what's the big deal about euro horror?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by frightfan, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Most of you are talking about Italian horror.
    Surely there's more?
    Even Dutch horror:Amsterdamned,The Lift,The Johnsons and some little flick I saw about a killer phone booth.

2. Crystal Plumage

Oh there's even Danish horror (Evil Ed)

3. Luna

Luna Guest

I liked "The Lift" as far as I recall. I have it on VHS. I think they're remaking it?

4. Crystal Plumage

5. Dwhots

Dwhots New Member

I think the major differences between euro and american horror movies is in its style. In europe I find more of their films have an almost operatic sense to them, they are big on the theatrics. Big colors, big acting styles, big over the top violence. Everything seems to be handled in a more in your face style, where as in north american is more sublte in their style (minus the cgi effects).

In places like France and Italy the culture seem to be brought up in a more artistic climate, from Opera's, Paintings, architecture, its all there. And from that, I think thats where their films come in. Its not real, it doesn't look real, its very over the top in all areas.

I started watching Mario Bava film when I was ten and they blue me away with all the beautiful images that were on the screen. It was like whating on of my dreams slowly turn into a nightmare.
    Then I started watching Argento films, his films to me are beautiful nightmares where everything is the way it shouldn't be. Colors will clash, sound will fill your ears. His films truely invade the senses.
    Fulci was next, like most fans, and to me he has taken some of the framing that Bava and Argento had done and made it more grim, dirtier. Watching City of the Living Dead (Gates of Hell) you can see this, some wonderful scenes mixed with a vile atmosphere.
    There is also Pupi Avati who has made some wonderful films, his style is toned down, but still full of style.

In France we have Jean Rollin and his softcore vampire flicks, he was more interested in, from what I read just plain images, like that of a comic book, not really coherent storys.

I have not seen to many german films, so I will not say much about them, as of yet.

But, the three major infuences in eurohorror have been Bava, Argento and Fulci, most people have seen their films and more and more directors follow in their footsteps in style until, like Soavi find their own voice.

Perhaps thats the best way to sum it up. In North America films are judged by their standing, how much can they make, the studio wants its movie so the director looses some of his or her voice. In Europe, directors have more freedom to experiment, find their voice. Hell I salute them all for it.

cheers

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

This is actually why I like some Eurohorror because a cliche three act story structure is rather dull and predictable for me, and to have storying telling that you can't get a handle on is rather refreshing for me.

If this because they're lazy or geniuses is really unimportant to me. These movies intrigue me and keep my interest, that is what's important to me.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2003
  7. R. I. P.

R. I. P. New Member

I'll be short and sweet with my analogy. The first thing I look for in a movie is atmosphere. Euro Horror movies have it all over American made films in this regard. And, it's not just horror films. Take the Spaghetti Western for instance. You talk about atmosphere! The "Dollars" trilogy, Django, Once Upon A Time In The West, Day Of Anger,.............I could go on forever.
    I don't know! Maybe, it's just me, but I conclude that Euro Horror films and Euro Westerns seem to have that special ingredient that American films lack for the most part; an ingredient that is absolutely delicious and heavily addicting! ;)

R. I. P. :glasses:

8. Crystal Plumage

You all seem to forget that it all started in America in the thirties.Influenced by German expressionism,inspired by Gothic novels.
    Universal was the first,with filmmakers like Tod Browning,James Whale,Karl Freund and Edgar Ulmer.In those days the standard was set for all horror to come.
    Actors like Bela Lugosi,Lon Chaney and Boris Karloff created the kind of monsters we all learned to love.
    It was until after WW2 that the British Hammer Studios started with their moviemaking after producing radiodramas in the thirties.
    And then the Italians came............................

Ps:Ofcourse this is just a small part of horrorcinema history,but the bottomline is that the Americans started the Atmosphere thing with their low budgets.The Europeans had even lower or no budgets.Perhaps that gives European Film its charm??

