When the music is better than the actual movie...

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

With (Euro cult in my case) movies, the music is a very important part of the overall experience. Many times the music will lift a mediocre movie a few notches above the rest.
    One of these, to me, is Solamente Nero. The movie (Bido) is an OK Giallo in the Argento vein, but here the music is the real star.
    Stelvio Cipriani/ Goblin do some great things musically..
    When talking about Goblin, people unjustly seem to completely forget this title.
    Listen and enjoy :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uG_c8WC7uU

Don't get me wrong, the movie is still a lot of fun too :)

2. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

I've always loved Wojciech Kilar's score to Coppola's Dracula but never thought the movie was very good.

3. Crystal Plumage

I recently watched the BBC4 documentary about soundtracks called The Sound of Cinema. Makes you listen differently to soundtracks and EFX.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03b51db

Many of today's film scores are interchangeable and. I love it when a score can be listened to solely because of its quality and composition and the hand of the artist can be heard.
    If you listen to Franco Micalizzi's scores, you just can enjoy what the man created. Even if you haven't seen any of those movies (he worked with Umberto Lenzi among many others).

For instance, if you are heavily into BigBand, this will get your foot a tappin' !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfz11Lb524E
    And in the movie it enhances the scene perfectly!
    Here (different arrangement) :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFHpk3jDbLk

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here, but damn is music important (for me anyway) for the whole experience!

So, what are your lesser movies with great music?

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Cannibal Holocaust immediately comes to mind. The movie is pretty much exploitative junk. But Riz Ortolani's score is truly beautiful.

5. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Best movie soundtrack ever THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

6. Crystal Plumage

Exactly! The score is a classic and without it, CH wouldn't be a the cult classic people claim it is.
    The fact that that melancholic theme actually enhances the atrocities onscreen is pure genius!

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The film like this that comes immediately to mind is Barracuda. It's like a H.G. Lewis film scored by John Carpenter. I'd love to own the soundtrack. The film, not so much.

8. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Although I enjoy the film and all it's cheesiness, the 1976 King Kong remake comes to mind. Such an epic score for a flawed film.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

There are a few movies that come to mind in which the music elevates the films into classics. Jacob's Ladder and The Sixth Sense spring to mind. Basic Instinct and the Dark Knight Trilogy also have gorgeous soundtracks.

10. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

For me, Morricone is a great example of this. Some of his most interesting stuff is saddled to some really mediocre to bad films. His score for The Professional is the first one to pop into mind. Also, the scores for Stendahl Syndrome and Revolver are breathtaking. The films, not quite as much.

11. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

This. His theme for Exorcist II is beautiful.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The Thing as well.

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LOL yes but The Thing is actually a good film.

~Matt

14. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Solamente nero is actually one of my top 20 gialli. The music is good, but so is the film.

15. Crystal Plumage

Not in my top 20. It's a nice one thanks to the music.

16. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Just a couple more off the top of my head:

Pirates of the Caribbean - particularly the third one, with heavy motifs "borrowed" from some of Morricone's better know western soundtracks, this is one of Zimmer's better soundtracks. Yeah, it may be a lot of theft, but it's good theft. And Zimmer has been pretty open about the references.
    Parlay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzsqAjJnMdA
    Davy Jones' Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzsqAjJnMdA

Trance - Danny Boyle's ode to shaved genitals wrapped in a heist caper made for a moderately good thriller - but the score by Rick Smith is transcendent beauty - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h-13F769vY

Fountain - Some would say this is Aronofsky's worst film. It's actually one of my favorites. But considering that most don't seem to like it, I'm going to point out that score by Mansell is his most beautiful one to date and even if you can't get into the film, I highly recommend that everyone give "Death is the Road to Awe" a listen with some good loud speakers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHYvVqtnz8Y

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

You just reminded me of Requiem For A Dream's soundtrack. My god is that amazing. I'd also like to add In Bruges's soundtrack. An absolute masterpiece.

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You know, it's odd that I rarely notice the score of a film. Especially since I'm so into music and audio (hell, it's my career). Like, a perfect example of this is For Your Eyes Only, always one of my favorite James Bond films. I've been watching it for years, and loving it. Then I read a comment somewhere about how it's a good movie ruined by a terrible score, so the next time I see it I finally pay attention, and sure enough, that movie DOES have terrible music in it!!

So maybe ignorance is bliss? Or in the spirit of the thread, I can't even see the silver lining of a good score when watching a crap movie.

19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I believe it's been said that if you don't notice the film score, the composer did his/her job. Many of the examples listed on this forum are by those that noticed the score after repeat viewings I'm sure. Next time you watch Basic Instinct, listen to Jerry Goldsmith's score. To me it elevates a B film into an A film.

20. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'll happily take Conti's FYEO score over any of the Craig-era scores. Unlike Barry's work Conti's is dated and a product of its time. But at least it's not atonal noise designed to generate nervousness instead of excitement.

I'd also argue that the scoring of the FYEO gun barrel sequence is outstanding--and among the best of the post-Connery era. It retains some of the disco-era feel Hamlisch brought to The Spy Who Loved Me but ups the intensity with all of that brass at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZCu0YdiK8