What is your least favorite DVD extra feature

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Trout, Mar 9, 2002.

?

Which DVD feature do you dislike the most?

1. Commentaries

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Trailers

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Behind the scenes features

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Cast and crew bios

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  5. Still galleries

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Interviews

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Documentaries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Trout

Trout Guest

Which DVD extra feature do you hate the most?

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

I dislike the bios, because they are usually just short little snippets of information everyone already knows with a filmography culled straight from imdb.com at the end. I wish they'd just save space and think of something more interesting.

3. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Neat poll

I've never been a big fan of still galleries. Most of them bore me to tears. The same goes for bios.

4. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

Re: Neat poll

I second this one and rhett's, though I voted for bios, since at least with still galleries you get pictures from the film, vs. stuff you can get off IMDB.

5. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I say pack everything on the DVD they can, but in all honesty, the still galleries do nothing for me. I flip through them after I've finished everything else on the disc, but I would never go back and look at them again. Shit, I buy so many damn DVDs, I don't know if I will ever be able to watch any of my DVDs more than once.

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Cast And Bios
    It's just text form of what the interviews, behind the scenes and the like say in audio form. It's a neat extra and is worth the name "extra". The others is more like appendages to the body of the movie itself.

7. Trout

Trout Guest

I hate the bios mainly because they list almost everyone in the film, but you can only select one or two names at the most.

8. Meanie

Meanie Guest

My feelings exactly

9. Man, I can't believe 10 votes on the STILL GALLERIES to date! I don't know 'buot U, but I like to see pictures, so I dig the stills!

The one I voted for, I wouldn't necessarily say "hate", but rather "don't put to use" would be feature length audio commentaries. Especially when they include more than one! I guess because I rarely have a lot of time to watch ALL my DVDs the 1st time, much less a commentary the length of the movie!

10. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

Count me as another who just doesn't give a sh*t about the still galleries.

11. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

stills fuck putting them on a disc print them on 5/7 cards unless they are stills of nude scenes only then I say keep em'

12. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

i voted for bios for this exact same reason

13. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

i really like the still galleries when they have the cover art to old vhs's and like posters from around the world and such. i dont like the still galleries that are just pictures from the film... thats lame.

14. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Bios!!!! How could anyone vote for anything else? They're almost always the most malnourished crud you can find! Anchor Bay puts pictures and backgrounds together that look nice. But... aside from them, nobody ever tries.

How could anyone vote for anything else? At least almost all photo galleries are more than just pics of the film. Look at Criterion's photo galleries. Shit, I don't know if I got 10% through the galleries for The Fly and Naked Lunch. And I've owned those sets for a decade or more a-piece.

Also... huge recommendation for everyone to check out the galleries on MGM's Special Edition of Phantasm. That might be the best photo gallery on any DVD I've ever seen... Except for some of Disney's Platinum sets.

15. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Not on the list, but I hate animated menus, especially when they feature scenes from the film. Like, thanks for spoiling that moment before I've even watched this movie? Why this decision is made--and frequently--by manufacturers, I do not know.

Just give me a simple menu and let me watch the film before I start "seeing" it, please.

zbinks likes this.
  16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Remember when animated menus were listed as a feature? I always got a kick out of that. One thing that has been omitted from DVD's/blu-ray's that drives me crazy is when the films trailers aren't included. In an age where teaser trailers get teaser trailers...put them on the damn discs.

Workshed likes this.
  17. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Agreed!

18. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I adore animated menus.

As for them giving away plot points of the movie... I have to ask how long you spend deciding you're going to watch the animated menu if you're worried about watching the film spoiled for you... Just: click out of the menu / into a sub-menu. Even if you go to Subtitles, there's almost always a "Resume" option there.

I truly do not see what the problem is. Just click out of the main menu right away.

19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Some don't let you instantly. It's not a big deal, just a minor inconvenience.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  20. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I am kinda the opposite. Trailers could be left off entirely. If you want to put the trailer for the film on the disc, fine, but leave all the other shit off and especially when you cannot get the menu with watching them. Even worse is when they put trailers that are not horror related. Dumb. Cast bios can be good if in depth, but some are just a waste of space.