What annoys you?

Discussion in 'General' started by C.R, Jan 4, 2001.

1. C.R

C.R Guest

Any films that make you feel 'hey, that goes waaay to far'? Any thing that really pisses you off? Misogyny riles me up... I guess I'm not aloud to say that what I think of The New York Ripper because last time I did the moderator of this site (which is fab by the way) censored me which is, may I say, REALLY HYPOCRITICAL given the 'freedom of speech thing' (but obviously not if it offends ye mighty web site owner huh?). Anyhow, what does annoy you in horror? Would be interested in hearing.

------------------
    [LINK REMOVED]

[Note: This message has been edited by Admin]

2. It really pisses me off that companies like Anchor Bay slack off. For example...Sleepaway Camp. HELLO the normal print is available almost everywhere. They just happened to get the only one with missing footage. I'm glad I didn't buy this DVD. I also hate it when a DVD I bought comes out like 4 months later unannounced as a huge definitive special edition. That's why I haven't bought Tenebre yet, if Anchor Bay releases an anamorphic transfer they might as will fix everything else that's wrong with it and put it in an LE tin like Suspiria and Opera.

3. Ugh I didn't even press submit twice, Dave please delete the first reply.

4. nimereht

nimereht Guest

Teenie bopper movies masquerading as horror movies really piss me off!!!! if i see one more trailer for these suck ass movies i will go over the edge! i.e scream et al.. how any self respecting "horror" fan can like these movies is beyond me...

the other thing that pisses me off is the whole comic book/dvd mentality...oohhh, the special limited edition of evil dead with a lock of sam raimi's hair! i'll buy 3, and bury them behind my house so that no light or air can get at them, thusly adding to their value!

sorry, i've had a bad day...

5. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

I don't think I find any one thing goes "over the top" for me consistently. Some aspects of some films make me uncomfortable, but it's more on a case-by-case basis.

I didn't see the flame-bait post on NYR - was too busy reading the Salo stuff [​IMG] - but there are times that film makes me uncomfortable in terms of mysogyny.

On the other hand, plenty of other perfectly mysogynistic stuff doesn't. I think it depends in part on the tone of the scene and tone of the film - for instance, quasi-rape/kill scenes (i.e. the opening of Evil Dead Trap or some of the NYR scenes) usually leave me cringing, but a good one can be a powerful part of a movie (i.e. the opening of Evil Dead Trap setting the mood), whereas I usually think consensual-sex/kill scenes are kind of funny (i.e. Jason Goes to Hell).

The thing is, and I say this in hopes of avoiding another flame war, stuff I don't think is for me, I usually don't see. Salo, for instance, holds zero interest for me. So I have no intention of tracking down a copy. I Spit on Your Grave is another one I just can't bring myself to watch.

I would imagine the animal killings that have been discussed in some of those cannibal movies may be uncomfortable, but I haven't seen any, so can't say.

Just my opinion on all of this, but I enjoy horror movies because they're fun, and scary, and I don't watch them to vent any sort of rage - and it's that kind of mean-spirited attitude in some films that bothers me.

Don't hate me, y'all. [​IMG]

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Things that really annoy me include...

Excessive delays on DVD release (ie, where's A Better Place????????)

Trying to do do anything on Windows Me, the most self-centered, slow and uncooperative operating system ever. I'm going to dig a bottomless pit and throw the CD in it.

Reading GARFIELD every morning. Is it just me, or did Jim Davis run out of ideas a loooooong time ago?

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

C.R.

First up - I'm the owner of this site. I didn't delete your post, a moderator did. That being said, I fully support his actions. The percentage of moderation here where we actually take action is probably about .5%. I saw your post. It seemed like flame bait to me too.

Just don't start personal attacks, and don't try to start flame wars. Then you'll be fine. [​IMG]

------------------
    David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
    Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

On to the topic at hand...

I have Last House on the Left DVD coming in tomorrow. While I'm not really for misogyny, I can separate the difference between fact and fiction. It IS just a movie, after all. Seeing people murdered in the news upsets me, yet I have no problem watching fictitious movies where people are being hacked up left and right.

Movies involving misogyny aren't particularly my thing, but it would upset me to watch one for review purposes or what not. Same thing with cannibal movies. I don't like them, but I'll watch one to review on the site (e.g. Mountain of the Cannibal God, Cannibal Ferox).

