What are some of your favorite slasher flicks?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by shift, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Zombi 2

Zombi 2 Guest

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my favorite slasher movie. Other than that . . . well, I'm not that into the slasher sub-genre.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'm not a slahser fan because they tend to be so formulaic.

Having said that, Halloween is one of my favorite films overall, so that counts. Funhouse is good too. I have stagefright, watchd it once, must give it another try. I have not seen The Burning in many years, but would buy a decent uncut version. Friday the 13th just does nothing for me. I enjoyd them at the time. I recently rented the first one again, and didn't enjoy it. Maybe a THIRD try?

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I like most of them, don't got a specific fave:

Hospital Massacre
    The House On Sorority Row
    Black Christmas
    Halloween
    Scream
    The Burning etc

There's only one I couldn't really get into, even after multiple viewings

Final Exam

:sleepy:

I love cheese but this one did nothing for me at all. Gimme The Dorm That Dripped Blood, The Initiation or Graduation Day anytime :)

4. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

This is a funny question since there are VERY few slashers that I don't like. My favorites range from classics like Black Christmas and Friday the 13th, to nearly forgotten trash like New Year's Evil and Silent Madness, & right on through the absurdly bad like Carnival of Blood and Don't Go in the Woods.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

See, that is exactly why I didn't answer this question, it is too damn hard. Favorite slashers? I love far too many, being slasher girl and all. If a slasher comes out, I am there and will most likely love it. It would be easier to name the handful I didn't like.

And New Year's Evil is one of my favorites, that is some top quality trash right there. I fear that I will have my vhs of that movie until the end of time, as I don't see a dvd release coming any time soon.

6. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

YOU GOTTA PUT IN:

CUTTING CLASS
    THE PAPERBOY

7. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

I think I'll do that. Ones I don't like, off the top of my head:

To All a Good Night
    Trick or Treat (1982)
    Blood Tracks......

I think the thing that draws me to New Year's Evil most is that it was made at the height of the new wave scene. The cheesy songs, the makeup and everything - love it. Can't you see Flock of Seagulls playing in that club?

8. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Sleepaway Camp
    Black Christmas
    My Bloody Valentine
    Happy Birthday to Me
    Terror Train
    House on Sorority Row
    Stage Fright
    Curtains
    Pieces
    Prom Night

Those are my usual top 10, but I also love

Halloween
    Just Before Dawn
    Scream
    Hell Night
    April Fool's Day
    Twitch of the Death Nerve
    Final Exam
    Alice, Sweet Alice
    Night School

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  9. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

And the award for thread revival goes to...

10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

11. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

How are "Squirm" and "Blue Sunshine" considered slashers? :confused:

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

No, you don't.

13. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

OMG exactly I agree those movies suck! :fuck:

14. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'll limit my list to the so called "classic age" if slashers (from HALLOWEEN to the mid 80's).There's some fine films that would make the slasher cut BEFORE the release of HALLOWEEN (sometimes called Proto Slashers) as well as the Post Modern ,self aware types that followed SCREAM,but I'll stick to the heyday of the cycle.

In no particular order...

HALLOWEEN
    FRIDAY THE 13TH
    A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET
    THE PROWLER
    MY BLOODY VALENTINE
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME
    PROM NIGHT
    ALONE IN THE DARK
    APRIL FOOLS DAY
    CURTAINS
    EYES OF A STRANGER
    VISITING HOURS

Looking at that list I noticed that nearly half of my slasher faves are Canadian,thanks to our neighbors to the North !

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  15. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

God, I love 80s slashers but Cutting Class is seriously... like, its faults are essentially the same ones afflicting most modern days slashers.

I think it's funny that all of these years after getting into slasher films, looking back, the 1970s-1980s really were golden age in terms of quality too. Some chalk it up to nostalgia but no. I don't believe that's fair at all. There are distinct differences between now and then, where it seems fans make them now but actual filmmakers with alterior visions helmed the chair before. We recognize what we like and what makes them work opposed to the negative critics of classics, but when modern directors apply this they often fail. I think that in its experimental and classic era there were ways to take risks with the genre. While now we do have post-Scream syndrome with twists and flips on the way it works, the core structure of it is very boring.

F13 1-5
    Sleepaway Camp
    Night School
    My Bloody Valentine
    The Burning
    Terror Train
    Humongous
    Bloody Moon
    The Prowler
    House on Sorority Row
    Alice Sweet Alice
    Girls Nite Out
    Happy Birthday to Me

And so so much more.

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Well, many years later I must say Final Exam grew on me thanks to the DVD. Its not one of my favorites but I do get a kick out of Radish. He is the highlight of the movie no doubt.

17. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

How would you actually characterize slashers today? Scream 4 is just about the only movie that revived the 90's formula, except Hellraiser: Hellworld which tried to combine Scream and Saw (I'm not kidding, there is a trap-design to most of the death scenes while the characters and dialogue are very late 90's). That's the last time we had a solid formula. Which died with Wrong Turn and the rise of the hard-survival flicks.

But there is definitely a nostalgia at work with 80's slashers. How many people on this very board have been posting, in regards to Friday the 13th, "what's so special about it?" Same thing with people who actually saw stuff like My Bloody Valentine and The Burning when they were younger, they think they are better films than they really are.

I say slashers don't exist today. They were incorporated into the run-and-hide survival-genre, where more than half of the movie can feature the characters hiding while their party numbers dwindle down.

18. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

What about You're Next then?

That's probably the most slasher oriented film that's come out in a while. It's got pretty much every slasher cliche (though I don't recall any POV), it may seem like a home invasion film, but it's still more of a slasher film if anything?

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

You're Next is a slasher film, but it also fits perfectly into DVD-fanatic's description of modern slashers falling into the "run-and-hide survival-genre". Same goes for other recent slasher fare like No One Lives or The Collection. So they are slasher films, but they do lean a little too heavily into other subgenres.

It seemed like there was going to be a revival of the slasher genre back in 2009 with the theatrical releases of the My Bloody Valentine, Friday The 13th, and Sorority Row remakes, but that died pretty quickly.

Slashers do still exist, but they're largely relegated to the straight-to-DVD market. Which is too bad, because slasher films are really the only thing I'll go out of my way to see at the theater these days.

20. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

There is definitely a nostalgia at work with every era. 20s-90s, and continuing as we continue to move. What I'm saying is that it is not JUST that. As you described, it's a survival horror now. Slashers are changing despite what people are saying about them just being the same.