what do you want as the first 4K classic horror film?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by horrorlover, Aug 15, 2017.

1. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

I was wondering what would be everyones first choice for the first 4K UHD blu ray release of a classic horror film? I was thinking it would be great to see something by Mario Bava show up on 4K, his films are so beautiful to look at, and those colors in 4K would be amazing I'd love to see The Whip and the Body in 4K, it's a great looking film, and I think a new transfer with HDR could look amazing, the Kino blu ray was not so great on colors, it looked less colorful than the old DVD by VCI, which is weird, but yeah I think Whip and the Body is my choice for the first classic horror film I'd love to see on 4K UHD Blu ray, what's yours?

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

My first choice was my actual first horror UHD disc...Dawn of the Dead (1978). Released in Italy by the company Midnight Factory, Dawn received a 4K remaster for the Argento cut. Unfortunately the UHD disc is a train wreck and the blu-ray version required a replacement which resolves its many issues. This cut is my least favorite of the three, but it's the best Dawn has ever looked.

I would love a 4K release for Night of the Living Dead and the complete Twilight Zone series.

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I would kill for a 4K release of The Beyond and City of the Living Dead.
    Especially City needs a new scan. The amount of scanner noise on the current BD, are just insane.

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Halloween. Or Dawn of the Dead done properly in 4K.

~Matt

5. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

Just thinking and I wonder what black and white films would look like in 4K, anyone seen any 4K black and white movies? I'd love if some of the Universal classics like Dracula with Bela Lugosi, and The Mummy with Boris Karloff could get released on 4K UHD BLU Ray

Steel76 likes this.
  6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Halloween for me, easy choice.

Zombie is up there.

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'm full on board with a Mario Bava film. He made some colorful films (making most current films look like dreary sick rooms by comparison).
    My personal choice would be KILL BABY KILL because it's my favorite. However, he has so many good films that would look even more beautiful in the format...it's hard to choose just one.
    HALLOWEEN would look beautiful too. That film is so tight that it never gets old.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

If you boiled it down to just one, and as THEE FIRST, I'd say Bride of Frankenstein. I did one of my reports on it in Lighting 101 class, breaking down some of the setups. And it's simply a marvelous looking film. And Whale rarely reused shots/setups. So once he cut, that's it, next is a brand new shot. Lots of fresh new eye candy (and Whale was a fast cutter)! So while I would throw on a 4k of Frankenstein first if I had it (for continuity sake) it's Bride of Frankenstein I would anticipate seeing the most.

Island of Lost Souls might be a close second. But that's with the perfect restoration/transfer. There's a lot of (intentionally) under lit scenes so a more robust gradient may squeeze out a much more nuanced grey scale. Would be great to see Laughton in shadow, lite his cigarette and see that eerie glow reflected in his eyes. Unfortunately the latest restoration seemed to shy away from these dynamics to my taste. Would need a colorist willing to press the extremes of the format to their max.

While I know HD has added some nice depth to the blacks, I'm not sure if there's still that leap of benefit in UHD. I'm just not sure. They always tout HDR for colors but it would be an assumption on my part that there would be a finer grey scale too. But I'd think that would be a fair assumption.

9. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

yeah I am wondering myself what 4K will look like on a 55 inch 4K TV, I'm getting a 55 inch 4K TV this fall I hope during the holiday seasons. I have narrowed the choice down to an LG or a Samsung. And I'm leaning towards the LG 55 inch. I do not know if that is big enough to get the effect of 4K, but it should be, I've seen people saying 79 inch TV's and stuff, but I'm not going that big. I want a TV I can move if I have to move it myself. I am hoping to get the LG 4K Blu ray player to go with it, or an Oppo region free one. probably the Oppo, it plays every disc format, even SACD, $500, and I hear OPPO are supposed to last for a long time, and have few problems, maybe others can tell me if this is true, I don't know anyone with an OPPO, they don't sell them in stores around here, I'll have to order it. But I am anxious to see some 4K movies. I hope they release Suspiria on 4K, man that's a colorful movie, and Synapse would do a good job as well. But those Bava films, almost any of Bava's color films would look amazing if properly restored for 4K, , and one of my personal favorites House of Wax with Vincent Price, I'd love that one in 4K, the blu ray is nice, but it'd look great I think updated, and not a horror film, but it was shot on 70mm film, I'd love a 4K version with a new restored soundtrack in the best audio of The Concert For Bangladesh, the dvd I got is well not so great looking I know it's dvd, and it looks good on a 32" TV, but on a big one it definitely could use with a 4K upgrade.