What is your least favorite DVD extra feature

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Trout, Mar 9, 2002.

?

Which DVD feature do you dislike the most?

1. Commentaries

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Trailers

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Behind the scenes features

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Cast and crew bios

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  5. Still galleries

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Interviews

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Documentaries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes! For my Halloween party I sold Brain Damage as the director's follow up to Frankenhooker (we watched the year before) but said nothing else. And the cover sure as shit didn't provide a clue.

Then I gathered everyone around, put in the disc, and BLAM first thing up is *SPOILER*Aylmer in the sink singing*SPOILER*! WTF DON?!? I wanted to see the looks on everyone's faces when that moment happens in the movie, but now the jig is up! Instead I'm fumbling with the remote and shit so it all plays out and now one of the best Wha-Da-Faq? moments is ruined. So when it finally happened in the movie people just shrugged and said, "Oh, that's the scene." THANKS SYNAPSE! YOU DIP SHIT FUCKS!!! :mad::(

I've been considering ripping the discs and putting together a stream for my Halloween parties ever since. Throw in some shorts and fun stuff too.

Workshed likes this.
  2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Oh I agree about trailers unrelated to the film, but I understand why they're on there. I would like all blu-ray's to contain the trailers associated with the actual film. Some do, some don't. Every film usually has a teaser or two, theatrical (or two or three) and an international. All of Zach Snyder's blu-ray's (and DVD's for that matter) do not contain their trailers.

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I agree. You would think getting the trailer for a film would be one of the easiest extras to get. As for the least necessary I voted for bios. They are generally uninteresting and can be easily looked up on IMDB.

buck135 likes this.
  4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

There are 2 buttons that will get you through a good amount of extemporaneous DVD animated menu-ing on most DVD remotes. I don't know about Blu-Ray, but the Title button and the Disc Menu button will both get you to / slash through some extraneous animated sections of menu. If that fails, try hitting the stop button. Then press the number 1 button and it might choose the film directly. If that doesn't work, try the Chapter Skip button. Or the Search button and choose Title:01 if possible.

Of course, the ultimate ideal is that you watch it on your computer and use the Media Player Classic program because that lets you skip through all and any menus- flat, period, no shit whatsoever. You just go to Navigate, choose Title Menu, and it takes you right to the main menu. You could also choose Root Menu from the Navigate menu. Or, you could press ALT+T or ALT+R for the same functions.

I know the: but why would someone watch a movie on their computer when they could watch it on an expensive TV...? Well, this might sound whatever but, some non-anamorphic transfers only look good on your computer. Hocus Pocus looks like shit on a widescreen TV. But, on your 16x9 or slightly larger monitor, just watch the disc with Media Player Classic, when it starts- select Zoom to Widescreen, and it looks beautiful. (In my experience. I might not be the best trained eye.)

And you can change the framing as much as you want with the Number Pad buttons. Press 4 or 6 and you can push it in or pull it out horizontally. 2 or 8 does the same vertically. 9 or 1 pushes or pulls all 4 sides out equally. Etc. It's the only program I would choose to play Media Blasters' disc of Bio Zombie. You can even drag the entire movie toward the left side of the screen or right with CTRL+2, 4, 6, or 8. Or diagonally with CTRL+1, 3, 7, or 9.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

To be honest, I can't recall the last disc that refused to let me quickly access the main menu for the most part. Almost all blu-ray's force you to skip past each trailer before getting to the main menu. I haven't watched a DVD in quite some time.

Windows struggles with blu-ray's. My third party software is erratic when deciding what it wants to play. Windows Media Center doesn’t even know what the hell a blu-ray is.

I've made the jump to 4K, so my blu-ray's get upscaled which is nice. I've learned to live with the aggravation. 4K discs force you to skip past the trailers as well.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD definitely has its frustrating moments. If you are forced to use your TV+DVD player- tons of companies will not let you skip the FBI warning at least. But I've been watching discs on my PC for so long now, I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. If I have that much of a problem with a disc... then I just copy the film digitally onto my computer using MakeMKV or DVDShrink and watch it as a file with Media Player Classic or VLC player.

buck135 likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I definitely don't care for the bios that are included on some dics. I rarely look at included galleries (though an option to have those images on pc would be much more welcomed). I rarely watch commentaries but at least they can be quite informative.
    I do hate adds attached to the start of a disc. I also wish run times for special features were included so I know what I'm getting myself into (2 hours or 5 minutes etc). Also, it annoys me a little that digital codes are printed on the cover instead of being listed with a sticker or something removable.

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Definitely the bios.

And a big ol' FUCK YOU to whoever voted for commentary tracks. I bet you hate them because "I can't hear the movie" Eat a steamy bowl of fuck. Turn the audio over to the original film audio in that case. The whole point of a commentary is to listen to the cast or crew discuss the making of the film you wannabe ass raping film fans.

Also animated menus are awesome. Hate static lazy ass menus.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

I rarely do bonus features at all anymore. But I do remember the great ones from the superior days of Bonus Features Yore.

And those sometimes included photo galleries. Never cast & crew / talent bios.

And, Jesus Christ, I might disagree with someone who would vote for commentary tracks but... that ^ is some seriously uncalled-for rudeness. This is a thread about extras on a digital media disc, not The Draft picking people to involuntarily go to war...

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

+1 for this. I do agree that any scenes shown in animated menus should not be spoiling anything, other than that I prefer them over static menus too.

11. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Agreed. Commentaries are probably one of the best features. If you've seen the damn movie once, you should be able to re-watch it with the commentary later. Heaven forbid if you might learn something about the making of the film.

MisterTwister likes this.
  12. DVD-fanatic-9

Let's not trash either style of menu. There are / can be some beautiful menus which are just solid images without motion. Though, thinking about it, none come directly to mind... But I'm sure they exist.

13. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

If you're a huge film fan I don't get why you would hate commentary tracks. The best tracks can be incredibly fun and informative.

Yeah the spoiler thing sucks but I guess they figure with older movies the people watching have already seen the film.

WB's static menus piss me off.

14. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I've only watched a movie with the commentary track, MAYBE twice? A buddy and I watched Birdemic with the commentary and it was priceless. The guy pretty much just makes fun of his film for 90 minutes. Its better than the film itself.

The other is Superbad. And it blew my mind actually....... it was the weirdest thing ever. Seth Rogen at one point briefly brings up the time where he took mushrooms and watched Super Babies: Baby Geniuses 2...... and I shit you not, I literally had just done that same exact thing 6 days prior. Like, what are the fucking chances of that? I had to rewind it just to make sure I wasn't hearing things.

but yeah, not that I have anything against the commentaries, I really just don't have the time. I can't remember the last time I had a chance to watch bonus features.

Zombie Dude likes this.