about films, he always has some insightful, and interesting things to say. Wes Craven is one of my Top Favorite directors, not only is he a Master of Horror, but he also a very intelligent man as well, he brings so much knowledge and insight whenever he is interviewed, or speaks about films, so I love the fact that they included 'The Directors: Wes Craven' on the new HILLS HAVE EYES DVD, this is such a Great Extra!!