What does everyone think of Carnival of Souls (1962)

Discussion in 'Classic' started by vampyr789, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I only saw it once but haven't had the inclination to re-watch it. Maybe it's time to give it another spin. One thing I remember really liking about it was the eclectic nuance it had. I think it's set in the early 1960's but it's as if you'd expect Wally and the Beave to show up at any given moment. I love that era.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

dude, pick it up from deep discount. what with their 25% off sale, you can't go wrong. thats how i got it, as well as equinox last year. although all the damn duties and extra shipping and poor canuck dollar do sour the deal a little...still, its worth it.

3. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

These days it's one of my favorites. Love the Criterion release of this.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah right now ordering online from an American site really isn't a deal. I think when you factor shipping and the low Canadian dollar, you are really only saving like 5% with DD's sale. Disappointing as I wanted to order a few things, but good in the sense that I don't have that much money right now anyways. Next sale though I think i will be all over it!

Oh, and I lied, if you an find any DVDs 50% off or more it's worth it. I picked up the Family Guy Complete Set (Stewie head Amazon exclusive packaging) for $80 including shipping, dollar conversion and duties. Not bad for 6 seasons, the movie, and the star wars dvd. It was their deal of the day yesterday and it already shipped to me today! I have the first 4 seasons and the movie which I can now sell and get most of my money back.

5. This movie is a true classic.

6. I like Carnival, it is a genuinely creepy little movie. I love the simplicity of it and the only thing that hurt the film was some of the acting, but what can be expected from such a low budget film made so far from Hollywood or any of the other film making areas of the world? Criterion did a very good job of restoring it and including the uncut version as a bonus disc several years back.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Surrealism is better in black and white?? This clearly shows I know nothing about surrealism (always used to be just fine with me). I always thought surrealism was about dreamlike, unrealistic situations and scenarios. And I don't know many people who dream in black and white. Is that why? Because black and white is surreal to begin with?

Really? I didn't notice. Well, maybe I noticed the cheapness, but I adore lower budgeted movies, as is common with many horror fans.

I paid $31.00 for it. I don't know how much it goes for now, but they never end up lowering their prices by much. Their titles go out of print first. Maybe you could order it on one of Deep Discount's sales. I assume I paid a lot for it at $31, but it was worth every single penny I paid. The supplements as well as the film itself are incredible.

8. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I haven’t seen this one in a long while, but I remember liking it. The organ music and locations add a lot. Of course I like the cheapness level too. It’s always nice to see something good that isn’t bought with expensive special effects.

Well, I certainly wouldn’t agree with that. Luis Bunuel, probably the greatest surrealist filmmaker ever, shot some of his best films in color. Belle De Joure and The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie for example.

9. BrokeNads

BrokeNads New Member

I see this movie and is good for atmoshpherics but I don't understand what is this about the white face man. I don't want to make a spoilers but I understand what is happen to the girl but is the end and what is the carnivals and the dancing people with white face?

10. BrokeNads

BrokeNads New Member

Also this critierion dvd is expensively almost 50 dollars? WOw! Is an amazing thing to ask so much money for one dvd. Only way for me to say yes and agree for purchase is if inside is a 40 dollar bill!

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

$50? The retail price has always been $39.95. Criterions aren't cheap for a reason, but you can easily buy it online for much cheaper than that.

12. BrokeNads

BrokeNads New Member

I am talk about Canada. In Canada Carnival of Souls is list price of 67.00
    but is mark down to 54.00 in amazon.ca.
    I also see Criterions in stores for almost 70.00.

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah certain DVDs in Canada are just ridiculously overpriced compared to the US. A lot of the bigger newer releases will be somewhat similar, but older or indie releases, hell even Anchor Bay releases, in Canada tend to be like a night and day price difference. Sucks that our dollar is so low as Iwas really enjoying doing most of my purchases from US online dealers. Oh, and if you can find Blu Rays for under $20 then it's a steal here. But most are like 2 for $60 or something, when America sells them for $20 a piece.

14. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I got the awesome Criterion release about 5 months ago at my local Movie Trading Company, and it was a steal at $25.00 used in pristine condition!
    now i love that set, one of my faves from Criterion.

15. BrokeNads

BrokeNads New Member

Is true spawningblue this is why for now some weeks I am enjoy very much to see selections of the dvds in Zellers because is 2.99 and 4.99 bin of titles. Some is good many is average and some is very bad movies but is also some is so bad is funny to see with my friends and beers to laugh riots!

Also for price of one criterion collection dvd you can buy 20 dvds of 2.99!

16. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I only saw this once a while ago (it was part of Brentwood-style multi-movie pack I had) - I have to say I don't understand all the love for it...

I didn't think it was horrible, but just not terribly engaging (granted - I think I've seen the plot device now lots of times, so there wasn't much mystery surrounding the heroine's situation - maybe if I see it again without expecting a mystery I'll enjoy it more?)

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The thing is, you really have to know where to look. Best Buy has TONS of (Warner) blu-rays for $19.99 (a lot of Fox ones still for $14.99), and HMV has a lot of blu-ray movies on 2/$40 which is pretty good, actually.

But yeah Criterions are ridiculous. I usually buy them used because they're ALWAYS in mint condition. The thing with Criterions is that you HAVE to get them right when they come out, because that's when they're cheapest. Magnificent Obsession comes out on Tuesday, pre-ordered it on amazon.ca for $30, which is a fucking STEAL for a Criterion. Their blu-rays are also surprisingly low in price.

~Matt

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

yeah it's crazy how much cheaper Blu ray's have gotten since I wrote that message. I was at HMV the other day and they had tons for 2 for $40. Hell they even had two packs for $30! Good movies too! The Ruins was in one of them, can't remember the rest.

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Haha, wow I didn't realize that you posted that message in November 2008 LOL. My bad. But yeah, there are some seriously sweet deals on blu-rays right now (and The Ruins is actually a pretty good movie).

~Matt

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I enjoyed it quite a bit, picked it up for $20 about a month ago at a small music/ DVD store in Hamilton called "Cheapies". I don't know how they do it, but they only charge like $20 for most of their new Blu Rays, and like $5-$15 for their used ones. And I'm talking like new good popular movies! For $20 they had brand new The Strangers, Clone Wars, National Treasure 2, Rambo, ect. Any new movie they get, they only charge $20, the only catch is they usually only get like one copy, so it's really hit or miss when you go in there. Have to be there at the right time.

I don't get it though, because if you look it the cost of these movies, at Toys R Us for example, our cost for each Blu Ray is like $28, so we're only making a $7 profit on newer $35 movies. Again, I have no understanding how "Cheapies" can charge that little for brand new titles.