What was the first movie that gave you nightmares?

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Dec 12, 2004.

1. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

when i was 3 my parents took me to see Poltergeist in the theater. I didnt get scared or have nightmares but, I used to have nightmares that Beaker from the muppets would steal everything out of my room.

2. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I had nightmares from several television movies that I caught glimpses of on television..."Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" with Kim Darby, "Satan's Triangle" with Kim Novak, and "Voices" with David Hemming and Gayle Hunnicutt, which had an ending almost identical to that of "The OThers"...And I also used to have nightmares about "Night of the Living Dead", way before I'd ever seen the movie, just based on what I read in the TV Guide about it, and a couple of stills I'd seen in Famous Monsters....Feh.

3. JIMX1975

JIMX1975 Member

The Shining was the first one that kept me up, but Nightmare on Elmstreet is the one that gave me bad dreams for a couple of months.

4. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Hellraiser hooks in the face didn't go down well with me when I was 4.

5. Latency

Latency Guest

The Entity ...... I had nightmares for years as a child .....

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yep, that's another great one that scared the hell out of me out as a kid.

7. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I used to have nightmares about the evil witch in Sleeping Beauty ...

And I couldn't look at Bob from Twin Peaks. I remember there was a huge (or I remember it being huge) picture of him in a TV guide and just looking at that picture terrified me so I always had to skip through it ...

8. Lucio Romero

Lucio Romero Member

Hey Everyone,

The only horror film to ever give me nightmares was the first one I ever saw and that was Salem's Lot, I was only 5 at the time. The 2 scenes of Ralphie Glick at Danny's bedroom window plus Danny biting Mike Ryerson's neck ( check my current avatar ) still give me nightmares 22 years after seeing it for the first time.

The only other films to come close to giving me nightmares are The Exorcist, Don't Go To Sleep, Mutant and Burnt Offerings. Audrey Rose and Dead Of Night ( the 1977 one with the Bobby segment ) were also pretty creepy at the time I saw them but seem a bit tame now.

LUCIO !!!!!

---------------------------------- :evil: ---------------------------------

Grease Guy : Four pounds of grease...that comes to 63 cents.
    Homer : Woo Hoo.
    Bart : Dad, all that bacon cost 27 dollars.
    Homer : Yeah, but your mom payed for that.
    Bart : But doesn't she get her money from you.
    Homer : And I get my money from grease, what's the problem.

9. tyuun

tyuun New Member

Night of the Living Dead (zombies in general scarred the shit out of me as a kid) and Nightmare on Elm Street 3. I used to have reoccuring zombie dreams all the time till I was about 16 even though I loved the films (overtime they became not scary and more interesting and I actually enjoyed them). I was also completely terrified of Freddy as a kid it was unbelievible (these nightmares were never fun and always terribly scary dreams). And now you ask me what my favorite horror franchises are? Nightmare on Elm Street and the Living Dead Trilogy, of course! Dispite the fact that I love Freddy now, no shit, I had a Freddy nightmare no more than 4 years ago (and I'm 24 now!) and let me tell you they are a thousand times scarier than the movies. Fucked up shit!
    This is what set off my zombie nightmares to begin with!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  10. I still have re-occuring nightmares. They usually begin during film productions. I'm in a business where absolutely no one can be trusted which gives me paranoid nightmares.

In terms of movies that gave me re-occuring nightmares, they would include "Carnival of Souls", "Night of the Living Dead" and "Titanic".

11. BloodyBabe

BloodyBabe Guest

:( That is very sad to hear, Rich.
    Sounds like a very stressful field to work in. :eek:

12. betterdan

betterdan Guest

It is also sad he had to endure the crapfest known as Titanic :(

13. Regarding the above comments...

I enjoyed "Titanic" after the fact. It grew on me. Initially I thought it was overated and felt that Di Caprio's performance was too contemporary and anacronistic.
    I also thought the cinematography was mediocre with muted colors, soft focus and artificial looking digital effects. However, the movie did have great narrative drive. I liked the transitions and details of the ship sinking and eventually warmed to the movie (pun intended) to the point where it's the only film of the nineties I have a copy of other than the re-issue of "Grease". (Personally, I though the 90's was the nadir of the motion picture art form) On a two hundred million dollar budget, I wish they had shot "Titanic" in 70mm and limited the number of digital effects but now I'm accustomed to Di Caprio's performance and really like the picture. Interestingly enough, I originally disliked "Grease" when I saw it in 1978 too. It was too close to my high school experience with greasers who were vicious scumbags in my school. As I distanced myself from my teen years, I warmed up to that movie too and it's one of my favorite musicals.

