What was the best decade of music?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by CrazyFatEthel, Oct 5, 2009.

?

What is the best decade of music?

1. 50's and below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 60's

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. 70's

21 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. 80's

33 vote(s)
    47.8%
  5. 90's

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  6. 2000 and up

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. shockwave

shockwave New Member

70s easily. You had everything from King Crimson and Pink Floyd to Chic and Cat Stevens to Devo, there was something for everyone. I love the 80s though, it was all about fun and didn't take itself so seriously, but I think the 70s had the best variety but I listen to all kinds of bands and artists, however I think from when Grunge hit in the early 90s is when everything went to shit IMO.

2. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

late 60's through the 70's. Voted 70's.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

70's for me. But also loved the 80's. Too bad couldn't choose both...

4. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Absolute bitch to pick one, because that would imply I might actually be willing to toss the others out of my collection. Fat chance.

About the only thing I can decide for certain is it certainly wasn't after the 80s, because IMO music pretty much started to go to shit then. Yes, I've got several techno and industrial artists from those latter years - Fluke, Underworld, Praga Khan, Orbital, Skinny Puppy, Juno Reactor, etc etc. Yet those genres were drowned out by a vast wasteland of formulaic and soul-less dance crap, giving strong merit to a contempt for the music scene much like the taint of disco had overshadowed the quality of the 70s.

But Rock long since felt like it was on its death bed - its glory days in the 60s through 80s fondly remembered and lamented. From Yardbirds to Moody Blues to Floyd to Yello to Parsons to Idol to Devo to Boingo, and way too many others all over the genre map. Those decades are frankly hard to measure up to, with everything since bowing down like a Wayne's World skit chanting "we are not worthy!".

If the decision was made by which decade had more CDs in my collection, it would probably be 80s, followed closely by 70s, then 90s and 60s battling for third in roughly equal numbers but entirely different genres.

5. Sam

Sam Member

Probably the 60s, though I can find something I really like from just about any decade from the 50s to present. As mentioned, certain genres may stick out more and tip the balance for a particular decade -- like metal or indie rock during the 80s.

6. MidnightRambler

MidnightRambler New Member

Chose the '60s because of the crazy amount of classic albums released between '66-'69, but it could as well be the 70s. '65-'72 is my favorite period for music and probably the most revolutionary as well... Not surprised to see the '80s lead because of the metal/punk fans here (I prefer the late 70s for these genres) but aside from the B-horrors I hate that decade ;)

7. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

For me, really 1967-76 would be the golden age, but I went with '70s. Deep Purple,Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, King Crimson, Yes, etc.!

I love the 80s as well...

HATED the 90s.

8. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

The 80s by a mile, the 90s was good at points, cheesy as hell at others and down right awful in the late 90s.

Nothing even comes close to the awesomeness of the 80s.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

You're right, it didn't come close to the awesomeness of the 80's...

Because it had it's own kind of awesomeness. It didn't need to come close to any other decade. :D

10. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

80's that's the decade I grew up in and I can listen to all most any kind of 80's music genre and dig it. The 70's come a close 2nd though.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Great thread. I went with the 80's because not only were there so many different types of good music, but there were so many types of rock (classic, punk, thrash, death, hardcore, etc). The 90's alt craze was great, but it seemed that when it died, so did rock in general. I don't care for NuMetal, and the rest all sounds like Nickleback to me. Shinedown for example. Why can't they have any other songs that rock the way Sound of Madness does?

12. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

I voted 70s... but anything before the abomination of 'rap' and 'hip hop' was heavenly.

13. BoredSeal

BoredSeal New Member

80´s. But for electronica and dance music it would be 90´s.

14. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Was between 60's, because of The Beatles, The 70's, because of Disco, and The 80's. Had to go with the 80's, because I was a teenager in the 80's, and each time I hear a song from the 80's, I can remember where and sometimes what I was doing when the song originally came out. 60's and 70's both tied for 2nd.

15. sundownrider

sundownrider Guest

80's for me there was something for everyone. Unlike the 90's your choices were rap or alternative crap. Most music nowadays is complete garbage. 70's were pretty kick ass but the 80's were the peak.