What are your thoughts on John Carpenter returning to Halloween?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by Dave, May 31, 2016.

By Dave on May 31, 2016 at 8:41 PM
  1. Dave

Dave Pimp

From http://deadline.com/2016/05/john-carpenter-halloween-miramax-trancas-blumhouse-1201761796/

Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories
?

What are your thoughts on John Carpenter returning to Halloween?

1. Disappointed. He is washed up. Obvious cash grab.

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Meh.

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. Can't be worse than what Zombie did.

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. I'll wait and see.

26 vote(s)
    33.8%
  5. Excited!

20 vote(s)
    26.0%

Comments

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by Dave, May 31, 2016.

1. rxfiend
      rxfiend
      I am excited, especially since he is helping score the movie!
    2. fceurich39
      fceurich39
      yep looking forward to him being back in some capacity
    3. buck135
      buck135
      I just don't see how Michael Myers can have the effect in 2016 as he did in 1978. We are all going to see it, but is the boogeyman going to appeal to younger generations? There are greater fears in the world these days than an escaped mental patient. I'm happy to see John Carpenter is involved (especially with the soundtrack) despite it being easy money for him. If the mask is similar to H1 and H2, my excitement level will really escalate.
    4. rkellner
      rkellner
      If you could insert one name into the following statement, who would you pick? "Great news. Bloomhouse is doing a new Halloween movie and _____ is going to produce it." Well you would obviously pick John Carpenter...unless you were thinking outside the box and picked Adam Wingard or Chan-Wook Park.

Now, does that make the announcement of an 11th Halloween movie where Michael Myers walks around slowly stabbing teenagers interesting? We will have to see. I am encouraged by JC stating that Michael is a simple one dimensional character and that is where the remakes went wrong, but what is left to be said?

I will however be very interested to hear the soundtrack if JC and his band are doing it. Lost Themes II is awesome.
    5. Mok
      Mok
      There will be a movie that has Michael Myers in it, therefore I will go and see it :D

John Carpenter's involvement will be interesting at the very least.
    6. Workshed
      Workshed
      What was the last film John Carpenter improved by directing or producing? 2010's The Ward? 2005's The Fog?

His track record doesn't look so hot to me of late, so I don't consider this anything more than "Can't be worse than Rob Zombie" news.
    7. Anthropophagus
      Anthropophagus
      I don't see the Myers character resonating with younger audiences too much, and to most of them Carpenter means very little.
      I think it could be a modest success and I do love Carpenter, but with the slew of slasher films readily available on Netflix I think this film is set up to have very little impact IMO.
      It seems that supernatural horrors dominate the box office these days, to contemporary audiences Michael is probably just one tired old boogeyman.
      I do hope I'm wrong.
    8. MorallySound
      MorallySound
    9. ImmortalSlasher
      ImmortalSlasher
      I'm going to wait and see what they come up with. Carpenter is a plus though. But remember his last movie I think was The Ward. Which was a major disappointment for me.
    10. Swampthing82
      Swampthing82
      I think Halloween is a name brand that will always attract audiences. Like Friday the 13th or Texas Chainsaw. Will the product actually be any good? That's the big question. I really hope so.
      Anthropophagus likes this.
    11. MisterTwister
      MisterTwister
      I rather that Rob Zombie be involved. Why? Because the bitching from fanboys would be legendary...EVEN IN HELL!
    12. maybrick
      maybrick
      Rob Zombie should do the next Evil Dead movie. Because that way certain people can really bitch about it. I'm not naming any names.
    13. Workshed
      Workshed
      John Carpenter offers his balanced opinion on Rob Zombie and the remake:

14. Harry Warden
      Harry Warden
      They need to give this entire franchise a rest. Christ, how many Halloween, Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street movies do we really need?
    15. ImmortalSlasher
      ImmortalSlasher
      Not surprised at Carpenter's thoughts. I still can't believe that Zombie got away with making those two movies. It's like he just didn't get Halloween at all.
    16. Mok
      Mok
      Apparently they spoke over the weekend and Carpenter said they buried the hatchet. Classy of Rob not to fire back. I feel lucky to have lived in the era of both these guys.
      Zombie Dude likes this.
    17. DVD-fanatic-9
      DVD-fanatic-9
      After seeing both of Rob Zombie's directors cuts this year, I'd be very interested in a 3rd. But I doubt Zombie would.

On the other hand, Zombie's ideas are still the exact opposite of anything I would ever have "allowed" were it up to me. Zombie continued all the worst trends destroying the horror genre when he made both films. He just... did them so well that I had to respect him for it. There is still a vastly better way to make another Halloween film. And if Carpenter can do it like he - and Debra Hill - did it in 1978, even Rob Zombie will have to salute him for doing it better.
      Mok likes this.
    18. Mok
      Mok
      Carpenter has kind of put the preassure on himself now in a way. Hope he delivers.
      Last edited: Sep 30, 2016