What do you want on a NEW Friday the 13th Box set?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Feb 9, 2009.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Reports from Bloody-Disgusting tell us that Paramount is prepping a new box set on Blu-ray (and hopefully for DVD too!)
    With that being said...could this possibly be the final, ultimate box set?
    ...lets sure hope so! :D

anyway, (other than all films UNCUT) what would you like to see on a new Friday the 13th boxset?

i for one, would love Audio Commentaries for all 8 movies. parts 1,3,6,7 and 8 already have ones, so why not parts 2,4 and 5??? and i wouldn't mind cleaned up transfers and 5.1 mixes for them all...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

anyone? anyone? :)

3. Hey vampry,

I just replied to another message from you that's Mr. Voorhees related as well.

Must say if this is indeed the "Be all, End all" type boxset (and wow, holy hell, does that "Ultimate Edition" set we all got from '04 sure look hysterically named now, doesn't it?), then as a hardcore and loyal Jason Voorhees completeist, especially as a lover of the first 5 instalments, I'd love to see the following:

* Uncut (quite obviously, as you noted--sorry just had to say it again;)) versions of all 8 films.

* 2.0 stereo and 5.1 remixes of the original now badly crackling and hissing Mono soundtracks

* Fully cleaned up, new HD transfers on all 8 discs.

* Return of the original theatrical poster/North American region VHS tape artwork. Yes the ORIGINAL ARTWORK, thank you very much, Cashamount. ;)

* As a huge commentary track fanatic such as myself as I noted on the internet movie database boards for the first Friday's indeed, give commentary tracks, newly recorded, for Parts 1, 2, 3 once again (plus include ALL the old ones as well) plus 4 and 5 as well. Plus as I noted, include all of the old ones from the "From Crystal Lake to Manhatten/Ultimate Edition" set.

Definately offer Steve Miner some money, as I feel he directed two of the best paced and most scariest and very interesting of the series (especially the highly underrated and over all wonder Part 2 that I love) so he'll finally talk about these things of all of these years. Gotta say I feel it's about time he does. He has nothing to be ashamed about.

* Liner notes/collectable booklet from Mr. Peter Bracke, a fine writer who is the author of Crystal Lake Memories.

* New interviews professionally conducted in a serious manner out in L.A., with even more final questions asked by Mr. Bracke.

* All of the extras form the newly released "Deluxe Editions" that we've all seen reviewed here.

* Give each film it's own fine case inside the boxset case. None of that garbage from '04 which we all sadly know about with the super slim thin-case garbage.

* Make the boxset unique this time. Please oh please, absolutely NONE of that easily damaged cardboard garbage we were stuck with for years now. Make it a collectablie tin, shaped like a fiberglass hockey mask that has the "battle damage" from the final half of The Final Chapter or something.

* Easter Eggs, such as the cool amusing stuff I found on Disc 2# of the fine His Name Was Jason set, on each and every disc.

* Give each disc/movie it's own unique music & animated menu screens.

* Include all original trailers and teasers and TV spots that are found.

* Include footage of the Crystal Lake Memories launch party & Jason birthday they had a few years back, as I've only seen a bit breifly online and sadly can't find it anymore.

* Include all the currently living writers and all directors of the first 8 films in they're respective interviews and commentary tracks. And please, NO MORE intercutting said interviews with film clips that are music-less from the respective film, and no more music as well. Make the interviews mostly quiet if you can, and none of that breif 6 or 7 minute none sense. And ask what they think after all of these years of they're respective instalments, and the series in general. It would seem that the Crystal Lake Memories book provided a great job of getting the truth out of many from the franchise.

* Please try to make the price tage under the $60 mark, after all of this time and with all of the times us obsessive collectors have had to re-buy the supposed new and "Defenative" versions of these under-apprechiated Slashers.

* Also, please try to think of a halfway decent and none too embarrassing good name for this boxset. "The Defenative Collection" is about all I chould come up with ...

4. adric

adric New Member

that article is from august

5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I wouldn't want one. I only think the first four are any good, and I have no real need to own the rest.

Box sets are for tv series. I prefer to buy movies individually. ;)

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'll prob get them individually as they come out on blu. And as for features, I dunno if I really care about much else. I have the "Crystal Lake Memories" book by Bracke, and the other "Making Friday the 13th" book. There isn't much more I could learn from a few new featurettes/liner notes booklets. If the uncut footage still exists, it'd be nice to have some uncut versions here.

~Matt

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

this awesome news i sure hope again that part 7 will be uncut also i hope that all eight films will be on separate 8 blu ray discs unlike the dvd box set where they had two movies on one discs

9. J.C.

J.C. Guest

I want them uncut. I heard that alot of the deaths from Part 7 (and probably others) were cut down heavily.

10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

All Uncut
    All with Commentaries by the filmmakers (really don't care about hearing what the director of Hatchet has to say about The Final Chapter)
    In Depth featurettes on all movies
    Include all bonus features from all previous editions

11. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

Paramount really need to get the directors/producers and f/x artists on board so they can shine some light on the cut stuff.

Steve Miner seems to think it's still in the paramount archieves and Danny Stienman would proabably now do a commentary for part 5. It's all good and well paramount making a new boxset but if its's a bunch of 20 year old kids working on it then were not going get the results. We need people who were there in the 80's and involved with them.

I read somewhere that Tom Savini has written into his contract that he gets to keep an uncut copy of everymovie he works on, so there's a potential source for part IV......... Greg Nicertero says that Carl Fullerton (part II's fx guy) showed him the uncut double impalment so there's a possible source along with Miner for Part II.

