Whats the most under rated or over rated horror move

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by steve_p, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

Overrated: The Beyond and 28 Days Later
    Underrated: Frailty

2. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Great thread!!:cool:

Lots of stuff covered so far, but here's what I think:

OVERRATED: I agree with those who say M. Night Shyamalan...although I though Unbreakable was decent. The other two I can't stand, and he as a director, I despise.

some of the following are ovverated not so much in general, but on these and other forums.

also OVERRATED: The Others Halloween III: Season of the Witch , Day of the Dead, Prince of Darkness , Below, The Blair Witch Project, Dr. Giggles.

Here's a pile of underrated stuff...couldn't pick just one.

OVERLOOKED: John Carpenter's Christine Amazing movie!! One of the coolest King adapts IMO. Demons an inspired little treat. Dagon It's brilliant! Anguish I love this film. Tenebrae and Sleepless...I'm not sure which Argento I love more. The Dentist and Society Brian Yuzna rules! Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning I agree with those who think this was a good rebirth for the series. Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 I don't even own the original. Nightmare City Cheesy but it works damn well. When a Stranger Calls Back That first scene is what it''s all about...and you get to see Jill Schoelen, bonus! From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money and From Dusk Till Dawn 3: The Hangman's Daughter Fun for what they are...solid entertainment with great pacing. Fascination Jean Rollin mind warp worth checking out. Creepshow 2 Some great stories, especially "The Raft". Maximum Overdrive I love this flick! It just kicks fucking ass all over the place and its a great party movie. Razor Blade Smile Decent vampire quickie, has some cool surprises. Body Snatchers Abel Ferrara remake is the most cerebral version yet. :evil: :glasses:

3. Over-rated - Threads about people's favorite or least favorite movie!!!

Under-rated - white underwear, breasts etc!

4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Underrated (by mainstream standards): Day of the Dead-- I agree with the person (sorry, can't remember who) who said this was a beautiful horror film, it really is striking, and I can't praise Joe Pilato enough! ;)

Overrated: Blair Witch Project-- can't remember if I mentioned it before, but what the hell, I despise this film. ;)

5. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Over rated: Halloween :nervous: (I like it and have respect for it but I just feel it is way too over rated)

Under rated: The Funhouse and Don't Go in the House:nervous:

6. steve_p

steve_p New Member

I would have to disagree with Halloween being over rated.

7. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

:banana: :banana:

8. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Halloween is good but I also agree about the overrated part. Really though, there is nothing wrong with the movie, it's just not the greatest slasher ever made.

9. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

I will agree with HALLOWEEN, even though I still greatly enjoy it.

Underrated- HELL NIGHT

10. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

OVERRATED- SLEEPAWAY CAMP on just about every level.

11. Y'all can kiss m' pee pee, re. Hallowen!

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Erm, I dunno about OVERrated... I guess it is among the large cult following, the way they think it is the best movie ever made, but it's not overrated among the mainstream, I don't think.

13. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

Underrated-EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC

Come on, great plot, some creepy scenes (with a creepier Regan) and one bitchin soundtrack!

14. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

Its that cult following that I was referring to. I honestly have not heard anything about this movie outside of this following. Maybe that says a lot. I don't know. I've never been able to take much of this movie. I'm to this day not sure what the merits are of this movie. I won't begrudge anyone for loving it, though.

;)

15. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

Just because it's overrated, doesn't make it an all too bad flick, correct? I feel that Sleepaway Camp is way overrated but I enjoy them. Each movie gives you something (even if it's a headache) and it's about how much it gives that entails it to be over or underrated.

16. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I'm sorry, but I have to say (once again) that this movie sucks majorly. But then again, you like every movie you see. :rolleyes: ;)

17. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

I made a thread called "DVD Letdowns" check it out. Maybe you'll see why the EXORCIST II was a letdown for so many.

18. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

Most overrated= The Omen (that movie was butt-ass boring) Day of the Dead (not that I don't like this movie, it's good, but not as good as dawn or night) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Again, I like this movie, a lot actually, but it isn't "piss your pants scary" as I once heard it described) Any steven king movie (the movies always start out good, but the endings are dumb)
    Most Underrated= F13 part 8 (so it isn't at camp crystal lake, you already have seven movies if you want that!) I can't think of any more, but there are more...

19. Overrated: Henry:portrait of serial killer
    Underrated: Friday the 13th part 5
    Rituals
    Texas chainsaw massacre part 2

20. Jeffrey Dahmer

Jeffrey Dahmer New Member

Most Overrated : Every Friday The 13th movies
    Most Underrated : Movies that does not spawn a bunch of useless sequels are underrated.