What deserves a Criterion release?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Grim, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

What film do you think deserves a Criterion release?

I always wondered why Pulp Fiction never got one, I think Rules of Attraction would be cool too. As for Horror, I know some would bash me for this but Return of the Living Dead would be nice, Dawn of the Dead too.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Hm, I don't think any of those truly deserve a Criterion release. Night of the Living Dead perhaps - but that's been done so great, it is hard to see what they could do with it.

Criterion is way down on Sci-Fi films (they have like, one don't they?) So how about War of the Worlds?

Frankly, a nice Criterion double disc set with all the classic silent films would be the best treat. Nosferatu, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Golem and of course, Metropolis. Bring along Hunchback of Notre Dame, Phantom of the Opera and you have a Criterion box to love and cherish. No-one has really done a definitive on these films as far as I know. For some reason I hate to see films that are too modern on their format.

I'd like Criterion to stay with true classics. The Dead films, apart from the first, just don't cut it as classics cutting across genres. Well, not for me. Still - they have done The Blob (mine is in the mail!) and Fiend without a Face (which I already own). So what do I know?

How about Alfie? Or the original Get Carter?

Shit, why isn't EVERYTHING a Criterion? Sure would stop of the silly "I hope it's an SE" and "What's the transfer like" talk :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Well, I figure if they make Criterions of Chasing Amy and The Royal Tenenbaums then why not do something a little more recent.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

True - Armegeddon is the one that truly blows my mind. That films sucks. The Rock is not a bad action film - but Criterion?

Still, I think they do those to make money to finance the obscure - no?

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I guess so, but they say they do contemporary classics, so I was thinking of stuff that was contemporary. I mean they also did Criterion editions of Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein, so I figured Return would be nice in there, if they do two campy gore films, why not a third. And i also figured that would be the only way we'd probably ever see the much talked about director's cut.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

See, now you bring up Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein, which I had forgotten about. My argument is dissolved, multilated and putrid. You win. Where the hell is the Dawn of the Dead Criterion?

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Well, you made some good points.

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Pulp Fiction DID get a Criterion release, on laserdisc. From what I can tell, all the content from that and more is on the SE dvd, so it's just as good if not better than a Criterion release!

Some choices are mind-numbing, like Armageddon and The Rock, but lots are welcome surprises like Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. I don't care who puts out the dvd, just as long as the quality and extra content is there. Hell, MGM's Silence Of The Lambs disc is better than Criterions in many ways (sound and picture being the most noticable), but I have to keep the Cri. version for the commentary and different set of supplements.

9. marioscido

marioscido New Member

"I Walked with a Zombie" (1943) - Tourneur
    "Les yeux sans visage" (1959) - Franju

Unfortunately, it won't happen anytime soon!

10. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I'd like to see a Criterion Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things!

:banana:

11. marioscido

marioscido New Member

Actually, you have a good point: "Deathdream" (1972) would make a great Criterion as well. I love that film.

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I think "Let's Scare Jessica To Death" would make a great Criterion release.
    Then again, this film deserves any kind of SE treatment actually.

13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Ah but Grim, the two Morrissey flicks are more than campy gore films IMO. Unless you've seen them really recently, I highly recommend you check them out. I think they're a bit "deeper" than ROTLD (which deserves its time in the limelight, for sure).

14. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Id love to see a Criterion Double special edition of `I Spit on Your Grave/ Scrapbook` but then i aint holding my breath!....I have to say until this day i still havent even got 1 Criterion disc in my collection :nervous: I should really come out from behind this stone! I would like to get `Fresh For Frankenstein` but i cant find it anywhere cheap enough $60 + :eek1:

15. Andrew

Andrew Guest

DVDPlanet has it for around $25-27 I believe. That's where I got it. BLOOD FOR DRACULA is better, IMO, but they're both worth the price tag.

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- I would like to get `Fresh For Frankenstein`--

Hey Slinker, I'm starting to get worried about you! :D

As for Spit on your Grave - quite honestly, the Millenium Edition probably cannot be bettered.

17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yeah, I still haven't seen them but I've heard only good things from you guys about them so I'll have to get them.

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I saw them a long time ago. To be honest I have severe reservations about seeing them again. maybe they´ll turn me around, but they are an acquired taste to be sure.

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

Prom Night: Criterion Collection

:cool:

20. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Well, Blood for Dracula has been a favorite of mine for quite some time (don't care for Flesh for Frankenstein that much, but I'll get it when I have excess cash). I agree that ROTLD and DOTD don't really fit Criterion's style. Well, Dawn could... Now I would love to see Carl Th. Dreyer's Vampyr get a Criterion treatment (they already have some of Dreyer's other work released) and if Jodorowsky's stuff ever gets a US release, Criterion would be badass! I'd love a CC Holy Mountain/El Topo/Santa Sangre set! Woo, I better stop before I cry!