What's the opinion on the book "Creature Features" by John Stanley?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Wayne Manor, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

He makes loads of typos and most of the time it seems as if he's just read the back of the video box - lots of entries, though.

2. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I like that book. Didn't notice any typos at all. He seems to know his stuff too... a la Joe Bob Briggs. :)

3. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

It is a handy book to have.I use it as a check list.I only wish there were an updated versoin.I contacted John Stanley several months ago as to a new book,He said that the publisher had no more interest.

4. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

That's really too bad. Despite the errors and omissions I found, it's rather handy...

5. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I bought this book on a whim and found it to be a pretty good reference guide. Lots of rare titles and Stanley has a great sense of humour.

6. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

My old copy of "Psychotronic" is all beat to hell by now, speaking of reference books...

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Overall, I love the book. It's essential to own if you're a horror fanatic. A few dislikes though: 1) Stanley doesn't appear to go back and revisit old entries to correct obvious errors when updated editions come out (BLOOD FREAK's description and year of release is completely wrong.) and 2) movies he added in the 2000 edition are far longer than anything from the 96 edition, no matter how mediocre they may be (He devotes 3 times as much space to NEVERENDING STORY III than he does to NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and twice as much as NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD).

8. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

Overall, I like this book but I do have a few problems with it. 1. like Maybrick said, the more recent reviews are way too long and are either pointless or give away too much of the story. 2. I disagree with his opinion on many of the movies. There are many good obscure movies mentioned in this book but personally I still prefer The Psychotronic Encyclopedias and a book called Terror On Tape by James O' Neill. That's a good book and I usually agree with his opinions and tastes but it was published in 1994 so many movies are not included.

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    It's a very good reference guide. I don't totally agree with all his opinions, but there isn't a movie reviewer out there that I totally agree with. All in all I refer to this book a lot. I actually have a copy that's a few years old, and might eventually get a newer one. I am, however, more interested in referring to older films in the book.

10. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

I like John Stanley's Creature Feature Books, I own two of them. I find them to be a good source when I need to research some films, however, he does tend to have some mistakes in his reviews and someof the time his Star Ratings don't match up with his Review for the film, but other then that I enjoy his books. Although, James O'Neil's Terror On Tape book is among my favorites.

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I own this and use it a lot as well. I've owned three copies of this in the past, the last two were beat to hell so I bought a new one. The reviews are easy and fun to read, even if I don't agree with him a lot of the time. Usually he gives movies that I enjoy two stars, even if I think they deserve higher than that, but it's forgiveable because I disagree with a lot of critics.

12. how many editions are there?

I have the second edition from like '88 and I saw a paperback sized one about ten years ago...

13. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

The Berkly Boulevard trade paperback edition is dated August 2000.

14. Maybe I'll check out an updated edition

15. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

a good read but he could write more about a movie than he does.