What Next for Halloween?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by dwatts, Nov 11, 2005.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

In bad taste? Well, perhaps waiting 24 hours before asking the question would be appropriate - but really, it wouldn't make any difference.

I think it's a safe bet that ultimately, while the death of Moustapha Akkad might a new film, it won't be the end of Myers. One of Akkads sons had already begun to take over the reins, so eventually things should sort themselves out.

However, what of the nature of the films? To be perfectly honest, I was looking forward to a series of Halloween films without Akkads direct involvement. His stated dislike of the gorier aspects of slashers have, in my view, prevented the Halloween sequels from really making an impact. The franchise is a bit lost now (love them as I do), and he must have been part of that.

I'm wondering now if the Halloween franchise will get into darker territory, and really step up to the plate.

It's sad about Akkad, of course. But for the franchise..... I think ultimately it might be a good thing. I'm very much looking forward to where it goes, and once again, may he RIP.

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Don't worry dwatts, it's understandable as a fan of the series that you'd question where it will go now with the passing of Moustapha.

I'd like to see it take a lean towards the darker side myself. It could use a little mean-spiritidness to shake off the likes of the lesser parts of the series. All I'd ask is please, no more rappers and no more druids. Also, try not to be so trendy like throwing in the web-cam stuff. Gimmie something down and dirty with a serious tone. Make Michael scary again.

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I have nothing more to add. Good job, guys. :)

4. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I wish the series itself would die already. It's old and tired, please move on to something else.

5. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Maybe re-starting (not remaking) the Halloween franchise is a good idea.

6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

The next Halloween should have Sherif Wydel hunt Micheal down for a cleansing of the wicked... :p

Seriously though, Halloween needs to have some good characters again. Micheal seems to be the only one driving these films.

7. Well since Malek Akkad has been in charge of the series for years, I don't really see his death changing anything as far as Halloween is concerned.

8. adric

adric New Member

itd be cool if they made just one last final halloween film and kill off myers for good, so the last film in the series isnt resurrection.

9. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Oddly enough, I heard Steve Miner was working on a F vs. J part 2 script that would include Myers, but I doubt that will ever come to fruition since Myers isn't a New Line property. The way I see it, the series can only go up after the hackfest that was Resurrection. I'll add that I wouldn't count on major changes in the series structure since Malek Akkad is more heavily involved in the films than Moustapha.

10. killit

killit Active Member

The last halloween film I really liked was part 6, I know I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed it alot, theatrical cut and all.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I was aware that Malek was involved - but I'm guessing there was heavy influence from his father still in the series. Here's hoping for something "more".

12. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Part 6 is the 2nd best Haloween film IMO just behind the first one.

13. nukfut

nukfut Guest

I'll second the props for Halloween 6. I've never seen the producer's cut but the theatrical cut is one of the best of the series, IMO. Loomis is a raving lunatic. LOL.

14. sacateca

sacateca Guest

This'll never happen but i'd like to see it going to the direction Carpenter tried to take it with Halloween 3...that is, different Halloween stories.

15. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Halloween 4 is my favorite. Sorry, but I love Dr. Loomis. "NOO!... NOO!...NO!... NOOO!", haha

16. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

A lot of people blame Akkad... but I begin to think about how John Carpenter fucked up with the third installment and you have to believe that played a role in the making of later movies in the series. Whether you like part 3 or not, titling a movie 3 without Myers is absolute crap. F13 5 is somewhat the same with the false title, but really who knew it wasn't Jason until the last minute?

I agree, 4/5 could have used a bit more gore, but that's about my only real complaints of the series. But I don't get why people hate part 5... to me it's identical to 4!

17. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I think 3 is cool and one of the best in the series.

18. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

A New Beginning? What's the misleading part?

19. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

"If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone!" was the tagline. It's true to the film, but misleading either way. Even the DVD back cover says "Jason is back... hockey mask and all!"

20. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Totally agree. As far as I'm concerned, Myers died in Haddonfield Memorial after the explosion in the O.R.

Loved Halloween III - a little bit of Stepford, a little bit of Wicker Man, and a hell of a lot of fun. Not to mention one of the most diabolically hilarious plotlines in cinema history - as Cochran says, "It's a joke on the children." SICK joke which I think a lot of people just didn't get. I mean, it's really not all that different from Jack Skellington giving Christmas presents to the children that chase them around the room and try to gobble them up.

I think this movie would have fared better with audiences and critics if Carpenter had simply called it Season of the Witch.