What does bother me is that when these movies have real animal violence. I do understand the animals die in nature every day, but to add it into a movie for entertainment value (?) - I find that disgusting.

------------------

9. Dave I was asking him to delete my post, I wasn't complaining about it. It came up twice on the board and I realized that after it returned me to the topic. I didn't know you weren't the moderator.

10. Dave

Dave Pimp

Argento Fan 2003

Huh? I wasn't addressing you. My comment was towards C.R. about an entirely different issue. Nothing to do with your double post....

[​IMG]

------------------

11. Sorry about that!

12. C.R

C.R Guest

flamebait or not it is still my right to express myself right? you are, thus, pro censorship mefriend and any arguement to the contrary is wank!!! you didn't agree with what I said you think it should never be said. Hmmm, kinda censorious don't yout hink. Just keep up the good site and stop trying to justify censorship on things YOU find personally offensive. I'm with the guy on rape... but Last house is a really meaningful and powerful film. The DVD release looks ace.

------------------
    [LINK REMOVED]

13. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Jeremy, I agree with you. I've had A Better Place on preorder with express.com since 1/13/00 ! I'm really getting tired of waiting for it to come out.

C.R. - I'm the one who deleted your post. If you are going to cry about it, say something to me, the one who deleted it. Give it a rest already. I understand eveyone has their own views but no one appreciates when someone posts a message to attack someone personally like you did in that post,It is uncalled for and will not be tolerated. End of discussion.

14. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Will the madness ever end?

I thought we'd seen the end of these showdowns in the forum section.

Chill out C.R. and curb the bad language. Your post looks to me like another attempt to start another round of arguments. Debating the merits of any film is fine but I for one am growing tired of the same age old issues being churned out regarding censorship, morality, etc. As I've said before, this is a friendly, intelligent site. There's really no excuses for bad language or aggressive tones. Am I being over sensitive? Guys, tell me if I'm wrong.

15. Dave

Dave Pimp

Okay. I'm pro censorship. Deal with it or leave. Your choice.

DVD Connoisseur - You're not being over sensative at all. You're absolutely right.

------------------

16. ctyner

ctyner Member

This board isn't a democracy, C.R., and if you don't like it...well...there are enough forums out there that you might find something better suited to your needs.

Personally, I don't find Dave and the mods to be heavy-handed at all. Closed threads and deleted posts seem to be very rare occurrences here...

------------------
    My DVD list | bigwolfoncampus.org

17. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

Hey, CR, I tried to put up an intelligent, reasonable response in an effort to further an intelligent, reasonable discussion. It seemed like it would be fun.

But now you're going and getting insulting again. (Not to me personally, but to Dave and the mods, who do a great job on this site and forum IMHO.) The horse is dead (yeah, I know, animal cruelty) so quit beatin' it. Please.

You make some good points during your posts, I think, but any valid argument you make is likely to get lost amid the hard feelings you provoke.

To relate this to the thread, it's like these cannibal movies might be good, but the animal death stuff annoys and upsets people. Your thoughts might be good, but the name-calling annoys and upsets people.

I hope you can take this more as advice than criticism.

18. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Certainly. The problem is the way you're expressing yourself. Take your comments on cannibal films - a lot of people don't like the animal violence and are revolted by it, just like you. However, you're confrontational tone, and your ability to be just plain rude, turned everyone against you. Same with your comments on Salo and New York Ripper.

Oh, the irony.

19. C.R

C.R Guest

Well, if you're pro-censorship then that's cool. At least you admitted it. Fair game. But my New York ripper post was not a personal attack on anyone at all. In fact, it was merely a personal point of view and one which many people I know actually hold. Surely, then, such views have the right to be spoken? Ultimately it leads back to what annoys me and apart from such obvious things as animal torture, the one thing that really does annoy me is misogyny. I hate it when a film exists purely to demonstrate bound or naked women being hacked up or abused. The New york ripper is such a film, and I can think of others. Perhaps anyone else agrees or disagrees?

------------------
    [LINK REMOVED]

20. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

I have to agree with Dave in that seeing stories of murder, cannibalism, rape, various forms of abuse (animal or human), torture, etc. in the news is really very unsettling. What I find annoying is that the media seems to feel the need to sensationalize these types of stories. However, in movies, anything goes for me since I know it's not real. I don't think I've ever seen anything in a movie that's too much for mee to handle.