What Country's Horror Films Do You Have the Hardest Time Enjoying?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Jan 16, 2010.

?

What Country's Horror Films Do You Have the Hardest Time Enjoying?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2010.
  1. American

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Canadian

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. Italian

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. French

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  5. Japanese

37 vote(s)
    36.6%
  6. Spanish

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. Australian

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. British

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  9. German

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  10. Indian

33 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Wow. I can't believe that so many people voted for Japan--I always thought I was pretty much alone in my dislike of Asian horror! I've always hated how obsessed they are with wet children, wet hair, and....water. There must be something in their culture revolving around those because they can't seem to think about much else. Yawn.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Well they are surrounded by it.

[​IMG]

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I don't think I've ever seen a wet-ghost movie before. I'm intrigued... :D

Sorry... But, I thought it was like an overlong episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Is it too much to ask for them to put something eerie in the movie?

This is a thing with me and classic horror, though. Everyone has their weak spot(s). Mine is classic horror. I just don't get it. They feel more like books on film. You have to read everything. With almost no actual thrill as you watch. Only a few scenes or images giving me the slightest chill.

However, I'm also not the first person to feel those classics are a little stiff. Especially the people. Hard to relate to those goneby eras. And the conservative mannerisms of everyone (to the point of resembling corpses). Much more implied rather than said and done. Even the shocking films of the time (The Loved One) are too tame. And when it comes to horror, it feels like 2nd rate drama. I much prefer classic comedies. It's almost like they're lampooning what I find ridiculous about the serious movies that were made back then.

How so?

God, I wish I had.

Ehhh, they all say that. But we're talking about a decade that thought the key to "saving" horror from the last 3 stale years of the 90's was to take out most of horror's bread and butter and taint what was left with bad conventions from the thriller and exploitation genres. Art was replaced with technology and atmosphere (again, what was left) with "grittiness." The satire in horror was wiped away by throwback films. The payoffs of dark humor were replaced with the novelty of lousy graphic death scenes (they mean nothing without proper buildup) in films like Hatchet, Mirrors, and Haute Tension- none of which I remember enjoying (actually - I did like the taxi cab victim in Carpenter's 1st season contribution to Masters of Horror). Creepiness was replaced with screeching factory sound effects. Methodical pacing was eviscerated by shaky camera and "high-voltage" (though, I yawned through all of it) action scenes that have been dubbed by so many online review outlets as "brutal" and "extreme," mostly consisting of torture and people running. What can I say? When a character runs in a horror film, the camera should stay STILL in some shots so that the sound design and music can get a shot in upping the tension. Granted there be something unique in the sound / music department that doesn't sound like every other survival "horror" film out there.

99% of the films you've been pimping from 00-09 are action-thrillers that called themselves horror. Not actually horror.

I live for horror. True horror. But that doesn't mean I'm going to embrace those new-millennium twit posers making shitty survival-horror films that feel more like Se7en, The Silence of the Lambs, Kiss the Girls, and Kalifornia (and even that was more artistic, exciting, and intelligent than the trend we're talking about here) did in the 90's. The new-millennium is 90's-lite (especially in all areas dealing with intelligence and psychology) trying to be the new 70's. Yet, each step of the way, they've been posing. And the French are the worst of the bunch.

However, Asia seems to actually have some adult filmmakers making adult themed films. Often though, the only connection they have to horror is through extreme violence. Prime example: Battle Royale. Clearly an action film, through and through. And one that sold itself as a scary horror film. At least, as far as North American word-of-mouth would have it. I give them a reprieve though because some of their films haven't forgotten what black humor really is and haven't tossed out intelligence altogether.

4. Body Boy

I wouldn't call the 00-09 a comback either. Sure, a lot came out...a LOT...but it's like, quanitity doesn't exactly make a good horror era. Just a lot of crap, really. Though I will say, there have been some excellent flicks, like Inside and Identity to name a couple. It's not all bad, but a good comeback?...eeee. Stretching it a bit. >.>

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

You need to take into account that a decade is ultimately judged by the cream that rises to the top. This decade may not have had many bonified classics (time may change that) but I would argue that it had more VERY GOOD horror films then maybe any other decade. Quanitity had a allot to do with it but 20 years from now no one will care about that, Not to mention other then Italy and Mexico that took a dive, foreign horror on the whole has NEVER been as strong France, Spain, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Denmark, Japan,S. Korea, Thailand, Hong Kong and I may of missed a couple, all made significant contributions.

6. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Had to go with French because the language annoys me. I haven't seen any Indian horror movies but I find Bollywood in general fun and interesting.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

:lol: Good to know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

Even by that standard (the few selected best), the 90's beats 00-09. Dead Alive, Silence of the Lambs, and Scream combined beat Ginger Snaps, May, and 28 Days Later - easy. Then, with Asia considered, I think you'll have your work cut out for you finding 2 films that most people agree beat Ringu and Audition together.

Are you including 2010-2019 in that estimation? Because time can't change the quality of the films from 00-09.

For that to really be true, the viewership / audiences would have to have the same attitude watching horror as they did from 03-09. I still say what I said last year- when people look back at 00-09, they're going to basically have a pile of DVD's. The movies won't mean anything, only the attitude will. The posing. Every film pretending to be the next of something that already came out a couple years or a couple months before it. Quantity has everything to do with it. That's what dictated the trends. The trends to keep pumping out crap so companies could make a few bucks off the wave and to not spend much time or effort making the movies good. To focus more on the tech trickery and less on characterization and atmosphere - things long forgotten with the rise of the Saw and remake parades. Which both begot many copycat offspring.

