Whats the most under rated or over rated horror move

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by steve_p, Apr 22, 2003.

1. steve_p

steve_p New Member

I think that the Scream is over rated because all it is is recycled crap after the first movie they came out with more and more of the same crap I know what you did las summer what is this crap how long do we have to wait for some director to have the balls to give horror fans what the want some good old fashion bash your brains spill your guts horror not some recycled crap made for some church group to watch.

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Scream is alright because I think it is very original. I did get sick of them over time, though.

To me, the underrated movie is Zombie... well, at least it is underrated among the mainstream. The most over rated in my opinion would have to be Deliverance. Horrible movie!! :bs:

3. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    most over rated - The Ring (USA Version)

most under rated - Redneck Zombies

4. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

Overrated - The Exorcist

Underrated - Run-on sentences. Gotta love 'em.

5. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Overated - "The Others", and "Signs" are the first ones i can think of and both are equally overated.

Underated - Hell of the Living Dead

I liked Deliverance a lot back when I seen it, I haven't watched it in years though.

6. John

John Guest

:lol:

Overrated - Blair Witch Project (Though I am still a fan)

Underrated - Devil's Backbone, Carnival of Souls (1962)

7. Wolf Man

Wolf Man Guest

Now we all know what it's like to be Ginger in Ginger Snaps: sixteen years without a period.

I guess I have to agree with Blair Witch as overrated, even though I liked it. It definitely does not hold up upon repeat viewing. As for most underrated, I'm drawing a blank right now.

8. TheShape

TheShape Member

Most overrated:

The Exorcist:

It's a good movie no doubt about it. But it's not the frightfest it's supposed to be.

Most underrated:

Nightbreed:

Ambitious movie that delivers the goods. Clive Barker was very disapointed by the movie's lack of commercial success.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2003
  9. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I still think The Exorcist is creepy. If you just sit there and not get into the movie, then sure it's easy not to think it's freaky.

10. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Overrated: Exorcist & Ring (US remake). Don't get me wrong though, i love the Exorcist and think it's great (i also like the US ring, but it pales in comparison to the original) but it's definately overrated..

Underrated: the Spiral (aka Rasen), Zombi 3, Strangeland, Inferno, Hellraiser 5 & 6

11. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Most underrated: Strangulation. Sure there's no blood, but my god what a way to go.

Most overrated: Shooting. Once you've seen one bullet squib pop, you've seen them all.

.........oh wait, you meant movie .......:banana:

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol: SaviniFan, that was great!

If anything, its underrated! Sure, the film had loads of hype (all of which it lived up to for me), but now the majority of people seem to hate it. At least I see it for the masterpiece it truly is.

Anyhow, most overrated is probably BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, which I really hate.

Most underrated... well, there are several, such as DEAD AND BURIED, THE SENTINEL, THE INITIATION, THE FUNHOUSE, LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH, PRINCE OF DARKNESS, DEALY BLESSING, THE SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW, among others. The above films are all some of my favorites of all time, and are truly underrated as can be.

13. John

John Guest

I agree with you. I love the film as well. It is still overrated though. It was overhyped and uses a gimmick to get your attention. Anyone who knows the 'truth' about BWP before watching it will most likely be let down. I have numerous friends who feel that way. I still enjoy it though. I knew NOTHING about the film and saw it 2 weeks before its wide release. For me it was a great film. I just think that word of mouth and the internet has hurt the movie more than it has helped it. Thus making it overrated.

14. BWP . . . a masterpiece . . . are you kidding?
    A masterpiece of crass plagiarism, theft & hype maybe!

15. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Did I put any smilies after my post? No, so I don't think I'm kidding, now am I? :rolleyes:

Think what you want, but the film is outstanding in my eyes, and nothing anyone says will ever get me to think otherwise.

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Overrated: Inferno (I like this flick but I still think it's overrated, IMO)
    Underrated: The Mothman Prophecies

17. Wolf Man

Wolf Man Guest

I've heard people say this before, but I'm not aware of what it plagiarized from (although I certainly agree on the hype part).

18. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I hated Blair Witch Project! God, please don't make me sit through it again!!!! :cry:

:lol: I think it stole from Cannibal Holocaust. I have never seen it, but I know enough about the plot to realize that it influenced Blair Witch way too much. If you don't know what it is about, it has a similar plot... something about travelers who videotaped themselves when they came across cannibals... or something like that. Their footage was found, and there you have it.

I agree that Deadly Blessing is way too underrated.. I love that film and think it is one of Wes Craven's best (and scariest)!

19. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

BWP has got to be one of the most overrated films ever. What a piece of crap. Sitting in the theater listening to that women scream for an hour. If that was real life, the guys would of put a sock in her mouth and capped her overweight ass. I also think Versus is a bit overrated as well as every Star Wars film.

Underrated: American Psycho, Big Wednesday, Children Shoudn't Play With Dead Things, The Elephant Man...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2003
  20. The obvious, and unacknowledged references to Cannibal Holocaust are there all right, and also many to The Last Broadcast too.
    I'm not trying to spoil anyone else's enjoyment of the movie - it's just my opinion, and not to be taken as a personal attack on anything anybody else may value.

Have to agree with DeadDevilMan about StarWars though - I just don't get it!