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--You all seem to forget that it all started in America in the thirties.Influenced by German expressionism,inspired by Gothic novels.
    Universal was the first,with filmmakers like Tod Browning,James Whale,Karl Freund and Edgar Ulmer.In those days the standard was set for all horror to come.
    Actors like Bela Lugosi,Lon Chaney and Boris Karloff created the kind of monsters we all learned to love.
    It was until after WW2 that the British Hammer Studios started with their moviemaking after producing radiodramas in the thirties.
    And then the Italians came............................ --

Sorry - I think you're a bit off here. There are NO American films that I am aware of that do Hammer, the way Hammer does, or out Fulci's Fulci. Let's face it - those crazy Italians would wait for the US to do something, and then plagiarize the crap out of it - but in the most wacky way possible. There is a connection between the US film and some of the Euro ones, but the end results vary a lot. Not to mention, the Universal films didn't start it - Lugosi first played Dracula on the stage, for instance - they were stage plays before films. Frankenstein did not start with Universal (Edison/Golem) etc. It goes on.

Of course, it depends on what era of films we're talking about - and "euro" is a very small term to describe the sensibilities all ALL Europe. Italian films are just not like English films, which are not like Danish films.

The old Universal films are excellent (huge fan here) - but they're just not the same (definitely closer, but no cheese) than the movies mentioned in this thread.

I think the main point being made is - even if the US was "first" - they can't do it now. Horror in the US today is in sad shape, imho.

10. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Err...no. The Germans started it. Fritz Lang's Dr. Mabuze (and its sequels) is one good example. Silent movies didn't stopped with Caligari and Nosferatu (which are both two excellent horror films and since they were made in Germany I'll call them Euro-Horror). And let's not forget Dreyer's Wampyr - this is THE "atmosphere-thing" movie. The Americans did with those films what the italians did with spaghetti western. They didn't "started" something, they walked along the same path but they went even further, discovering some new possibilities of the medium.

As far as giallo is concerned, this is not a case of spaghetti westerns where the italians only had the american films as a model. GIallo is a "mystery" genre - there is the french "noir" (which started in France of course and then the Americans influenced by it made some great films - mainly filmed by european directors like Fritz Lang), the Mabuze films or the Agatha Christie style. Giallo is a mixture of all those things and many more.

11. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Didn't the French start horror on film with "Le Manoir du Diable"?

12. The Chaostar

Well, fantasy on film started in France for sure (the films of Melies), but for me, TRUE horror has it's origins in German cinema.

13. creamstick

creamstick Guest

Most Euro-horror (especially the obvious Argento/Fulci/Bava), is more about the tone of the piece than any sort of narrative. For the best examples of what I mean, see Suspiria, The Beyond, and Kubrick's The Shining.

14. Jeffrey Dahmer

Jeffrey Dahmer New Member

American movies are mostly horrible. There is nothing much to be seen that interest me what so ever. All this non-sense about style, when the style is the substance. The container is not empty, it's filled with poetry. Don't seek if you've already been blindfolded. The horror genre come from all around the world, I love horror movies and I don't categorise them by country or continent, I go by directors. I find one I like, I'll try to see everything he made... and if it get boring, I see for another director to check out.

There is just not many Dario Argento and David Cronenberg on this planet, thank them for doing what they do. The only persons outside those two that still strive hard to keep a great dignity to the genre are quite rare (well, they are mostly from Japan nowaday). The horror genre is being plebeianized, but some still keep their heads up high and make brilliant, taught provoking, even philosophical movies. I forgot to mention Soavi, great director, not enough recognition.

15. The Chaostar

I can only agree....

16. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yep, Euro Horror has become my life and passion. Most of my friends don't know what it is, but I still find it undeniably interesting. I have around 100 Euro flicks, and have yet to find one I truly dislike. I can find enjoyment in just about all of them.

17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The only Eurohorror flick i was actually able to get my friends to sit through the whole thing was Demons, and they still picked that to pieces. I tried Suspiria, but they weren't interested because "the blood looks like kool aid." Ah whatever, as long as I like em I'm happy.

18. Crystal Plumage

19. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

dude ur 18,... u r new to euro horror ..............

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006