what's the big deal about euro horror?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by frightfan, Jul 22, 2003.

1. frightfan

frightfan New Member

There, now that I have your attention, I have to explain that I am not "trolling" or flaming or stirring the pot or taunting the canniballistic natives...

I just want to try to get a little better understanding of how someone who makes a film like Zombi2 can be as revered as Lucio Fulci is. Or how Dario Argento is a "master of horror" because of a film like Susperia or Inferno.

now, I will admit that these films have some TRULY striking imagery... like the basement underwater scene from Inferno or the the wife-buffet at the doctor's house in Zombi 2. These images were carefully crafted and remain memorable 10 years after a single viewing and hundreds of hours of me watching other films since. That is very impressive.

But then you have incredibly dull, plodding or even senseless "story" telling... it's way into style-over-substance territory most of the time and truly tries one's patience.

I try to enjoy Susperia, I really do, but I have sat through it a half dozen times, by myself mind you, trying to find what it is I think I must have missed in the previous viewing. To tell the truth, I am still looking.

I can overlook the horrendous dubbing that results from getting europeans to phonetically speak their english lines and then recording american voices over them.

I can overlook the hammy acting that induces far too many winces for all the wrong reasons.

I think Fulci's intention was that I should be frightened and on the edge my seat when the girl in Zombi2 gets her tracheotomy via the conquistador zombie, but I can't be because I just keep wondering why, when she knows that something just reached up out of the ground to grab her hair, does she not take a few steps away from the area while the thing gets up from it's 10" deep grave...)

The fact that simple storytelling techniques elude someone who has been doing that for 20 years already is completely annoying sometimes!

So PLEASE enlighten me. you guys are all so often in awe of these movies and I just want to try and understand.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2004
  2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

No clue, sorry.

3. frightfan

frightfan New Member

ok, so that's one...

any other takers? :)
    I posted this question a few years ago in the imdb.com horror forums and got some replies, although mostly from 14 year olds who have issues with women and don't care about anything but movies where they get hurt in horrible ways.

I trust that this site is of higher calibre than that :)

4. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Think about what you posted. You said that those scenes stayed with you over the years. Why do you think that is? Sure, a lot of these films are style over substance but they are effective nonetheless. I love Suspiria and Inferno and I believe that explaining those films would completely ruin them. They are supposed to be shrouded in mystery... that's a part of their charm, IMO.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I don't even think about euro horror only in the context of Argento and Fulci. You seem to be asking about those two specifically. I like plenty of euro horror, from the sublime (Early Hammer) to the ridiculous (First Man Into Space).

All euro horror is not senseless, with bad dubbing and plots. Some is, but then, I've seen plenty of english language films that suffered artistic incontinence too :)

6. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

She was paralyzed with fear.;) Actually, I wasn't crazy about Fulci at first, but his films kind of grow on you. Eurohorror traditionally focuses less on storyline and more on style, but I believe there are two main types of Euro. There's the kind that flows with style and intense visuals, like Bava, Argento, and sometimes Fulci. And there's the kind that flows with cheese, like Mattei, Lenzi, Bianchi, and sometimes Fulci.:D I actually have a soft spot for the latter and I find myself watching this type more often, especially the ones with zombies and/or cannibals.:banana:

7. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Euro Horror rocks!!:banana: :banana:

8. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Because it's obscure and we're geeks.

Sure, in the final analysis, the stuff sucks, but few people know who Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci are and that gives the stuff geek cred.

It's not unlike anime.

Euro horror, for the most part, has terrible acting, worse writing, and good set pieces. I mean, between murders, I just wince at the awful writing and acting in "Deep Red."

But it's still better than watching a bunch of preppies and sorority girls brushing their hair and screaming at a stuntman in a halloween mask in what passes for "horror" today.

9. Hernster

Hernster Guest

European Cinema has been a major influence on American Films too. :)

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The way i see it, is that Euro horror is an experience that you need to let grow on you, and not something you can force yourself to enjoy. The first time i watched Suspiria and Deep Red i was like, What the hell is this crap? then i gave them another shot. I turned off all the lights and really concentrated on the mood of the Movie, while i was watching them i felt myself getting total immersed in the colours the Music and atmosphere. I felt like the director had almost put me in a surreal dream, one that i didn't want to wake up from. The bad acting and lack up story became inconsequential as in a dream nothing makes sense, or needs to, you just have to go with it and see where it takes you.

By the time i finished watching the movie i was like, I'm not sure what exactly i just watched but man i loved every minute of it. Then i went out and rented all the Euro Horror i could get my hands on and have never looked back.

Well that's a little story about my person experience with Euro Horror (Argento especially). Hopefully that sheds some light on your question.

11. frightfan

frightfan New Member

well I think I agree mostly with JW77...

