What is your favorite Amityville Horror film? (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Aug 8, 2012.

?

What is your favorite Amityville Horror film?

Poll closed Sep 7, 2012.
  1. The Amityville Horror

29 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. Amityville II: The Possession

37 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. Amityville 3-D

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Amityville: The Evil Escapes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Amityville Curse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Amityville 1992: It's About Time

6 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. Amityville: A New Generation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Amityville: Dollhouse

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. The Amityville Horror (2005)

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. The Amityville Haunting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Haven't seen any of 'em.

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Who voted for the third film? EXPLAIN YOURSELF!!!!!!

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

The first film is aesthetically pretty creepy and effective but you can keep the story and acting.

I watched the 2nd film up to the incest stuff and turned it off. In fairness, that likely could have been the fact that it was a Goodtimes VHS... those things are junk. They don't work for shit. Even brand new, you're lucky to get one good viewing out of those. But I actually grew up in an abusive household with drunken parents who beat me so, I think a level of realism is important in 'serious' movies about this subject and... I seem to remember this movie being a joke in that department. Burt Young had no sense of nuance and no charming side. Abusive parents don't seem completely volcanic and out of control all the time. That's what makes them dangerous. This guy was a bad cliche. My father especially - and Roseanne confirmed this on her show when she did the episode about her abusive father dying - was extremely funny and disarming. Abusive people often do seem to manipulate you with their humor or what seems like a warm, charming personality. You'd let your guard down and one day- he'd lose it, you'd never know it was coming, and you'd suddenly be running for your life, terrified, and not have a clue what was going to happen to you. So, yeah: it doesn't work if you don't get the first part right. James Brolin's character in the first movie was a lot more like a real abusive father. Only... he didn't beat the kids.

After that, I've only seen a short piece of Dollhouse while channel-changing (and stopped because of Allen Cutler... wow) and It's About Time which I voted for. Horrible special effects (painfully bad) but I enjoyed nearly everything else. It was creepy, the acting was credible, the story was interesting, the characters were likable, the music was good enough, and visually it was satisfying. It was actually a good movie turned bad because of... those freaking awful effects!! I couldn't even watch the screen at some moments (the floor swallowing bit with the OBVIOUSLY fake stand-in half-nude boyfriend who lost muscle mass but gained substantially in the package department - sorry, Dean Cochran).

3. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Still going with Amityville 2, although I have now seen Amityville '92 : It's About Time since the last poll and I agree with whoever recommended it then. Pretty decent flick!

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

this poll (and the other amityville sequels thread) have motivated me to spring for the dirt cheap dvds of II and 3D. Looking forward to watching them again. Maybe this time I'll get around to checking out the rest. The good word on 1992 will mean i'll likely check it out, at the very least. the OCD completest in me will probably take care of the others...

5. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Amityville II: The Possession

The first time I saw it, I was so creeped out. The actor playing Sonny did a fantastic job while in possessed mode. All of the other films in the series seem like After School Specials compared to this one.

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

My favorite is part II, although I don't really love any installment. For some reason I watched the entire series over the weekend (everything after part 3 for the first time) and here's how I'd rank them:

Amityville II: The Possession
    The Amityville Horror (1979)
    Amityville 1992: It's About Time
    The Amityville Horror (2005)
    Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes
    Amityville Dollhouse
    Amityville 3-D
    Amityville: A New Generation
    The Amityville Asylum
    The Amityville Curse
    The Amityville Haunting