What size TV do you need to appreciate 4K?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by horrorlover, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Sound like you have seen these screens with some kind of motion "enchancement", or dynamic setting, turned on.
    With those off, modern LCD TV:s look great as well. Even though the blacks and contrast isn't on the same level, even when local dimming is used.
    LED is the use for the backlight today, it's still LCD displays.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I only found out not long ago that there is a setting you need to turn off on LCD/LED displays that gives you the "soap opera" effect which from my understanding means the tv tries to add extra frames for whatever reason. Turning it off should give you the proper 24 frames per second. I hate the way the image looks when that is left on and thought a lot of TV's sucked because of this when I didn't know it was a settings feature.

You might as well get a 4k set as they are taking over the market with little 1080p sets left in production. The prices have come down a lot for them too so you can find affordable ones.

OLED is the future platform that will likely take over once they become more affordable and more companies start producing them. They have amazing viewing angles unlike LCD/LED TV's and are able to light individual pixels rather than having a backlight meaning blacks can be pure balck.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

What is the least expensive OLED set anyone here has seen? I was browsing at a PC Richard in Jersey City and I was in sticker shock. Are these really 5 grand??? At those prices I'm going to have to stick with an LED set. Spotted a Sony 65" LED for $1,500 on sale - maybe I'll go for that. Would've preferred a curved screen, though.

4. Zombie Dude

Yeah 5 grand sounds about right for a 55" 4K OLED here in Australia. That's why I've gone with an LED at the moment too. I think the curved screen is a bit of a gimmick. It seems more distracting than anything.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Curved screens are highly reflective and have a very centralized sweet spot to sit. Unless you plan upon watching films forever all by yourself in a room with no windows or with decent quality blackout curtains I really cannot recommend one.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I agree. I really wanted to like them, but I just don't.

7. Zombie Dude

My comment was a bit confusing but I don't actually have a curved screen myself in case you thought that. I was referring to elDomenechHDG comment about wanting one.
    I agree though. :)

8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I'm not 4K setup, but from what I'm reading that player isn't actually 4K UHD capable, but has the ability to upscale Blu-ray (1080P) content if connected to a 4K TV - as stated "Another exceptional feature is 4K Ultra-HD Up-scaling which comes standard with this model, providing the highest resolution available for your 4K." And the Video specs only list this for playback (no mention of UHD or Ultra HD Blu-ray nor 4K framesize [which would be 2160p] for output):

Video
    • System : NTSC PAL
    • Region : Blu-ray: A, B, C
    • DVD: 0-8
    • Progressive Scan : Yes, 1080p, 720p, 480p
    • HD Upconversion : Yes, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    • Video D/A Converter : Not Specified By Manufacturer
    • Signal to Noise Ratio : Not Specified By Manufacturer
    For instance, here's a Sony model that definitely plays UHD, notice the specs difference: https://www.220-electronics.com/sony-ubp-x800m2-region-free-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player-multi-region.html

Playback Capability
    • Disc Types: Ultra HD Blu-ray, BD-ROM, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), SA-CD (SA-CD/CD) Playback, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R Double Layer, CD (CD-DA), CD-R/-RW

Zombie Dude, Angelman and Myron Breck like this.
  10. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Yeah, you have to watch out for wording on those players. I'm sure a lot of people mistakenly bought blu-ray players thinking they could play UHD when in fact it was just the upscaling feature that was advertised.

Angelman likes this.
  11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

What size TV do you currently use? I was happy with a 54" TV until I got a 65" and now I wouldn't want to go back. Supposedly if you have a 65" or smaller it is difficult to tell much difference but it becomes more noticeable on larger screens.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-you-need-to-see-4k-1847330

Angelman likes this.
  12. Angelman

My TV is so old I’d probably need to measure it. Thanks for all the input. I just figured since I have 4K discs I might as well have the player for them.

Does your 65 inch overwhelm the room?

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Still rockin’ my 2011 42” Panasonic Plasma and will hold onto it until it dies, however long that is. I really don’t want a new set, 4K or not because they are all flimsy as fuck. I hate them.

wago70 and X-human like this.
  14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My TV is in a room that is about 15' x 20' so the size isn't an issue. The couch is about 10' away. When I see other TVs now that are smaller they just seem so little. Also the costs now are so affordable for larger sets unless you're going for top of the line.

15. Angelman

I don’t need anything crazy, just a nice solid set.

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I was thinking of getting this: Samsung UA-65HU8500 65" 4K Ultra HD UHD Smart Multisystem 3D LED TV with Wifi
    Plus this: Sony UBP-X800M2 Region free 4k UHD Blu-ray Player Multi Region

and calling it a day. I'm seriously jonesing for a 3D set-up and the TVs are so hard to come by these days.

Angelman likes this.
  17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Regarding 220 Electronics: they no longer carry 3D tvs--even though they have something like 8 different sets on their website. :fuck:

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

They haven't really even manufactured any 3D TV's in something like 3 years now. Unless it somehow makes a comeback, it's pretty much a dead technology as far as TV's go. You can still get one, you just have to find an older set...which can be problematic.

Zombie Dude and Myron Breck like this.
  19. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Yeah, I know. I really waited too long. I just assumed that, since they were advertising 3D tvs on their site....they might have them. Crazy, I know. :D

Katatonia likes this.
  20. Dave

Dave Pimp

I have a 12 foot screen for my 1080p projector. Decent sized room but still obnoxiously large for the size room it is in. I love it. Total man cave. Might try to get a 4k projector this year if I can fit it into the budget somehow.