what DVDs has the best and worst extas

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Evil Dead Guy, Sep 3, 2004.

1. I myself love the extra on Maniac " The Joe Spinell Story " , that alone is worth the price of the DVD . Another one i love the extras too is Day of the Dead , same with The Thing . Also on Maniac DVD is one of the most irritating worst radio conversations , the one with the radio show host that keeps sniffing after every word .

2. oops , i believe i put this in the wrong thread .

3. Morg

Morg Guest

I'm really into the extras on Shriek Show's Zombie 2 release right now, as I'm checking them out for the first time. Anybody see the Fulci vs Romero feature? Pretty interesting. An obvious mention for excellent extras is the Alien qaudrilogy, still working my way through that!

As far as shitty extras go, how about Pete Walkers "Schizo"? I don't even think there's a menu, the movie just starts. Also, a Canadian release of "Lost Highway" from a company called Seville. One of the worst transfers i've ever seen, in pan and scan and the single extra is a trailer, which I believe is in widescreen. What a bitch, I'd rather not see what I'm missing, could live without the trailer, in this case.

4. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

Any movie released by Paramount and the before mentioned Schizo.

5. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

On the OOP Director's Cut of Maniac, from Elite Entertainment, a short section of the Maniac sequel that was never filmed.

Documentary on SS Zombie 2, on Disc 2

Fanalysis documentary on The Boomstick Edition of Army Of Darkness

6. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Did you mean from the Book of the Dead SE from AB?

In terms of bang-for -the-buck, it's hard to beat the now OOP Phantasm SE from MGM.

I actually felt bad only paying $10 for that one!

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I just went through the almost hours of extras on Criterion's Straw Dogs. Excellent stuff. 80+ minute documentary on Pekinpah, his life and his movies, behind the scenes, on-set interview with Hoffman running almost 30 minutes, present day interviews with George, commentaries..... It's exhaustive for the film, and is a prized possession. Along with the "extras" I'll mention that a decent booklet is really an extra. Criterion threw in a 30 page or so booklet with an excellent interview with Peckinpah, and some critical analysis which was fascinating.

This DVD has been responsible for my revaluating how I feel about extras in general. I used to feel that a good transfer was really all I needed for a good DVD release. Turns out though, I feel differently now. Copious GOOD extras can really expand my appreciation for a film, help me learn about the directors, actors, and inspirations. It's priceless really.

Barrel Entertainments "Last House on Dead End Street" is a good little collection too. Given the true director of this film remained a mystery for a long time, they really spent time allowing you to get to know him. I didn't really like what I saw about him, but it was very cool to get a feel for who he is.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Some of the best sets are the Brazil Criterion, Alien Quadrilogy, the already mentioned Straw Dogs Criterion, Naked Lunch Criterion, alot of MGM discs just because of the amount of stuff you get for such a low price; the extras on Dressed to Kill are excellent, and the DVD was dirt cheap.

9. evildeadfan123

It was from the Book Of The Dead, I apolgize for not clearing that one up. I too have the Phantasm DVD, and that is another good one, too. I saw Phantasm at a Drive-In theater when it originally came out the theaters, about 1978. I love the Black Cuda. My dad had and sold a 1970 Cuda, with a towing package from California for a Harley Davidson. He sold the Cuda at least 20 years ago. He has pictures of the car. I wish he would have kept the car. I would have taken the car.

10. evildeadfan123

Videodrome Criterion Edition

Alien Quadrilogy

Re-Animator Millinium Edition

Night Of the Living Dead Millinium Edition

All of the above I currently have.

11. Morg

Morg Guest

Speaking of Criterion releases, I love the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas DVD, great movie, great extras. Also really dig Boogie Nights - Platinum Series, fantastic transfer and some great extras, the commentaries alone are priceless; two great releases with outstanding easter eggs are: T2 The Ultimate Edition, and Memento Limited Edition. (Non horror - sorry). :)

12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I usually dont even bother with the special features-that being said the bonus features on The Ring DVD really suck, it deserved better than this. I really enjoyed the extras on The Fog, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), Freddy vs. Jason, The Howling, Predator and the new Candyman SE (the bonus features on this one almost make up for the crappy video quality of the film). The Millenium Edition of Night Of The Living Dead is fantastic-bonus feature wise, and I really loved the bonus stuff on Basket Case SE.

13. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

Is this Platinum Series the newer release of "Boogie Nights" on DVD, and if so, does it omit the insane / drunk / retarded (circle one or more) commentary by former Anderson squeeze Fiona Apple?

This is my second Fiona Apple-related post. I have shamed you, and I have shamed the house of Shaolin.

14. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

:nervous: :nervous: ????

I don't recall a commentary by Fiona on either dvd of Boogie Nights. The new one has a second track with lots of the actors and Anderson. Marky Mark is only there for a few minutes, over the phone no less. :eek2:
    No Fiona anywhere though.

15. Morg

Morg Guest

It's the newer release, no Fiona Apple to be found here. There's two commentaries one with PT anderson, and the other with PT Anderson and all the cast members. I enjoy his commentaries, so if you're a fan of his, it's pretty informative stuff, while the other commentary is more erratic and a bit more fun.

16. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

No problem about the error. :)

Man, that is cool that you brought up the Cuda! I have only seen one actual Cuda and it looked just like the Phantasm one. There's a guy in one of the neighboring towns here (Garner, NC) who has all kinds of rare muscle cars. Well, he had a black Cuda, all restored, and he ended-up selling it away to a collector a few years back. :(

17. ZWBLS

ZWBLS Guest

Cabin Fever has good extras but its not the best movie

18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Dawn Of The Dead Ultimate Edition The Best Extras Ever And The Worst Extras Ever Gots To Be Sleepaway Camp Anch Or Bay