What's your favorite Sam Raimi non-horror movie?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by MorallySound, Feb 14, 2006.

?

What is your favorite Sam Raimi non-horror film?

1. Crimewave (1985)

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. The Quick and the Dead (1995)

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. A Simple Plan (1998)

18 vote(s)
    32.7%
  4. For The Love of the Game (1999)

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Spider-Man (2002)

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Spider-Man 2 (2004)

17 vote(s)
    30.9%
  7. I don't like any of his non-horror flicks.

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Crimewave for me. I LOVE that underrated little gem!

2. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Out of all of these, I find myself liking THE QUICK AND THE DEAD the best. I've never thought the SPIDERMAN series quite lived up to its potential, and I actually thought the second film wasn't as good as the first, other than Alfred Molina's performance as Doc Ock.

3. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

that was easy: a simple plan

4. sacateca

sacateca Guest

Must say i don't like his non-horror movies...in all, i don't think he's that great a director, though i like the Evil Dead series. Plus i don't understand at all why he would make some of the movies he has. But i guess money talks.

5. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I have Crimewave on VHS, Quick and the Dead and Spider-Man 1 and 2 on DVD, but I went with Spider-Man 2. May 2007 is when SM 3 comes out. I am, however, wanting Sam Raimi to make Evil Dead 4. Now is the time to make it, please.

6. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I went with the Quick and the Dead, a guilty pleasure of mine, plus the only non-horror titles of his I've seen on that list aside from the Spiderman films

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Quick and the Dead. A movie I love and is one of my favourite flicks, definitely the best Raimi flick. I actually like it better than Evil Dead. Wow!

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It's true. I don't think he's made a good movie since A Simple Plan. I know a lot of people like the Spider-man movies, but I couldn't stand them at all.

9. I'll go with Crimewave

10. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I'm with you on the Spider-Man films. I hated both, and certainly won't see another entry in the series until Raimi is no longer behind the camera, if such an entry is ever made. On the other hand, I love The Gift. It's up there with the better dramas of the last several years, and Keanu Reeves actually gives a good performance, haha.

I like Quick and the Dead, but
    Gene Hackman's ridiculous demise
    is a major flaw.

11. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I did like the see through the whole effect though.
    ;)

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Also, come on. Keanu is god awful painful to watch in The Gift. It is just cruelly bad acting on his part. Actually, a lot of actors didn't really step up in that movie, with him just being the worst of the lot as usual. I think that's why I don't particularly care for that movie, most of the actors just didn't do anything for me so it is very hard to care about the drama at all. Also, I am not invested in seeing Katie Holmes naked.

I do expect Sam to be fired from the Spider-Man movies any day now. I mean, they have done so poorly and everyone apparently hates them.

13. Noto

Noto Guest

I can't wait. It will finally free up his time to make Police Academy 8 and 9.

14. Luna

Luna Guest

Y'know, I'm not too much for superhero movies but I really enjoyed Spider-Man. I haven't seen the second one yet though, so I'm afraid I can't vote for it here. :D

15. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I feel that Reeves did a good job in The Gift, simple as that. Everyone's welcome to their opinions, but I'm not going to change mine. As far as Holmes is concerned, I've never liked her at all, so I could care less about her nude scene.

Raimi's obviously not going to be fired from the Spider-Man films, but they are a big cash cow for Sony, and they may want to make more films than Raimi is willing to do. Maybe not, but that's why I said if such an entry is ever made. As far as bad acting goes, I think the Spider-Man films have those bases covered with Dunst.

16. onebyone

onebyone Guest

OH NO YOU DIDN'T INSULT DUNST! Oh wait, I don't care. Here's hoping Sam won't have her cluttering up the mix in his upcoming Police Academy 8 and 9.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2006
  17. Went with Spider-Man 2 yet I felt Spider-Man 1 and 2 should have been a combined vote...it's really just one movie.

18. rhett

rhett Administrator

I am an avid baseball fan, and Costner is the man, so I went with FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME. Raimi's directing was impressive too, in that he was able to inject his own style without taking away from the typically straightforward style that such a romantic narrative requires. I haven't yet seen A SIMPLE PLAN, but it has honestly not interested me all that much. As for the SPIDEY flicks, the second was a huge improvement over the first, but to me the series is only average at best. THE GIFT had such a lame twist, but it had a great gothic style, very strong cast and, well, Joey's Potters. I'll give Cujo some props too, I thought Keanu actually did quite a good job with his part, proving that he can play more than just pretty boy FBI agents, surfers or potheads. He wears the scruffy beard like nobody's business.

Outside of the EVIL DEAD films, I think Raimi has proven himself a good director for hire, but not one with a vision unique or artistic enough to eclipse the type of mainstream fare he is drawn too.

19. Chad

Chad Member

A Simple Plan. Spiderman 2 comes in a close second.

20. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Voted for the first Spider-Man. I really enjoyed that film.