What does everyone think of Carnival of Souls (1962)

Discussion in 'Classic' started by vampyr789, Jul 29, 2008.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Carnival of Souls is personally one of my favorite horror films, and I think it is one of the greatest horror films ever made. It is extremly influential, effective, and creepy.

Its use of shadows, light, and music really do add to the overall extreme creepiness to it. I would like to know what the rest of the world thinks of it (a classic, just another B-movie, or crap). I am aware that COS is a cult classic, it is show at midnight movie specials during the Halloween season, I put on the DVD I have (Criterion) every Halloween night and watch it.

So, what do think of Carnival of Souls?

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

A great low budgeter that has deservedly been rediscovered.Wonderful atmosphere,stark cinematography and a dirge like organ score.Great locations too.It's visual style looks to have influenced NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.Classic.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  3. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Great flik, hands down. Even the below-poor-quality transfer version i have on a comp of public domain horror fliks is outstanding. I'd love to see a fully remastered version at some point.

4. vampyr789

real quick, one thing I noticed, While i was watching Halloween, i realised that there are some similarites between Halloween and Carnival of Souls.

The Man = pale white face, creepy, doesn't speak, stalking.
    Michael Meyers = white mask, creepy, silent, stalking.

they both are stalking a blonde haired girl, all they do is stare at her speechless.

similar!!?!!?

5. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Fantastic film that still holds up well today!

6. Franco

Franco Weekender

I discovered this one very, very late in my life. But found it an excellent old horror movie, a classic. I'd never get tired of watching it for it's totally enchanting. And the organ is not only there for the score, it's almost an actor during the whole flick. It gives the movie a special touch.

7. AndresG

AndresG Member

Definitely one of the benchmark cult classics featuring a way eerie, dark and creepy atmosphere that I PERSONALLY LOVE. The color-restored version is a must have!

8. rhett

rhett Administrator

You might not win any fans with that comment! While I think Legend did a fine job on their transfer, black and white is the only way to view this eerie masterpiece. Surrealism works best when everything's grey, the distinctions between night day dream and reality all seem to converge under that blurred aesthetic. Add color and all is lost.

9. jefff

jefff Guest

One of my favorite films of all time (just take a look to the left :D). I'm glad that so many people love the film as much as I do. The atmosphere, the music, the photography, the Man, the Carnival... absolutely everything about this movie is amazing, and it all adds up to a one-of-akind masterpiece of horror. A film guarenteed to get under your skin and haunt your dreams.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'll give him a second chance. Just about. :D

Black and White is the ONLY way to see this film, the contrasts are so important with this one.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I love the film. It's atmospheric to the extreme and has an inexplicable intensity that grows as you watch. It was made for black & white and works perfectly as such. I wouldn't even want to see a colorized version of the film.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I have yet to see this film, though I have heard good things. One of those films that I have been meaning to pick up, but waiting to find the Criterion for a good price.

13. Crazferret

Crazferret Member

One of the truely underrated classics. It is a shame that the Criterion DVD didn't bring more attention to this title.

I pity those who only know about 'Wes Craven's Carnival of Souls'

14. AndresG

AndresG Member

I must agree with you on that but I wasn't trying to state that the colored-version was way better than the b&w one, I was just emphasizing that the color-restoration version is a must-have due to the huge difference with the original b/w version. If there wasn't any difference between the 2 versions why bother making the restoration?. Would be totally pointless if you ask me. In fact, as you know, you can select either the All-New Color Version or Original Black and White Version when playing the DVD (The HART SHARP VIDEO edition). I personally will always stick to the original b&w version but I find the colorized one as a very interesting yet different approach.

15. vampyr789

this is very true!! i think if you take a B&W Horror film (Night of the Living Dead & Carnival of Souls) and make it colorized, it destorys the whole atmosphere.

The DVD out from Criterion is fantastic the special features are a real treat (as well as the Director's cut included) i love that set, i will NEVER sell it!

16. Criswell

Criswell New Member

cheap and cluimsy to be be sure, but a fine indie horror gem.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Carnival of Souls is a brilliant film and one of my favorite Criterion dvds. The entire picture has a surreal dreamlike quality to it that lingers with you. I especially love the abandoned amusement park they filmed in. Very creepy! No desire to see the 1998 remake.

18. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

[​IMG]

I really have a soft spot for this film. The use of silence is a wonderful effect, and the Saltair location in Utah was a great choice of location.
    I rank this film up with other historical landmarks in horror like Vampyr, NOTLD, and Haxan. It has a creepiness all it's own.

[​IMG]

Saltair, Utah

19. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Carinval of Souls is outstanding. I saw this film in the late 1980's for the first time and fell in love with its creepyness!! I will never forget when the young blond haired girl looks over the stairrailing to see the ghoulish man staring up at her, and then he begins to ascend the stairs. Great stuff!!

20. Lionheart

Lionheart Guest

Absolutely one of the best horror films ever made.