What are the best looking blu-ray titles?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by maybrick, May 28, 2011.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The American Graffiti Blu-ray looks quite amazing. It's a huge visual upgrade from the old DVD transfer. I'd rank it up there near the top as far as 70's films on Blu-ray are concerned. There's some screen comparisons here.

2. lizapetaz

lizapetaz New Member

I know blu-ray discs have not been out that long but I was wondering which one has sold the most so far.

3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The Road Warrior Blu Ray is out of print?

Is there another release on the horizon or should I pick this up a fast as possible?

Price went up 135% on Amazon.

4. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

There might be one on the horizon...as Miller is in the process of filming two sequels.

However, that Amazon price isn't accurate. Its a third party stock that's being fulfilled by Amazon. I'd wait for Amazon to get more in stock themselves or buy it from a different third-party seller if you want it ASAP. StarMedia has it at $16.95 + shipping.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Thanks, but as far as waiting for Amazon to get more in stock. I doubt it's going to happen. It's out of print.

And regarding major stores, nobody has it. Plenty of Mad Max's everywhere. Then again it's a different studio.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The Road Warrior is out of print and has been since January at the very least. I'm sure there will be a reissue when and if the sequel is completed, but for the time being, 3rd party sellers are your best bet.

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

That's what I figured. I heard it's quite a pristine looking Blu Ray too.

8. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

If it is OOP why not pick it up then?...especially when you can find it on numerous websites for under $15?...plus its a significant upgrade to the DVD. Pull the trigger, or fend for yourself in the wastes!!

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Recently picked up Terminator cuz it was only $5 at Best Buy (2 weeks ago, think it's still $8 now) and one of my all time favorites.

Besides some funny noise looking shit when Arnold arrived in the film, it looked exactly how I recall it looking in the theater when I went to see it 5 times on it's initial run. As bad as some shots look due to cheap film stock and effects mattes, unfucked with daytime shots look near perfect. It does make the cheap effects stand out a bit though. Not nearly as bad reviews had me expecting, it's either this or Predatorized, I'll take this!

10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

if your desperate for road warrior (mad max 2), why not pick up the UK edition, it's region free and still in print so pretty cheap on amazon.co.uk, it's worth the upgrade, the night scenes are a little shabby (maybe being overly critical), but day time scenes look superb and it's also the uncut print, so for me 2 reasons to definately own this.

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info , but I think so is the US version. It's the uncut print too.

Also on a side note, I'm not so desperate to get the Blu-Ray. But I figure I pick it up if there was no replacement in the foreseeable future. And I HATE to double dip, especially on Blu-Ray's. That's just plain stupid. Learned my lesson years ago, and will never do it again if I can help it. That's why I try to research as much as possible before buying. If another version is coming out in 2 years, that's better than this release, then I will wait. No more wasting money or shelf space.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Yellow Submarine. Anybody who is a Beatles' fan and doesn't upgrade is just plain crazy. It blows the old MGM non anamorphic DVD out of the water.

13. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

It's the best I've ever seen it. The Blu-Ray.com review indicates that there might be a color-timing issue, but I didn't find it particularly bothersome. The night scenes, are probably more of a shooting condition issue than an issue with the disc itself.

14. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I heard bad things about it, but found it for less than $5 too. Haven't looked at it, but it is one of my all time favs, so I couldn't pass it up!

Didn't know Road Warrior was out of print. Glad I grabbed it. It was one of my first Blus. Never bought the DVD and it is another of my all time favs. It looks fantastic on Blu!!