When will Jaws be chomping its way to Blu-ray anyone know?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Jan 1, 2009.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

got all 3 Jaws sequels on blu-ray at my indie record/movie store but seen over at blu-ray forums that some walmart stores are carrying em for 9.96 but not all walmart stores though

2. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

If my Wal-Mart has Jaws 2 I'll pick it up.

Not a big fan of 3D and The Revenge so the DVDs will do just fine.

fceurich39 likes this.
  3. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

hows jaws 2 look??

4. fceurich39

haven't watched my copies yet but hear jaws 2 looks really good and 3 the 2d version not so good but 3D is good lol also heard the revenge looks good too

5. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

ok got Jaws 2 today. wish all blu-rays could look this good. excellent transfer...

fceurich39 likes this.
  6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

[​IMG]
    This is being released in the UK in August, so I suspect this will released in other territories.

fceurich39 likes this.
  7. fceurich39

thats cool I kinda wished this would of been released here in the states instead but am happy I got all 3 individually

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

They are releasing them separately in July then the pack in August, so this may get released stateside.

buck135 and fceurich39 like this.
  10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I haven't watched The Revenge in years, but remember it being atrociously poor and a chore to even watch... I really doubt I'd want to own it in a pack even if they did release it here.

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Fuck I really wish I had a 3-D TV for Jaws 3. I love that movie. It's terrible but it's a childhood movie for me.

Given the fact that the 2-D version will never be as clear as the other films in the series, they did a good job with it. Lots of grain and it gets distracting at times but at least they didn't fuck with it in typical Universal fashion.

Jaws 2 also looks fantastic with lots of natural grain. They even cleaned up a lot of speckles and dirt.

Jaws The Revenge has had some DNR applied here and there. But certainly not the worst transfer Universal has ever issued. Strange though, since the other 2 look untouched.

I'm just so happy the sequels are finally available and actually got decent transfers.

~Matt

fceurich39 likes this.
  12. napalm baby

napalm baby Member

I love the individual covers even though the triple set is good. They are classic movie poster designs especially 2 & 3.

13. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I agree, Matt. The 2-D version looks MUCH better than advertised. There are some photographic anomalies due to the 3-D process (the edges of the frame occasionally show minute registration issues--the effect is similar to the sections of the 1943 Phantom of the Opera where the different colors aren't perfectly aligned). But sharpness is awesome overall, and I actually LIKE the heavy grain field. It looks very film-like. I was expecting a technical horror show based on the reviews. It's actually a very nice presentation of a fun, goofy guilty pleasure. I forgot about the hilarious sped-up heroic dolphin scenes. Comedy gold.

Matt89 likes this.
  14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Got the jaws 2, 3 and revenge, 3 disc blu ray pack today for £8.00 what a bargain.

Just about to watch jaws 3D can't wait been looking forward to this for ages.

15. sade

sade Member

I was surprised how crummy part 3 looked comparing to the other 2 (2 & 4). I also consider part 3 to be the worst, just the last scene makes me wanna throw something at the screen.

16. Katatonia

All of those early 80's 3-D films seem to look pretty crummy.

You think Part 3 is worse than Part 4 though?? :eek: Wow, I consider 4 so horrendously terrible that I don't even want to own it in my collection. Even if I could get that one for $1, I'd pass on it.

17. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Jaws 3 is pretty bad but Jaws: The Revenge makes that movie look like a masterpiece.

I ended up buying all the sequels on blu. Mainly for my nieces and nephew who love the franchise.

Katatonia and fceurich39 like this.
  18. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I think 3 looks surprisingly good. Don't forget it was filmed for 3D, with many nighttime and underwater dark scenes. Combine the special cameras and the low-light situations and you wind up with a very grainy image. The grain is extremely well resolved, which makes for a very film-like experience. I'm thrilled that they didn't go nuts with DNR and smooth away all of that texture.

I'm with Katatonia. 3 is a terrible film. But Revenge is on a whole different level. Michael Caine summed it up best. When asked about how awful the film is, he said, "I have never seen it. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific!"

Katatonia likes this.
  19. Katatonia

I think it definitely looks as good as it can on Blu-ray, it's just that these early 80's 3-D films are extremely grainy and don't compare to the quality of the 2-D films of the period. The quality of the 3-D process just wasn't the greatest back then.

It's indeed a good thing that Universal didn't go DNR mad on it like they have in the past. I'd certainly rather have the natural grain than DNR scrubbing the details off. A lot of their Blu-ray transfers are getting better.

20. fceurich39

Back in Walmart stores the 4 jaws films on bluray for 7.88 they are located endcap shark week section