Oh... and I also still say: French Horror SUCKS.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Why did you choose Ginger Snaps, May, and 28 Days Later.. as your films of comparison? There very good films but there are a number of equally good or better films that have come out.

I know it's not the best test but I just did a quick search on imdb for horror films rated 7.0 or higher form the 90's and 2000's with at least 500 votes. The 2000's have had 53 and the 90's only 34 and I had to include Mini series like The Kingdom 1,2 and The Stand and Storm of the Century to even get that number. Plus I left out some obscure films from the 2000's that have never been mentioned on these forums.

And by the way Ringu and Audition feel way more like 2000 films then they go 90's films.

Obviously Classics need time to build a reputation.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  10. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I had to go with Japanese. It used to be my favorite, I used to think the most fresh stuff came from there, and some of my fav's still are, but reccently the last several j-horror titles I've seen have all been loosely based on the 'spend the whole movie uncovering the secret of the ghost/haunting/spirit' plotline much like The Ring. Even new(ish) titles that people have been raving about like Noroi borrow that plotline, its getting stale.

11. I had to go with Indian, I pretty much can't stand any of those films people called "Bollywood" movies, I've seen a few of the horror movies and thought the acting was so shitty and the production was so poor (even for new releases) and I usually only like B-horror movies. When somebody shows me something good that comes from India I'll change my mind, maybe, but I've found nothing yet. I guess it's got alot to do with bad stories too, nothing seems original enough coming from their horror movies.

12. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

I've never seen an Indian Horror Film...that I know of.

So i'll go with that.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

Such as?

I did notice after the fact that each one of those were my picks in the "Best American/Canadian/British Horror Film" threads. But neither had much competition. That's why I 'chose' those. They chose me.

I had a discussion with someone last summer about how IMDb represents the horror community and even he, a much greater supporter of remakes and 00-09 in horror, said that place can't be trusted as a source for realistic majority opinion. When you break down who-votes, there is a much greater base of male voters and white voters (don't ask me how they know the gender and race of the voters, but sources who've criticized IMDb claim they know) than women and people of other races. Not to mention, this rules out a large economic base- of people who can't afford computers but very well might have seen the movies, one way or another. Or people who wouldn't vote on IMDb anyway; people with active social lives, for example, who go out more often than stay in (let's face it: though computers aren't for dorks anymore, most average people still don't blog, chat, message board, etc. as often as we might). When you consider that, I don't see how your argument really works.

I won't argue with you there. However... they were made in the 90's and just because the DVD's weren't released until the new millennium doesn't change that.

Since when? A decade has passed, but I think we both know The Blair Witch Project was seen as a classic from the moment the hype hit the mainstream. Almost 14 years now, and the same is true for Scream. I would say 28 Days Later is a classic too, but what's happened to that film as well as the entire genre from 03-the present is that the haze and sea of hype has taken over assessment of "classics" and there are no more classics. Not by the standard that would've had them be classic. There are only favorites. And newer films, that only due to financial success, have had an influence on the genre.

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

There are tons of example of films that were extremely popular when they came out but faded away over time or the other way around. How often is the Sixth Sense talked about on these boards now? Blair Witch is a classic because it still talked about and debated 10 years later. I don't think anyone would argue The Thing is a classic yet it did Terrible at the box office and with Critics. I wouldn't proclaim 28 Days Later.. a classic just yet but i admit it has the potential. Some films start strong and get even more popular over time i.e Audition, Haute Tension, The Descent, The Devil's Reject and some start off strong and slowly fade into the background i.e The Ringu (and maybe the Ring as well), Dark Water, The Devil's Backbone, Jeepers Creepers, Final Destination. These films don't get very many votes anymore on any Best of Lists on here. Here are some more example of films this decade that started off sort of slow but get bigger ever year. May, Session 9, American Psycho, A Tale of Two Sisters, Frailty.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  15. Body Boy

I especially see American Psycho getting praise with each passing year. I wasn't a fan when I watched it in 2005, but maybe I'll revisit, as it usually tops the best of the 2000s list. American Psycho is kind of like the 80s' Maniac, in a way...(*cough* 'cept not as good *cough*)

16. DVD-fanatic-9

:lol:

Maniac is shit dipped in more shit. Just because Bateman picked up hookers does not put American Psycho in the same league.

I get you, but I think the reason is simple: the whole thing is nothing but a lead-up to the twist ending (or "flip" as the writer of Frailty says there are two kinds of "reality-altering" endings and a difference between them). Once you know the ending, what's left to say? I liked it or I didn't. It scared me or it didn't. That's it.

You can't compare the decades prior to 00-09 and the films to come out in that decade. There's a difference between a film getting more attention and one having had a substantial following for over a decade. The Thing has proved it stands the test of time and people loved it before action trends took over the horror genre. The 00's are desperately reliant on trends. And I also find debates of the 00 films are comprised of very little arguing of substance and instead, much more arguing on effect.

17. Body Boy

:fuck: Maniac > American Psycho

!!!

lol, :D

18. DVD-fanatic-9

Maniac = rip-off of Deranged (only set in New York City) with Eyes of Laura Mars added as dressing. :evil:

19. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

kudos! :D

20. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

That trailer was a bad acid trip and a half.
    For me though, I have to give the nod to Indian. Although Bollywood is capable of producing some solid films, I don't feel that their general "style" is very conducive to the horror genre.
    That being said, despite my love for J-Horror of years past, the last few years crops of J-Horror (and their half-assed American remakes) have really left me exasperated.