As I said, "Titanic" was the first movie since "Night of the Living Dead" to give me reoccuring nightmares, primarily because I cannot swim and never go in the water outside of showers.

Bloody Babe...you've got to love movies to work in the film industry because it's
    a tough racket. Survival skills are necessary. I guess I'm hanging in there
    because I've been making features since 1982 but it ain't easy...

Most of the companies and people I've dealt with over the years have gone out
    of business or found some other field. My DP on "Head Games" became a comic
    artist for Marvel, the co-producer on that picture is now marketing school supplies and so forth. Few people I knew in the low budget survived.

14. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I watched that movie tons of times as a kid and I always fast forwarded over that part. That scene is scary as hell when you're a kid.

Another one that always got me was Johnny Depp falling into his bed in Nightmare on Elm Street. That always freaked me out as a kid. Does anyone notice how many people mentioned Nightmare on Elm Street?

15. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Remember seeing a film called Prisoner in the Middle as a child, and that was the first one to give me nightmares. Was pretty brutal. Not available on dvd though.

16. Beyond the Door ( 1974 ) was the first film that truly gave me nightmares for weeks , i was only 6 at the time and we just came over from England . Watching it on the big screen at the drive-in , I believe my Aunt and Uncle snuck my brother , sister and I in the Drive-in as we was far too young to watch this sort of film .

[​IMG]

17. Surnom

Surnom New Member

I just remember something - the Superman movie where there's a girl turning into a robot - that's scare me to death when i was a kid. And I never saw that picture again (mostly because i've become uninterested in Superman...)

18. horror addict

horror addict Member

locked in my room with tons of horror dvds
    I had nightmares after watching IT when it originally aired in 1990. Tim Curry still creeps me out when I watch it today. I remember after I watched Nightmare On Elm Street for the first time, I had some fucked up Freddy dreams, although watching the sequels many times, has sort of killed his scare factor. I also was scared shitless when I watched the Outer Limits episode "Under The Bed" for the first time, something about that show just gives me the creeps. One constant though are dreams about the apocalypse and dreams about being eaten by a sea creatures, particularly a shark. The combination of seeing Jaws a million times, and being afraid of deep water, has seemed to cement those dreams in my brain. Most of my other dreams don't seem to have a particular theme, except that they are majorly fucked up. I swear one time I had a dream that water had flooded the Earth and giant sea monsters roamed the flooded streets, at the same time a chemical was turning people into zombies, and my pets and family turned into zombies, and I was eaten repeatedly by the aformentioned sea monsters. I get freaked out just thinking about it. :nervous: :fucked:

Superman was always too goody two shoes for me, give me Batman or Spider-man any day. :D

19. Ash J. Williams

Ash J. Williams New Member

I don't think I've ever had a nightmare directly from a horror movie. They don't scare me enough, not even as a kid. I love them, though. Anyway, the only movies that really scared me as a kid were ones with horrible-looking demonic... things. Examples: The Trilogy of Terror doll, the Thing From the Crate in Creepshow and the illistrations in that one series of scary stories books. You know, thin little paperbacks with black borders on the covers and those crazy... freakish... pictures....

Anyway. Yeah, first post. Didn't go too well.

20. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Beyond the Door for me too! I saw it when it first came out...I was about 5. That scene with the possessed dolls is classic...and the end of the scene where the daughter goes to her mom for help only to have mommy spin her head 360 degrees still gets to me.
    "What begins with D...DEVIL!"