What was the best decade of music?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by CrazyFatEthel, Oct 5, 2009.

?

What is the best decade of music?

1. 50's and below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 60's

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. 70's

21 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. 80's

33 vote(s)
    47.8%
  5. 90's

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  6. 2000 and up

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Well which was it in your opinion?

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Honestly...there's no possible way I can answer this question. Definitely not the 2000s (and probably not the '80s - but in that case, it depends on what you listen to).

But yeah....I don't think I can choose. I like certain decades for certain types of music, just like films.

~Matt

3. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

For me the 80's.

Even though it started in the late 70's...my favorite genre of music "Hardcore Punk" was at it's peak in the 80's.
    So that's why i went with it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  4. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I've enjoyed every decade of music since R&R started, it is hard to choose. I chose the 80's because I enjoyed pretty much every single genre that was popular then, can't say the same about the other decades.

5. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

It was REALLY tough between 70's and 80's. I loved alot of the disco in the 70's, but I loved the rock of the early 80's. But alot of Heart came out in the late 70's...70's for me!!!!:D

6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

70's - Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin were peaking. And disco and funk baby :)

7. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I am pretty much an 80s guy...with the exception of hair metal which I hate almost as much as country and rap music from this or any era.

8. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

I agree with the country & Rap part, but define hair bands....like the not so know ones or classic ones?

9. AndresG

AndresG Member

as a metalhead, the 80's were the greatest years for metal imo :)

10. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

80's followed closely by the 70's. A lot of great rock and roll in those 2 decades!

11. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

:banana:

12. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

amen to that

13. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I hate the 80s glam rock hair bands...stuff like Cinderella, Poison, etc...especially Night Ranger. The song Sister Christian makes me want to kill myself....just writing about it makes me feel like my teeth are going fall out and my fingernails are going to start bleeding. But pretty much all other 80s music I pretty much love. Oddly I listen to more of it now than I did at the time. When I was in high school (graduated in '89) I pretty much only listened to punk and hardcore music...with a few exceptions like Peter Gabriel and a few others. I feel like I missed out on alot of really fun pop music that I was aware of...but never really bothered listening to because I was too busy worrying about be "cool" and going against the mainstream radio stuff.

14. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

The 70's and 80's had some great music but a lot of it was kinda hidden away from the mainstream. 70's you had stuff like Joy Division and the Sex Pistols and in the 80's you had a ton of great bands that while they had their followings werent very mainstream, at least in the States. The 90's a lot of the stuff that would have stayed somewhat underground suddenly was popular, which also brought a lot of the crappy imitators along with them. If you go by what was considered pretty mainstream I would go with the 90's even with all the crap bands labeling themselves "alternative" and werent. But as far as music all around whether it was mainstream or not I would go with the 80's. Yes you had the god awful hair bands and stuff but for people that were really into music there was a lot of great exciting stuff happening in the smaller clubs and underground scene. Some of these underground successes got pretty big over time (like the Cure and Sonic Youth). You also had some great nuwave stuff and some of the best one hit wonders ever (IMO). And in metal you had Metallica when they were actually good! <: It just seems in the 80's there were a lot of pioneers in music changing it and taking chances and this included metal, punk, "alternative", emo, nuwave, hard rock, dance etc etc. So overall for the whole decade and its music overall Id go 80's, but its a very subjective poll depending on your age and preference in music.

15. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Imo, the only REALLY good bands that came out in the 90s were No Doubt, Hanson, and did Avril Lavgine come out in 99 or 2000...or 2002?

16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Just for me personally I really liked stuff like Murder City Devils, At the Drive In, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Sleater Kinney, Nine Inch Nails, My Bloody Valentine- For me I could go on and on and on with some bands that were popular at the time and others a lot of people may not have heard of. It was a good era of music that was ruined when record labels started tagging everyone alternative and a ton of copy cat cookie cutter bands came out. But again it comes down to taste- for my tastes the 90's had a lot of great stuff both mainstream and not mainstream but I still voted for the 80's with what was happening with music overall during that decade.

17. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I chose 60s. Though I love the 50s, 70s and first half of the 80s as well. (It appears from 1986 onward, movies lost a little flare, but were still good...music however, was murdered throughout the past 24 years). But the synth is one of my favorite sounds, hence why I love 80s slashers and only early 80s tunes. Oh, the 80s. R.I.P...no wait. It is being resurrected as of recent, so, 'Welcome Back', I guess.

18. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Yep, my thoughts exactly!!!!:banana:

19. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

80s - most of my favorite bands either got started then or had their best albums then.

20. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

While I'm sure it has a bit to do with my youth, I have to go with the 80s. Popular music was crap, but there was so much interesting stuff happening in the underground scene that I think it was hard not to be excited about being alive during that time period. There were so many bands that thrilled me, like: Swans, Skinny Puppy, Grandmaster Flash, Coil, Metallica (at their peak), Birthday Party, Wolfgang Press, Bauhaus, Naked Raygun, Big Black, Soundgarden, Ministry, John Zorn, Boredoms, Merzbow, Scott Walker starting to get weird, and Pulp (but I'll admit they peaked in the 90s)

I'll admit that the 60s were probably just as innovative, but with the exception of Scott Walker, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, and Pink Floyd (I prefer their 60s stuff to their 70s), I really don't connect with it as much emotionally. Granted, those artists count for a lot to me and that alone almost made me say the 60s.

But, in the end, I had to give it to the 80s just for the wide variety. And Leonard Cohen released some of his best material in the 80s as well. So, he gets to straddle.