When Martial Arts meets Horror: Silent Rage Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Hellbilly, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

The Kung Fu version of Halloween II.

[​IMG]

This may not be one of Chuck's finest efforts, but its a damn fun 'Slasher'. Plus the villain was creepy :nervous:

Let's hear some Silent Rage love ...

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I haven't seen this in years, but I did buy it last month on the Deep Discount 20% off sale. Still unopened. Probably watch it next week.

Doesn't Chuck fight an entire biker gang in one scene?

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Yeah he does. Roundhouse kicks galore. Chuck must've beaten around 20 bikers :D

4. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

My friend turned me onto this little gem a few years ago. Good stuff.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I may need to open this dvd sooner!

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Excellent film.

I own the original DVD which has the 16x9 widescreen version on it. Sony "silently reissued it" with only the Pan&Scan version, as they've done with other titles.

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Damn! I just bought this last month and didn't realize it was full frame.

Thanks, Sony! :fuck:

Now I'm less excited about opening the dvd...

8. Wait just a second, you're telling me Chuck Norris was in a slasher?!!? Oh, I've gotta see this.

9. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I'm glad I found the 16x9 version at a convention. I had no idea Sony also switched on Silent Rage, though. What a bunch of idiots.

It's definitely worth checking out :)

10. toiletflush

toiletflush New Member

Chuck Rules

Hey all,

I literally just started posting tonight, and I'm stoked that both Seagal and Chuck are getting some attention.

Silent Rage is cool, and I freakin' love that Chuck fights a villain like Jason.

If you want to see a really scummy, and grossly violent, Chuck Norris movie, rent "The Hitman." It's totally cheap, but also hilarious, and old Chuck BLASTS people HARD with his shotgun...I'm talkin' knees getting blown out, etc.

Also, HellBound, which sucks, does have a tight first ten minutes, and tight last ten minutes. That one also has Chuck fighting a Monster, and he beats the shit out of it at the end...worth a rent for the final beat down.

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I remember the first hatchet murder in the film. And of course the last freeze-frame image. And I haven't seen it for, like, ten years.

12. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Oh yeah! Definitely! The opening descent into madness is great, and the last shot is very cool as well. I always think of that final shot when I think back on the film.

I used to write little LJ reviews for double features. Nothing in-depth, just a quick take on my feelings for the films watched.

Snipped from a double feature capsule review of Fists of Fury and Silent Rage:

"....ummm, I lost my train of thought. What were we talking about?

Oh yeah, Silent Rage....

[​IMG]

Silent Rage

Silent Rage takes two usually bad subgenres, the 80's slasher and the Chuck Norris action vehicle, and mashes them together...or tries to. The final result is not a very compelling film, I'll admit.

However, I would be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy this movie on some level. I may not be able to recommend it to you in good conscience, but I have now seen it a handful of times over the years, enjoyed it on a guilty pleasure level, and will probably catch it a few more times on the way to my eventual deathbed.

Plotwise, we have Chuck as a small town sheriff, who has to battle a genetically-supercharged psychopath, who has been brought back from near-fatal shotgun blasts by some mad doctor testing out a new life-saving serum. Damn scientists.

And really, that's pretty much it. Because we are dealing with established genre staples here, we can already place bets on the fact that:

1) The film will have long periods of padding, with just the killer stalking and eventually killing his victims.

2) There will be a fight in a bar, with Chuck taking on an insane number of guys and not even suffering a scratch.

3) Chuck and the killer will eventually meet at the end of the film and settle it with a Chuck-Fu VS Psycho-Fu showdown.

4) Chuck will have a love interest and 1-2 lovemaking scenes. I think this was in his earlier films, like a contract thing. I'm not sure why any director would voluntarily show up to a set to shoot Chuck Norris Sex, so I suspect that there was some pressure before the shoot by Chuck and his agent to secure the "action" ahead of time.

Those are givens, as are some other little points, like the obligatory comic relief sidekick deputy assigned to Norris...and the Voice of Reason good doctor, played by Ron Silver (looking like he lost a bet with his agent), fighting with the evil scientist about "playing God" and stuff.

So, what keeps me coming back? Probably the killer, who is Michael Myers-esqe and sans a mask.....and played with a rather creepy body language by Brian Libby.

Speaking of Halloween influences, the soundtrack is another draw. The music is rather creepy and memorable, even if derivative of John Carpenter's classic.

Finally, there's the Chuck Norris factor. Chuck is not easy to watch when he has to deliver some dialogue. You just want him to get through his lines without making you cringe too much for him. That is all you ask. As long as we can get Chuck to the fight scenes, we will be rewarded with some fine action my friends.

Yeah, I'm still thinking about Maria Yi....

So, anyway, Silent Rage....if you have a high tolerance for Chuck Norris movies and bad 80's slashers, then you should already be in a checkout line with this film in your hand."

13. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

I must have this movie NOW!!:freak:

BTW is this the ONLY film that mixed both horror and martial arts???????

14. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky...watch it like, now ;)

15. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

I saw that a decade ago. That movie not horror at all. It just had a bunch of over the top gore. :eek2:

16. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

It's as horror as say, Peter Jackson's earlier films. People consider those horror, so...

Back to kung-fu/horror films, there's tons of Asian films that fit that bill. Just google around, you're sure to find many.

17. Luna

Luna Guest

18. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

19. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found these two to be pretty fun. The second film is the better of the two. The first one was good as well but had an abrupt ending.

20. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

These 2 films are more comedy orientated then horror. Great Suggestions though!