What are some of your rare buys / finds?

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Dave, Apr 20, 2003.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

My bad Dave, I haven't checked my PM's all week.
    I'm for sure interested!
    Email me at bigdaddyhorse420@yahoo.com with details!
    Thanks!

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

Too late, Big Whore. I sold it to Paff for $25.00. Sorry. :eek1:

3. bigdaddyhorse

Juegottabefuckinkiddinmemang!

That's it, Paff is getting killed wheter I get bananaed or not!
    :D :D :D

4. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

holy shit, I would have paid more than that, unless of course you are being sarcastic.:D

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hmm....I think that's a bindable agreement, right?

Check will be in the mail tomorrow....

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Yep, they sure do, although they're nothing that you can't find in any old record store, or Hot Topic. Frankly, Newbury Comics has become a bit too trendy for my tastes. You can still find cool stuff there though. I just wish they'd get it together and lower the prices on used DVDs. It's kind of silly to pay the same as you would for a brand new disc at Best Buy (located just down the street).

Which Newbury did you use to go to?

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Why, the one on Newbury Street naturally....

And the T-Shirts I'm talking about are the Newbury Comics shirts ("A wicked good time").

8. Rock

Rock Member

Where do you guys even find laserdiscs these days? I NEVER see them around the Bay Area anywhere, ever...or I'm just not looking carefully enough in the right places...?

9. bigdaddyhorse

You find em here!
    Actually you aren't gonna find em at many, if any stores anymore. There's some online sites, check some older threads. I haven't ordered any from the online sites, just won some off ebay and bought some here and there. There is a video liquitor store about a half hour from me that still has tons of lasers, but nothing really good. The good shit you get from collectors, or pay big $ on ebay!

10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Here are some places in the Bay Area for you to visit: when in San Francisco: Streetlight Records on Upper Market has used LD's (I have found most of my gems there at cutrate prices and their section never shrinks), Ameoba Records at the end of the Haight (again - you'll probably find something although the LD section isn't as big as it used to be) and in the shopping district downtown (right next to the cable car turnaround - next door to Blondie's Pizza) there's Rasputin Records and their used LD section in on the fourth floor. In Santa Cruz, go to their Streetlight Records store. In Berkeley their Ameoba store has Laserdiscs as well.

11. Rock

Rock Member

Thanks, wago!

12. bigdaddyhorse

I don't know if this counts as rare, or if anyone cares, but I just stopped at an out of the way indie Video Hut yesterday that had about 5 lasers still for sale. One was Nightmare On Elm St. 5, the un-cut version. For $5 I grabbed it since the dvd is cut.
    Dude working there looked shocked someone was buying a laser, I was about to fuck with him and ask if it would play in my dvd or record player, but didn't bother!:D

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oh, I forgot to mention, I once picked up The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (widescreen) at a used LD sale for $10

14. Blade

Blade Guest

I would like to know if the Saving Private Ryan laserdisc is considered are? I know it's one of the last ones...

15. Dave

Dave Pimp

SPR isn't rare, as there are superior DVDs out there already (especially the DTS one - full bitratealicious) and it had at least a few pressings (mainly because there was no sign of an SPR DVD when the LD came out).

16. Blade

Blade Guest

Thank's for clearing that up for me Dave!

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Rock - one more place: I was on the number 2 bus and there's a video store that is selling all their laserdiscs. It is on Sutter Street and Hyde (actually, it's closer to Leavenworth). I let you know what I find since I'm going there after work tonight.

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The Saving Private Ryan LD isn't TOO rare, but it is a piece of work. The AC-3 sound is fabulous. I've never heard the DTS DVD, but I've been told that the AC-3 LD sounds damn near as good. I do have to say it's one of the best LDs I've ever seen sound/picture-wise. If you're a LD collector, it's definitely a disc to have.

19. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

Jodorowsky

Hello :)

I have the second Japanese LD release of EL TOPO and the first LD release of THE HOLY MOUNTAIN. I also have the second release of THE HOLY MOUNTAIN but the disc is warped.

I also have Argento's SUSPIRIA 2 (Japanese LD of DEEP RED) and this is the most complete English language version in WIDESCREEN. Basically imagine the Anchor Bay release with the Italian only language parts cut out. In my opinion this is the best cut of the film. Though the quality of the LD ain't bad the Anchor Bay version sure blows it away. I'm still happy to have it though.

I also have the big SILVER box set of DAWN OF THE DEAD that came out in Japan long before any of the remastered USA LD versions came out. It has the "Director's cut" and Argento's cut of the film across 4 LaserDiscs each come in gatefold sleeves inside the silver box. Came with a booklet that I have signed by Tom Savini and George Romero.

Probably the only other extremely rare LD I have is the Japanese release of Lugi Cozzi's documentary on Argento entitled MASTER OF HORROR which was a sequel of sorts to Michele Soavi's DARIO ARGENTO'S WORLD OF HORROR (which I also have on Japanese LD).

I have the Criterion LD of SALO or THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM but it is stuck in a LaserDisc player that broke on me about a year ago and I haven't bothered to get it fixed. One of these days I'll either get it fixed or just pull the sucker apart to get the LD out.

Oh yeah I still have the USA LD of Fulci's A CAT IN THE BRAIN ... glad I kept onto that. Just watched it a couple weeks ago too after recording it to a Panasonic stand alone DVD recorder :)

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    I have the Japanese LD of THE EVIL DEAD and despite the burned in Japanese subtitles I still think this looks better than any other version I've seen including the Elite LD and all of the DVD releases (including the BOOK OF THE DEAD version).
    Oh yeah and the Elite LaserDisc of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is better than the US Pioneer DVD release.

20. Blade

Blade Guest

Hey,

Is anyone familiar with "A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master - Elm Street: The Making of a Nightmare"? It''s supposed to be a making of NOE 4 on laserdisc. Is this available on dvd or considered special or rare?