What Halloween Sequel had the best Myers Mask?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Oct 31, 2014.

?

What Halloween sequel had the best Myers mask?

Poll closed Dec 1, 2014.
  1. Halloween II

33 vote(s)
    49.3%
  2. Halloween 4

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Halloween 5

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  5. Halloween H20

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Halloween: Resurrection

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. Rob Zombie's Halloween

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  8. Halloween II (2009)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. I like the 3 masks in Halloween III...

12 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Happy Halloween, horror fans! To celebrate the day, let's debate which of the Halloween sequels did the best job with Michael's mask. For a movie that really tried to stay within continuity for most of the entries, Michael sure looked different throughout. Do you like the Michael Jackson, porcelain look of HALLOWEEN 4? The hobo-Michael of the Rob Zombie universe? The in-need-of-a-haircut HALLOWEEN 5? Or how about the ovular, moon-shaped mask in HALLOWEEN II? Lest we not speak of the CGI mask in parts of HALLOWEEN H20. Which was your fav?

2. rift

rift New Member

Part 5 for me, followed by Part 2.

Part 4 would be my pick for the worst - he looks like Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD.

3. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I picked part 2 because it's basically the same one as part 1 which is the iconic look.

I was watching part 5 the other night and noticed how far they strayed from the original although I didn't mind it so much. I can only assume they didn't have the rights to the Shatner face. I was thinking they should have had a William Shatner look-alike contest and cast a mild of that face.

In any of the extras for these films do they address the reason it changed?

Found this:
    [​IMG]

Of all of the sculpted ones, I think Rob Zombie's came closest to capturing the essence of the original best.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I'm gonna start off by saying this is one of best and most intriguing polls I've seen in a long time on this site. This is really a tuff one.

A Jason Hockey mask poll would be great too.

But getting back to the poll.

The real weird thing about Part 2 is that it's is the same mask as part one. It only looks different because it aged (got discolored) & the fact that Dick Warlock had a wider framed head/face. So because it's the same mask I'm gonna rule out 2 from my personal pick. Imho part 2 should not be part of the poll.

I'm gonna go with Halloween Resurrection. It's different from the original and has one of the more "sinister" feels to it out of all the other masks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  5. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I dislike the Gearge Wilbur and Dick Warlock masks the most. They look ridiculous.

The Zombie masks look good but my favorite is RESURRECTION.

Should H20 be listed 4 times. Just kidding.

It may be the same mask but because of Warlock's fat head it looks nothing like it.

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Rob Zombie's first film for me had the best look outside of the original for me.

7. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

You would think Haddonfield would not sale these masks this time of year knowing their hometown maniac needs a new one.

8. Jack_Burton

Jack_Burton New Member

Halloween II mask because as stated, it's the original mask. Even with Warlock's bigger head it looks pretty much the same. Never understood those who said it did not.

Besides that, the mask from Zombie's remake. It was the closest ever since the original. Too bad he screwed it up by rotting it and stuff. But the non-deteriorated version was great.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

2. The blood dripping out of the eye holes is iconic. All of the other masks in the sequels look goofy to me.

10. vidjunkie

vidjunkie Team Blu

I like 2 as well, a little off topic but is there anywhere online where you can buy good Halloween masks? at every Halloween shop around this time of year they ALL look extremely stupid lol, almost cartoony, I would like to find a nice realistic one if you even can.

Thanks

11. Jack_Burton

Jack_Burton New Member

Nice collection!

12. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Anyone who had any original Don Post masks from the mid 70s can easily understand how the H2 mask looks so different than it did in Carpenter's original. Posts from that era were extremely thin, ridiculously small, and made of what would now be considered to be substandard latex. They were cheap, mass produced, and their life expectancies weren't very good.

Nick Castle famously had a "horse" head, one that was VERY long and thin. This greatly affected the look of the mask in Halloween. You can see how thin the mask is in the climactic scene when Tony Moran pulls it back on after Laurie rips it off. So you are essentially dealing with a small, thin, mask and a distinctive head like Castle's. Unworn the original "hero" mask looked a lot different than it did on Castle. In terms of shape (no pun intended) it actually looked a lot more like it did on Warlock's head.

The 2nd part of the equation concerns the substandard latex and the ridiculous way the hero mask was stored. It apparently spent 3 years in a shoebox under Debra Hill's bed. Hill was a heavy smoker, which probably combined with the poor quality of the latex to speed up the yellowing of the original white paint job (which was almost certainly done with standard spray paint, NOT the type of paint an indie mask maker would use on latex today).

The H2 mask is easily the best in my eyes because it's the same mask. It never looked right again. If I had to pick from the others I'd take the H6 or the Stan Winston H20 mask.

13. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Everytime I watch that scene I wonder how he didn't tear it the way he puts it back on in that scene.

14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

There's only one good option, Vidjunkie, Trick Or Treat Studios:

http://www.trickortreatstudios.com/buy_scary_halloween_masks.html

The H II mask was sculpted by Justin Mabry of Nightowl Productions. Several of his indie Myers masks are among the most prized in collector's circles. This is by far the best mass-produced mask you can get. And it's only $60. If you can wait they're supposed to have an original Halloween replica mask coming some time this year.

15. vidjunkie

vidjunkie Team Blu

Thank you very much for the link, finally I can get a good mask.

*edit, by the way where did you see that info on the bold/underlined part?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  16. Franco

Franco Weekender

Halloween II definitely!

17. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Halloween 6 for me!

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Not sure I can pick just one! I like the look of the H6 mask as it's different but still looks like Myers whilst remaining intimidating unlike H4's mask which was bland and too expressionless.

I also love the remake masks, both clean and rotted look pretty cool and menacing.

If I had to rate the masks it'd be some thing like this:

H2 (I feel like this doesn't count as it's just the original mask but that's why it's first)
    RZH1&2
    H6
    H20
    (The final mask looks pretty good and I would have been happy if they used the H6 mask like they started to but the other mask used looks terrible; like some super cheap store mask)
    HR (Not a great movie but they made a pretty decent mask here. Apparently just a
    slightly altered H20 mask)
    H5 (Despite being low I don't mind this one. It's different but intriguing.)
    H4 (This one would be the worst hands down. It's bland, has no character and the sideburns look silly)

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

It's kinda funny how many people voted Halloween II. It's the same as Part 1. Not like they made one to look like the first movie ... it is the exact same original mask.

"What Halloween Sequel had the best Myers Mask?" Imo, maybe part 2 should have not been on the list of choices.

It would be like asking which Nightmare on Elm Street sequel had the best actor playing Freddy?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    The 1981 film for sure. Solid choice.