What was the best decade of music?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by CrazyFatEthel, Oct 5, 2009.

?

What is the best decade of music?

1. 50's and below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 60's

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. 70's

21 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. 80's

33 vote(s)
    47.8%
  5. 90's

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  6. 2000 and up

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Couldn't have said it better...

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I'm a metalhead, but... I gave the 60's could have been equally the 70's.

My favorite years are between 1966-1976. The best Elvis years, the best Neil Diamond years, the best Phil Specter years (well, the 70's maybe not any of em), the best prog years, perhaps the best metal years, disco is finding its sound, as is funk... the Carpenters, the best garage psych, The Monkees... Maybe not the best ELO years, but some of the best ELO songs...

I give up.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Very tough,each decade has something to offer.I'm most fond (overall) of the late 60's-early 70's rock (though I loved a lot of late seventies to mid 80's New Wave stuff too).I'll go with the 60's for influence but I'm really torn.

4. I voted for the '80s. Like, totally ...
    ;) :p

5. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

:lol:

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I was really hard for me to pick between the 60's and 70's as for me they are by far and away the best decades for music. I went with the 60's as I think it was a tad more influential. The early 90's were very good as well. The 80s and this decade would come in last for me. They just lacked much substance IMO.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  7. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Like most have said, it's the 80s followed closely by the 70s for me. Not to turn my back on the 60s though... some great music came out of that decade as well.

8. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

i actually can pick 70s, 80s and 90s, since those are the decades most present in my collection, but i picked 80s

9. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

70's-Alice Cooper, KISS, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, some of The Rolling Stones' best work. Easy one for me.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

:spit:
    strike one, strike two, aaaaaand, strike three! yer out! ah, just kidding. no doubt had a couple ok songs. but hansen was....well....jesus....what the hell were they? and avril lavigne is a britney spears clone, who just happens to be in a different genre. completely vapid.

i went with the 70's, although i agree with matt, that its kind of impossible to pick a single decade. but the beatles and jimi hendrix were still around (barely) in 1970, and the rolling stones hadn't fallen on their faces yet. you've got zep, queen, the ramones, and floyd in their primes, bon scott singing for AC/DC, david bowie, johnny cash taking on his man in black persona. then by the end of the decade you've got the beginning of 80's stuff like Prince, or bands that had been around for a while finally getting big, like the Scorpions, Judas Priest, or Van Halen. So the 70's has all of its own greatness going for it, along with touches of the 60's and 80's.

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I picked the 70s, but understand that my definition of 70s is music made between the years of 1972-1982. For whatever reason it always takes a few years for a decade's "sound" to take shape. My favorite years are 1978, '79, and '80.

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Went with the 80's. If you would have asked me in high school, I probably would have said 70's because I was all on the prog rock bandwagon with all of my other pseudo-hippy friends. The 70's were great, but a lot of that music has lost its appeal to me. The 60's, for me, are just half great/half fucking horrible. As time has went on, the 80's were really where it was at for me. You had New Wave becoming really popular, Punk peaking (around 81-83), psychobilly stuff like the Cramps, some really wacky and actually just plain good pop music, as well as the metal and industrial scenes really starting to take shape. The late 80's were great and set up a lot of the alternative acts that would become big successes in the 90's. The 90's started off great, with G'n'R releasing great stuff, Pantera and White Zombie at their best, and new bands like Green Day and Weezer coming out, but by the mid-90's there were too many grunge and alt-rock wannabes and shortly thereafter was the onslaught of fabricated shit like Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Spice Girls, Hanson, etc. Save for a few select bands, I don't even listen to current popular music.

13. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

For me, it's the 80'S!! Although, alot of my Favorite Bands like Kiss, Alice Cooper, Whitesnake, Journey, Styx, Foreigner, and others started in the 70'S, it was really the 80'S that introduced me to them!! I Love 80'S Metal, and so many of my Favorites like Dokken, Slaughter, Poison, Warrant, Ratt, Vixen, and More are from the 80'S!! So, Long Live 80'S Metal!!

14. For some reason, it just felt like the right thing to say last night and I was smiling so much when I typed it out. *lol* :lol:

15. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Since I grew up in the 1970's, I had to choose that decade. The 80's were okay, as were the 60's, but current music...OMG..horrible, for the most part.

16. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

God, I can't pick one. I love a little bit of everything from Fletcher Henderson to The Killers. Hate rap though and twangy country. Thayrz a tayer in mah bayer . . . Love Dolly though. Even when she's bein' twangy.

17. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I have friends that like country but I have never been able to stand it and especially now that most of its more pop then country even (whats the point?) But there is an exception for me- I love me some Johnny Cash! Holla!

18. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

It sure is a tough call between the 70's and 80's. I'll go 80's because it has some great rock and I still find New Wave to be funny.

Shouldn't Auto-Tune disqualify the 2000's?

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

My favorite decade for music is the 70's. Popular groups were usually releasing more than one studio album per year. :eek: Rock, funk, and punk were at their best in my opinion during the 70's.

20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

That's the one thing I hate about bands today. The Beatles released like 11 albums in an 8 year span. We're lucky these days if an artist releases 5 in 10 years.