What's the word on Quatermass/Pit Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Severn, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Severn

Severn Member

2. Funktion

Funktion Member

3. highclassrob

highclassrob Member

Region B locked? Why? Its not like anchor bay is ever going to rerelease it. damn it.

4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Now the question is does the DVD included in the pack contain all the bonus features? Because if it does, I'd buy it just for those.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I would assume that the reason behind that is that somebody is planning upon releasing it. Anchor Bay has given up on cult movies in case anybody has failed to notice. They're too "good" for them now, so you're better off looking towards either Blue Underground or Synapse. Those are the two that are most likely to re-release the old AB Hammer films on blu-ray.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I believe Blue Underground has the AB released Quatermasses and Lustig has flat out stated that he has no intention of re-releasing any of the Hammers due to lack of sales.

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That's just great. What a shame. So many Hammer films would look so great on Blu-ray.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

really? wtf? yet something like Maniac is a real commercial powerhouse? oh wait, i forgot...that's his baby, so it gets the special treatment. if he's not going to do anything with them, he should license them out to some other company. or just make it a limited release.

9. Severn

Severn Member

Wow that's disheartening.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

To be fair, Anchor Bay released those Hammer films while DVD was still in it's infancy and many people still hadn't made the crossover. (The first gen of AB Hammers weren't even mastered with DVD in mind either, just laserdisc). It's pretty much the exact same story today with blu-ray and maybe when most of us have switched to HD he'll have a change of heart. I can see why he'd want to skip over lesser titles like Viking Queen and A Challenge For Robin Hood (at the time he was contractually obligated to release those to do the others), but getting the true Hammer classics like Dracula, Prince of Darkness, The Reptile, and Quatermass and the Pit on blu seems like a no-brainer. They will sell. Lustig just needs to time their release better this time around.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I agree. It may be more of a case of "didn't sell enough" which is code for him paying too much upfront to license them. That was also a common problem in the early DVD days. They may have moved more Hammer DVDs than any other BU licensed title, but if they paid too much for that license it may have still been a wash.

Look at something like Suspira, which was "limited" to 30,000 copies just in special editions. They printed up even more standard editions as well. Those took nearly a decade to work through I believe. They probably did the original math that 30,000+ would be profitable. If they were doing that kind of math with the Hammers, I can see why Lustig would be disappointed.

The reason why something like Maniac or Uncle Sam can be on Blu-ray is that there is no middle man. Lustig sees profits once production costs are cleared. With the Hammers that's not the case.

We'll have to see what Synapse's next move is after their Hammers are all released. If they license more, it means they're making enough green to go for more. If they don't, then they clearly aren't. They may have plucked some low hanging fruit on that one too, although it's hard to imagine with them being coveted for so long.

12. Funktion

Funktion Member

One more review:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Quatermass-and-the-Pit-Blu-ray/24446/#Review

I think this quote tells it all:
    «Having recently undergone a full digital restoration, Quatermass and the Pit looks mighty impressive. In fact, I would argue that it is as impressive as many of the best restorations we have seen via the Criterion Collection in Region-A land».

13. Severn

Severn Member

Got an email from Amazon.uk saying its delayed.

14. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I pre-ordered this because of the very promising review but now that I have the disc I can say that it looks even better than expected after a quick sampling of the disc!