..."it's still better than watching a bunch of preppies and sorority girls brushing their hair and screaming at a stuntman in a halloween mask in what passes for "horror" today"...

I guess it's just frustrating to see the potential for suspense in these movies being ruined by the very creators themselves through lame plot-forwarding coincidences and the even lamer use of misogeny and extreme gore in attempt to cover up what is lacking...

I also agree with Cydeous: the images HAVE remained and that counts for something. But I also remember the wheelchair and rubber ball from "The Changeling" which also had decent if not oscar-winning perfomances (although the movie won 8 canadian Genie Awards which is nice but not hard to do for any canadian production) as well as great pacing and aneurysm-inducing suspense.

What is it about euro horror film makers that disallows valuable assets in favor of more screentime for the victim's spleen?

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

See, this is why I HATE messages like this, because the people posting them have absolutely no idea what it is they're posting about. This just proves to me two things: 1) You are new to the forum, and 2) You are new to Eurohorror.

Like someone said before, you cannot simply sit there and FORCE yourself to like it. That just defeats the purpose. Nor can you say "This is utter crap." five minutes into the movie. You have to actually give it a chance, get into it. Some people, like you, obviously, have trouble getting into Eurohorror. Maybe it's a genre that just wasn't meant for you. We all have our different reasons for liking it, and you may have your certain reasons for disliking it. And I don't consider the acting necessarily bad, how can you tell with all that awful dubbing? Unless you speak the language, I doubt you will be able to tell how their performance is (unless it is a rare occurence where their performance is so good or so bad it extends beyond language barriers).

Do you like Scream? If so, that is what I expected. :D

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I can't believe that when people talk "euro horror" all they can come up with is Fulci, Bava and Argento. That just about says it all to me.

14. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I totally agree. Even though they are the pioneers of the genre, there are so many others that are just as good as they are.

15. Trout

Trout Guest

I think a lot of it has to do with culture to. Watch a comedy film from HK, and I could almost bet that a majority of the jokes would go right over the heads of most western viewers. When I first saw "Don't torture a duckling", it felt very "alien" to me (not the movie "Alien", mind you...), mainly because it was about a culture/way of life that is unknown to me.

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I remember the first Euro-horror movie i purchased, it was The Wicker Man. (yes I consider that Euro-horror) Now that film didn't really tickle my fancy too much, but it got me curious about European Cinema, or foreign cinema in general. The next foreign film I picked up was Deep Red, I didn't understand one lick of that movie the first time, but I watched it again, then it grew on me. Next I got Opera and I absolutely loved it and it is one of my favorite films. They grow on ya, but it takes time, about a month in my case.

17. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

In regards to Argento and Fulci. Story wise Suspiria is not one of my favorite films. However, it has got to visually be of the best films around. I really like most of Argento's films otherwise. Fulci, has had some hit and misses in the horror arena, but his westerns and mafia films really rock. Once again, these two Italians and we can throw both Bava's into this, have always produced stunning visuals.

18. frightfan

frightfan New Member

Re: Re: what's the big deal about euro horror?

Obviously on both accounts, but I really think I can like these movies if I know what I am looking for... or maybe watch the right ones... I really liked Lamberto Bava's "Demons" and Michele Soavi's "Dellamorte Dellamore"... I think I might like "The Church" but have a hard time renting these movies where I am and they're not available on Kazaa usually.... and NO I will not be buying a $30 dvd that I haven't seen unless it's obviously something I WILL like.

Now that's just mean... what'd I ever do to you? :cry:

Can anyone recommend something for me?
    I notice there are alot of Canadian fans here... what sites do you guys go to to buy in Canadian funds? The American exchange and customs charges usually keep me from purchasing online.

I already know about chapters.ca, amazon.ca and futureshop.ca but are there any others that might be less known?

19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Re: Re: Re: what's the big deal about euro horror?

Sorry, man... didn't think you'd take it so seriously. :)

Oh, you think you'll like The Church? Well, I doubt it. If you don't like Suspiria, you definitely won't like The Church... hell, even I didn't like it, and I love Suspiria! :D

20. frightfan

frightfan New Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: what's the big deal about euro horror?

S'ok :)
    So I might not... what do you think of movies like Cannibal Ferox or Cannibal Holocaust... even though they went WAY beyond my generally high tolerance for gore, I did really enjoy them both... in spite of the dubbing, the acting was very good and the story was quite good and the structure of each film allowed for a very unique pace in each film. I did not expect to enjoy them as much as I did.

I think I want to give Inferno another chance, but I really hate that thing about stuffing the cats in bag etc... it's really hard to watch, which I hope the film makers take as a compliment :) nothing wrong with the acting in that film either I suppose but the story was almost completely lost on me last time I tried to watch it.

Any other suggestions?