As for bonus features, 1 hour making of docu's for all 8 films they should be able to get all the folks who did the "his name is Jason interviews." Delted/ t.v scenes for all the movies would also be nice basically anything related to F13 - sisel and ebert reviews, Jason on that talk show etc.

Oh and all of Tomv Savini's behind the scenes from part IV.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Awesome news! Guess I'll be holding off buying the first film on Blu until this ultimate set comes out. And Fattyjoe, I agree with you on everything you mentioned. Mainly though just include everything that's already been released, as I hate owning several copies of the same movie. Uncut of course would also be great, but if they didn't do it with part 2 and 3, the rest seem unlikely as well. I guess we can all dream though...

13. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

From another post...

"I would at the very least like a re-vamped "Tales from the cutting room floor."

This time, include scenes from 2 5 and 8 as well as the alternate ending to 3.

Of course I would rather have them all uncut, but this is all it will take to make me buy it on Stand. Def (Have not gone blu yet)

Plus, and this isn't that big of a deal, but the uncut scenes from part six on the old dvd boxed set is missing the heart stomp in the beginning. It would be cool if they would find that."

14. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

All Uncut....mandatory over anything else.

15. Exactly ...

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Basically the only thing I'd really want at this point is deleted footage, but I'm not keeping any faith that anything we haven't already seen still exists. featurettes, docs, commentaries; they're all just retreading the same ground for me. I'm buying the new blus for the better pic and sound quality. I can understand why people still with DVD wouldn't wanna shell out the money again.

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yep. That's why I'm buying them too. It's got to the point where I don't really care too much about features anymore. I'm more about the quality of the image over special features.

~Matt

18. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

The Friday the 13th series and Dario Argento's films are the only films I would be willing to re-buy because of better sound and picture quality. At this moment, I've kind of given up hope of ever seeing uncut presentations. So, number one is 5.1 surround on all the movies (hell, they could have had me at stereo remixes if that's all they were willing to pony up). And better picture quality would be great too.

Next thing that is the most important to me - FIX that damn problem with The Final Chapter. It's 3-part: 1) where Doug's in the shower and the lightswitch makes the clicking sound but the room stays brightly lit, 2) when Tina is thrown out the window - the screen ABRUPTLY changes from lighter to darker in the middle of the shot, 3) when Trish picks up the hammer and starts whacking Jason in the head- one of the closeups of her face does the exact same thing as the shot of Tina, right in the MIDDLE of the duration of the shot. There is absolutely no excuse for this screwup (so don't try and make one- Matt), it was clearly a mistake made on the DVD and not one from the original print of the movie. The VHS's never had these problems. I know, I've viewed both the VHS and DVD of the movie numerous times.

As for features... I want everything available. Behind the scenes everything - photos, footage (where and if available), outtakes, and real clips of things promotional and non-promotional. And if they can't the rights to them, have the creators and etc. talk about them. Like, I heard the people behind The Grim Adventures of Bill and Mandy have a real fascination with the Friday the 13th series. It'd be great to hear from them. I mean, I guess I do agree with Matt on one thing- "in depth" discussions of each movie are not completely necessary and kind of defeat the purpose of the movies themselves. But still, I want something better than observations such as (paraphrasing here) "man that Jason's a fucked-up dude," and more like them. I can hear that level of idiocy from anyone out on the street. There clearly is more substance to be gained from the available participants. Even if it's just technical camera and screenwriting talk- it's still more interesting than the crap on the His Name Was Jason "doc."

But I also really want a balance between the informative and the fun. So, I really do want everything from the Arsenio Hall "interview," to clips of Joe Bob Briggs' Monstervision talking about the movies, to promo clips from USA, AMC, Spike, Monsters-HD, HBO (if there were any), photo galleries, text reviews for magazines if there are any, and any interview shows or anything that really talked about the movies. Oh, and I want the original movie music to play over clips if Paramount uses clips. And I don't think they need to flash the stinking title of the movie over each clip. Only serious fans were really watching the 2004 boxset featurettes, yet they think we're so stupid that we need to see the title over the clip to know what movie it's from... Huh?

Just use some creativity, DVD producers!

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

at this point ive given up on paramount doing a decent job with the extras...i mean look, they finally release part 3 in 3D....and - oops! - commentary goes bye-bye. fuck it. just give me original artwork. thats all i want. whats that? the new covers are sort of like the original? fuck. fuck you paramount.

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Actually, yeah I agree with this. I don't know how the lights "don't" go off...guess it shows how low-budget these things are. (Turning the lights off in post-production LOL). But what's REALLY REALLY irked me about every release of The Final Chapter is when Tommy is getting the hammer and nails for Trish and she yells "Tommy!" There's HORRIBLE distortion there, no matter how low the volume is.

All the other features though...is it really necessary to have all the TV ads and such for the films' TV broadcasts? Those are such useless features. (go to "Camp Blood: The Home of Jason Voorhees". They have all those clips. I don't think they really are worthy of repeat viewings.) I'd love deleted footage though, if they can find it/if it even exists. Not much else I'd care about. Newly remastered soundtracks and improved transfers are all I really care about. (Part 4 really needs to be fixed, but then again it all depends...maybe part 4 isn't even capable of looking as good as other films in the series. A lot of it depends on how the movie was filmed and the film stock used. Some stuff you just can't get to look amazing. I don't see why they couldn't fix the other problems, though). As for production stills/interviews...I've seen them all in the book.

~Matt