When is it going to get cheaper?

Discussion in 'General' started by landrvr, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

You mean to say "does not contain a cut of the original film", right? The 30th Anniv. Edition contains the hacked version of the film which has scenes cut and newly shot footage added.

------------------
    David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
    Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com

2. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

OK, mutley, I gotcha. Hadn't seen that version.

To Dave, etc., the NOTLD 30th Hackmaster (love that!) edition contains on one disc, two versions of the movie: the Hackmaster version with added footage and new score (and I use the term generously); and the original version with the new score (still being generous). The second disc is a CD of the crappy new muzak (ah, screw it).

3. landrvr

landrvr Guest

i said it 'does' contain a cut of the original film. and it does. as acerimrat points out, it's in addition to the version that i've really come to love.

kidding.

4. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Okay, thanks for the input y'all. Now I'm definitely glad I got the Elite version with the original soundtrack. I think it would have been much better for AB had they left the original soundtrack on as an option. Universal did this with Dracula ('31) with great success. The new Phillip Glass soundtrack is really good, and certainly helps the infamously slow paced movie along, although, as a purist, I prefer the original soundtrack still. Final thought; why would they go through the trouble of putting the original version on as a "bonus" with the new score? Kinda defeats the purpose of including the original version, right? Oh, well. I think they make up for this blunder with their Deep Red release. Just watched that last night, and it sure is sweet!

Oh, and getting back to the original topic - I haven't picked up Image's Derzu Uzala (by A. Kurosawa) 'cause it's $40, bare bones no less! Even online it's still high at $30. I only throw that kind of dough at Criterion!
    ------------------
    "When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
    M. Hyde

[This message has been edited by mutleyhyde (edited 12-29-2000).]

5. Dave

Dave Pimp

Oh...I didn't realize that. Sorry. [​IMG]

I could've sworn it only had that new hacked version...my mistake. When I had it I got rid of it so quick after seeing it, knowing that the Elite DVD was the only version to own.

------------------

6. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

The Elite disc is the only one to WATCH.

The AB disc is a terrific conversation piece. [​IMG]

Hackmaster 2000! I love it!

7. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Well they actuallyl DID blunder with DEEP RED. Look at the end credit. It snt the end crdit that we know and love, they PAUSED it, instead of having David Hemmings play with the blood.

8. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

I was wondering about that ArrowBeach. I think I saw what you're talking about on one of the trailers. They had a clip of a shot with his reflection bobbing about the crimson pool. Like you say, at the end of the dvd, it's just a still shot. I wondered if that footage was only used for the trailer and was originally cut from it's initial theatrical release. I know things like this have happened to other movies. Have you seen a version of Deep Red with the footage intact? This was my first time to watch Deep Red, so I'm no expert on previous editions. I just thought the transfer was really well done, but have no previous experience to do any comparisons.

------------------
    "When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

M. Hyde

9. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

Hasn't AB admitted to screwing this up?

I thought I read somewhere they did it because the credits were in Italian over the moving-blood scene or something, and in trying to get the English ones it was the wrong print? Or something?

Anybody know?

10. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Man, all this talk about Deep Red makes me want to run out and buy the damn DVD! I've never seen it. In your opinion, is it right up there with Suspiria and Phenomena? (Two of my favorite Argento flicks.)

------------------
    "Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

11. Dave

Dave Pimp

I bought Deep Red the day it was released. Believe it or not, I've NEVER seen it. It's been sitting on my shelf, unwatched. [​IMG]

I'm hoping to watch it this weekend.

------------------

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Dave, if you've had this disc for 9 months and haven't watched it ONCE you need to resign your position here.

This is the crowning example of what a properly re-mastered DVD can do for an older film. Not to mention it's one of the high points of the brilliant career of Dario Argento.

seriously, watch the movie. At the very least, you shouldn't admit to owning it for so long without watching it. (Yeah, I know, I have a large backlog of unwatched discs too, but this is Deep Red, man...)

13. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Yo, Mark... Suspiria and Phenomena are very different movies compared to Deep Red. They deal with super-natural elements, whereas Deep Red is strictly a thriller (okay, okay, there is a psychic in it). If you liked Bird with the Crystal Plumage, yet thought that it could have somehow been better, Deep Red would prove you dead right. Check it out bud.

As for the end credits, that totally bites if that is the case. I personally would not mind Italian credits. They could just put English credits after the original credits. Hell, that would even give them an excuse to run some out-takes or some-such while they're rolling. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't at least Tenebre (AB's dvd) open with Italian credits? Not that it means anything.

------------------

M. Hyde

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

First of all, I should mention I wasn't serious about suggesting Dave should resign for not watching Deep Red. Well, not 100% serious. Trust me, man, after you DO watch it, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for not watching it sooner. And guess what? It gets even BETTER the second, third, fourth, etc time....

There is one connection with Deep Red and Phenomena: The whole insect telepathy thing. OK, it only gets about 2 minutes of play in Deep Red, but it's clear Dario wanted to do something along those lines someday.

Also, the comparison to Bird With the Crystal Plumage is well deserved as well. They're both among his strongest narratives, and with similar themes. I've mentioned before, that I like to call those two movies, and then The Stendhal Syndrome, to be the Dario Argento "Art Trilogy". Three great movies there.

Finally, what the hell does this have to do with Flesh For Frankestein?? Well, I'll tell you: Nicoletta Elmi! She's the little girl in both movies, and anyone who's seen Demons knows she grew up quite nicely. A spaghetti horror staple, she is.

15. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

check the DEEP RED LD form Japan, and the edited THRON/EMI VHS tape of it, and you will see a English language credit rolling while David Hemings is playing with the pool of blood,. I thought it wa a nice scene,a nd still cant figure out why they couldnt keep it in.even if the oriignal credit print is damaged, couldnt they re-master the end scene without the credits, then put avideo credit over the moving image? Another blunder (no one is perfect, yet you wish, since this is a classic!)

16. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Flesh For Frankenstein is NOT anamorphic.
    At least , Criterion should have bothered to do that before pricing their disc this much.
    But they didn't...

17. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Anchor Bay did admit that the print they were working with didn't have the moving image at the end. I read it on the recent forum they did recently. It's not a tragedy but it makes the disc only 95% perfect!

Dave, watch that Deep Red DVD! Tonight! I envy you being able to watch that movie for the first time. It's just so fine......

18. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

19. Dave

Dave Pimp

Heh heh...resign? NEVER! [​IMG]

Well, I'm not watching it tonight. I've been working on Blood and Blace Lace. I'll most likely be watching it Monday night.

------------------

20. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

I got Deep Red a little while back and saved it for last among the Argento stuff I bought, so I ended up watching on a "red and green" day - Christmas! [​IMG]

And Mark, I thought Tenebre was awesome - so check it out if you've got the dough.

(By the way, did any of you Gladiator fans get a look at how different David Hemmings looks now? I know it's like 25 years later, but he doesn't even look like the same guy, and I'm not talking about the wig!)