What film is this?

Discussion in 'General' started by Darga, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I've seen people seeking similar help on this forum before so I figured I'd give it a try. This is something from the 50's or 60's I think that I saw on TV in the late 70's most likely. I'm not sure if it was a film or even something episodic like Outer Limits.

There’s some kind of shaft/pit going down into the earth that a father and son come upon. The father get winched down into the pit in a basket. Apparently he encounters some kind of horrible creature in the pit because when the son hoists him back up he’s gone completely insane and runs off.

The scene always stuck in my mind- I remember I found the son witnessing his father going insane very disturbing at the time. Probably because I was of a similar age. Also, the fact that I don't think you got to see what the father saw seemed pretty creepy.

Anyways, those are all the vague details I have. Thanks in advance- any help is appreciated.

2. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I'm almost 100% sure this is the second segment in the anthology film Encounter with the Unknown. It's the only thing worth watching in the film, the bookend segments are pretty bad, but this segment is pretty damn effective and creepy. It also features narration from Rod Serling, although he had nothing to do with the writing.

The only reason I'm not saying this is without a doubt what you're looking for is because it's a premise I could see being used in something else, but I'm fairly confident this is it.

3. Darga

Yup, that's definitely it! Thanks, you have our gratitude.

The Rod Serling narration rang a bell right away. I remembered it being B&W though, but that's most likely due to the fact that we had a B&W TV back then. My parents were very "no frills".

4. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Good deal. Let me know if you can't track it down, I have an avi laying around that I could hunt for which I ripped from an old VHS years ago. Converted all of my VHS to digital files when I moved to eliminate space and make a few extra bucks on the more rare ones.

5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I always liked that film. Years ago, I posted on this very site trying to identify the same film as I had seen it while in L.A. in 1980. A little sleuthing was due when I searched the LA Times for 1980 (as I was trolling the movie ads) in the microfilms at SF State.
    I got my DVDr from Retroflicks but they are not in biz anymore. It was available streaming on Netflix earlier this year.

6. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Rosie Holotik's worst film! Still worth a look, but quite bad, IMO. Very tame and boring.

7. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Okay, anyone care to try another one that's been haunting me for 30+ years?

A woman returns home after being away for many years. Her father? brother? has been locked in his room for many years, maybe since she left. Even once she's home he never leaves his locked room and no one is allowed to enter it. She finally enters his room and finds he's dead (of course) but as she gazes at the mummified corpse her mother? comes flying into the room with a knife raised screaming "You must die! You must die!"

Obviously I'm probably forgetting a lot of the details - maybe even mixing up details of more than one movie. Could have even been "Night Gallery" or something. I remember seeing it on TV during my early childhood, early-mid 70s (probably around '75 or '76 but no later than '77.) I can't recall if it was color or black and white. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

8. Darga

I watched The Hole segment on YouTube. It was fun to check it out after all these years. If you find the avi I would be interested. Thanks again.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Wow, how did I overlook this thread?

I saw that "The Hole" story when I was a kid and it always stuck in my head. I honestly don't even remember if I saw it on TV or video.

Encounter with the Unknown has actually just been released on DVD by Code Red/Saturn Productions on a double bill with The Fabulous Journey to the Centre of the Earth (under the alternate title Where Time Began).

Presented in 16x9, the print is worn and the colors are quite faded, but it still looks better than expected.

"The Hole" story wasn't quite as creepy as I recall, but still a solid story...mired by some poor acting. I didn't even remember ever having seen the other two "stories" in the film.

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I don't really know,sounds sort of like a couple of different films.One was THE SHUTTERED ROOM with Gig Young and Carol Lynnly,British film based on an H.P. Lovecraft/August Derleth story.There was a telefilm called BAD RONALD as well,plus an Italian picture from the late 70's or early 80's who's name escapes me right now,possibly a Pupi Avati flick,I'm not sure.All of them have elements of a mysterious someone is a sealed room.Though it was essentially a ghost story BURNT OFFERINGS also had the ''someone in a locked room" element to it.No knife happy momma though .

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I've got one. I think at one point two men are standing on a cliff edge by the sea. They're fighting or something. One either pushes or shoots the other and he falls down the cliff to the rocks below. Next scene i remember is the guys wife/girlfriend walking along the cliff edge. She sees the guy dead on the rocks below and scrambles down the hill screaming and crying. i think either the guy below or the girl was wearing a yellow raincoat. its definitely got a british feel to it, like they're on the moors or something. everything was very drab and overcast and rainy. i don't know if this was a movie, a tv show, or maybe even a soap opera (although they don't usually film outdoors). I saw it as a kid and the woman screaming for her dead husband/boyfriend really bothered me.

12. Darga

Cool, I had no idea this was getting a DVD release. Glad I didn't pick up an old VHS copy.

13. Erick H.

That sounds like EYE OF THE NEEDLE,a great early 80's wartime thriller starring Donald Sutherland and Kate Nelligan.Saw it in the theater,a good one.Richard Marquand directed it,it helped land him the job directing RETURN OF THE JEDI.

14. chancetx

Thanks for trying, Erick, but unless it's the Italian picture (doubtful) it's none of those. I was hoping it might be THE SHUTTERED ROOM too, but I bought the DVD when it came out and it wasn't that. BURNT OFFERINGS I know well and it's not that or BAD RONALD. I was really young when I saw it so I have a feeling I'm mixing up details from more than one movie or TV show. Any episodes of NIGHT GALLERY feature someone in a locked room?

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thanks a lot, i'll track it down! coincidentally, my wife is going though a ken follett phase right now, and she just read that one!

16. Erick H.

Cool,glad to hear it.Hope it's the right film.Let me know if it is .

17. Erick H.

Not really sure about any NIGHT GALLERY eps.I did find the name of the Italian film though.It's called ANIMA PERSA,the English title was THE FORBIDDEN ROOM.Might well be the wrong film,figured I'd let you know about it just the same.Good luck finding your flick,if you do discover it let us know.

18. chancetx

Thanks, Erick. I'll have to look for that movie - even if it's not the one I'm thinking of it sounds really good. I hope someday I can find whatever movie/show it is. It may be completely lame but it's haunted me for over 30 years.

19. Erick H.

Yes,I understand how things like this can really play on your mind,drives you crazy trying to figure out what it was.Good luck to you !

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yup, thats it. just watched it last night. its interesting, a lot happens between the two scenes (the man dying, and then his wife finding him), but i had no memory of that at all. funny what sticks with you as a kid. thanks for the help!