What model of Laserdisc player do you own?

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by jscott, Mar 28, 2003.

1. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Okay Laserdisc enthusiusts, list your make and model of LD player. I'm currently using an RCA LDR 600, but I also have a Pioneer CLD-504, but the RCA gives me a better picture, and has an Optical PCM output. What are you packing? Sound off!

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I have a Pioneer CLD-D500 for some time now.

3. Dave

Dave Pimp

Had the infamous LD-S9 but sold it. :(

Now I'm packing the Pioneer CLD-D606. I'd like to add one more player into my collection and make the CLD-D606 a backup player. That probably won't happen until later this year, though.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm using the famous Pioneer CLD-D704, noted as the best non-Elite Pioneer player. I couldn't be happier with it.

My backup is a ProScan LD46, a clone of the 500-level Pioneers.

5. laserdogg

laserdogg Member

Own 2 704's, 1 in storage and 1 in use. Great player.

Have also kept all my old ones as they were supplanted by newer models.

VP1000
    PR8210
    LD700
    CLD-D502
    LDR600

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Soon to have Pioneer Elite cld-52, running some wack Quasar shit right now!

7. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I am currently using a Pioneer CLD-D701.......and it still looks and plays like it was just brought from the store.....great, durable player! :)

[​IMG]

And I'm always on the lookout for back-up players too.....

8. Sam

Sam Member

Pioneer Elite CLD-97
    Pioneer DVL-919

:)

9. sinister

sinister Member

I've got a Pioneer HLD-X9 and it really is as good as they say... very close to non-anamorphic DVD with a decent LD transfer. :)

10. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

Pioneer DVL-909
    Pioneer DVL-919

11. John

John Guest

I have Pioneer CLD-D504 Laserdisc player which I am hoping to upgrade sometime. I love lasers, but the player I have just doesn't have the quality I am looking for. A combination of seeing anamorphic DVD's and an aging machine has me looking for a solution. Man, I wish I had the funds to take that LD-S9 off of Dave when he was selling it. Oh well, someday!

12. Dave

Dave Pimp

504 is pretty limited. You would see a noticeable improvement going to something like the 704.

But yeah, if you really want to kick ass, go to LD-S9 or HLD-X9. After we buy a house or condo this summer, I may look into getting another LD-S9 or the HLD-X9 depending on the $ situation. Initially I wasn't going to bother as my collection is relatively small, but I find myself buying more and more lasers these days. I just picked up a handful of Twilight Zone (the 80's one) from Japan, Tales from the Darkside discs, and a handful of Japanese lasers. I guess it depends on how my collection grows and what, if any, make it onto DVD between now and then.

13. Dave

Dave Pimp

Here's some interesting information I was reading on alt.video.laserdisc today.

Response #1
    Response #2

Interesting that the CLD-79 and the CLD-D704 are essentially the same player. CLD-D704 is the better bargain as it's cheaper.

Even the CLD-99 is essentially the CLD-D704 with a 3D Adaptive filter. That filter is supposed to make a big difference in picture quality. The LD-S9 had a special 3D Y/C filter only found in a few Japanese players. This filter was newer, and superior to the one in the CLD-99.

Finally, the mother of all LD players - the HLD-X9 (Japanese model) - has that special 3D Y/C filter. BUT, from what everyone says, it provides a superior picture over the LD-S9. Not 2x as good, but noticably better to many people (probably depends on the size of TV too). It also has the benefit of being a Muse player, meaning it can play (with the appropriate decoder) high def. laserdiscs that were released in Japan (there weren't that many - a few dozen or so). People speculate that since the beam reading the signal is much smaller than other LD players (due it's ability to read Muse discs), this improves its ability to display standard NTSC lasers as well. Not sure if that's true, as I'm not very technical with laserdisc players. The HLD-X9 is also known to play rotted discs damn nearly perfectly. Again, they speculate it can do this because of the smaller/thinner beam.

LD-S9 can still be bought for ~ $1100-$1600 used.

HLD-X9 is well over $2000 used.

LD-S9 is a real bargain in comparison.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I had always heard that the 704 and 79 are pretty much the same thing.

I've said it before, but the 704 is the best "bang-for-the-buck" player out there right now. You can easily get them for around $300 or so, and it provides some amazing video quality for LD.

Oh, I'd love to see what some discs look like on the LD-S9 or the HLD-X9, but I kinda doubt I'd be able to get one for $300.

Also, look for the 703. It's the same as the 704 only without the AC-3 output. You can either buy one and just live without AC-3, or you can add the AC-3 output at a later date. I modified my old CLD-D502 with the AC-3 output, and it's relatively easy and actually kinda fun if you know your way around a soldering iron.

15. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I have a Pioneer model from about 91 or 92, plain vanilla as far as features go but the picture is crisp and it sounds great. Just nothing fancy I'm afraid. My grandmother hasn't shipped it here yet, so I know bugger what the model number is.

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Bye-bye Quasar, go sit in the closet until I might need you!

Hello Elite CLD-52! Now I can be even lazier and not switch sides manually!:D
    Picture looks at least 10 times better, not too much sound difference noticed. In fact, I had it set with digital coaxil and the 2 RCA cords into my reciever on video 1 and 2 respectibly, and noticed no change when switching the reciever from one to the other. Coax is back in place on region-free dvd, optical on region1 dvd, and all is well. I just need one more s-video in to my tv (reg. dvd has composite, reg-free has s-vid, LD stuck with componet:( )
    Do any devices exist that you can plug 2- 3 s-video's into with one output, like a switcher? That would be perfect for my set-up.

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

When I lived in Cali, I know Fry's electronics had S-Video switch boxes. I'm sure you can get them on the net.

Lots of receivers have S-Video switching ability as well.

18. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I have a Sony MDP 650D which I purchased around 12 years ago!! Scary how time flies!! I have to flip the discs and it's not AC3 but it's been a great player.

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Do you mean composite on the LD? If so, that's probably what you should use.

LD is a composite source. If you use the S-Video, you're using the comb filter in the LD player. If you use the composite, you're using the TVs filter. It's more than likely that your TV has a much better comb filter than the LD player.

20. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

I am not doubting that LD is a composite source, and should be viewed using the composite jacks. However, when I watch LD's using the S Video cable, the picture looks so much smoother/less grainey/less noisey than with composite. Is this because I have a sub par LD player (RCA LDR-600)? Or is it because my player has a noise reduction feature through the S Video jack? Or is my TV sub par (Toshiba 32A40, one component in, one S Video/Composite in)? This topic has me so torn that I have both the composite and S Video hooked up to my TV, so that any given time I can switch to one or the other for comparison purposes.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2003