When did Halloween mania start?

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, May 5, 2017.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Halloween II will always be one of my favorite movie experiences. I saw the film on Saturday night, the 2nd night of release. First time I've ever been to a really large theater filled to capacity for a horror film (they were usually put in the smaller screens at our local 'plex). I had just seen HALLOWEEN the night before...and, I hate to say, it had little impact on me. The fact that it was on regular tv, missing half the picture and *possibly* missing all the effects (the paperback novel spoiled the story for me and it had some gory bits. I read that book over and over months before) probably had a lot to do with it.
    However, it was really cool seeing the 2nd movie the night after the first movie. The look of HII was awesome. We had to sit in the back of the theater. Not since Hell Night, have people screamed so much in a movie. It was great. I left that movie a bundle of nerves. Good times.

Kim Bruun and Natas like this.
  2. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I always enjoy hearing stories like this. Unfortunately I was still swimming in nuts-ville around the time of Halloween 2s release. I did get a chance to see the original Halloween on the big screen about 6-7 years ago, and I'd love to catch part 2 sometime possibly at the Alamo.......although I'm sure it won't compare to your experience back in 81.

3. Natas

And to put my 2 cents in on the original question at hand. I think the "mania" started around the same time as the other franchise horror villains...... I can't put a specific year to it, but as soon as the studios realized they could make serious bank on these characters outside of the box office........that's pretty much it. When they finally understood the cult following Michael, Freddy, Jason etc actually had.......they started plastering their mug on every conceivable thing you can possibly consume........and boom, there you go.

I think they all fed off each other. Especially Freddy and Jason. But for most hardcore horror fans, we like them all right? Chucky, Pinhead, Myers...... we dig. Sure, we all have our favorites and favorite movie preferences between them, but we as horror hounds eat that shit up with a fork as well as our wallets.

4. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

wago, awesome story.. I too loved Halloween II, heres my little experience,, like wago, seen Halloween on its Television debut , and loved it, first horror slasher I ever seen so even though it was on tv it still shocked me, so they showed the tv spot for Halloween II that night and acourse, I wanted to see it. problem was I was only 9. So that weekend my dad took me and my friend to see raiders of the lost ark which was still playing, and H2 was in one of the 4 theaters, so I got up and told my dad I had to go to the bathroom, and he let me by myself, so I snuck into the theater showing H2 and no one saw me, the first scene I seen was when Michael was walking towards the hospital, I didn't wanna stay for fear of my dad looking for me so I got out and went back to raiders so then I did it again and this time I seen the scene with bud and Karen in the tub, just the part where she was undressing.. then I split. I knew If I kept watching I would get in trouble. Kinda wished my dad would have took us to see H2 instead, raiders was boring cause I wanted to really see H2. I did however end up seeing it on Cable a year later and loved it.. But right around November of 81, our local drug store had the paperback novel and I got it with my allowance money and loved it.. so by the time I seen it I knew all the stuff that happens... plus the novel had an additional killing that the movie didn't have.. it would have been cool had they would have added that kill.. the one where the shape pops up in the womans trunk and kills her..

5. ronnie21

Heres the theater in Delaware that shown Halloween II in 1981. It closed in the 90's it was in a small strip mall, the mall stayed opened long after theater had close.. this is the one from my story..

[​IMG]

wago70 likes this.
  6. ronnie21

Heres the ad on opening day too!!

[​IMG]

Natas likes this.
  7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I saw Halloween II in 82 or 83 at the drive-in with American Werewolf. I wish I had an interesting story to say about it but I was only 8 or 9. Just don't remember much other than playing on the playground before the movies started and loving the features.

Natas likes this.
  8. ronnie21

wow, what a great double bill, nothing will ever replace seeing these movies as a kid for the first time.. its an experience I will always cherish, just like how people want so bad to re experience star wars again but wishing all these prequel's and new star wars movies will be better or have the same effect as when they were kids. ...... but it never will..

9. wago70

While we are the subject of Halloween II, I just got back from the childhood home after a visit. This is STILL on my old closet door in my old bedroom:
    [​IMG]

10. ronnie21

that's awesome. after all these years... good find wago. I really wish the funhouse had more gore

11. wago70

Same - I read the paperback book (still have it!) before seeing the movie - I love the movie but, oh, what it could have really been...
    After viewing your flickr movie ads pages, I found my old ads (and some new ones). Some great finds. My hometown paper had great ads, BUT we didn't always get the movies - The Prowler, The Prey, Eyes of a Stranger - never came 'round our theatres.
    Why, here's a link to a classic image...
    https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/149089170/

Natas likes this.
  12. Natas

You know, I've always felt the same way about The Funhouse. But I watched it last Halloween season for the first time in yeeeeeeears and my opinion swayed. I think the lack of gore actually works for this film. I love the atmosphere and the overall feel. Not to say an additional graphic decapitation or something like that wouldn't have worked either, I was just surprised how much I enjoyed it again after all these years, and the lack of blood didn't bother me at all, as it once did.