When you upgrade to HD, what do you do with the DVD?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Dave, May 25, 2009.

1. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I typically keep the DVD if I already have it. I've been known to upgrade from standard DVD to special edition DVD to Blu and I will always get rid of the old standard DVD, but keep the special edition. Also, I only have 1 Blu player now, so if I want to watch a movie in a different room of my house, or at my cottage in NH I will need the "old school" DVD :)

If I go from VHS to DVD then I will always unload the VHS. And it has to be a real DVD release - not a boot.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Once I've upgraded, it's goodbye to the DVD. The only exception where I'll keep the DVD is if it's got some special feature I actually care about that the Blu doesn't have (very rare) or my DVD is autographed.

And another question: How does everyone organize their DVDs and Blu-ray discs? Are they separate from each other, or are they mixed in alphabetically?

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I try to only buy Blu Ray releases if they include everything from the previous DVD so I can sell it off. of course there are exceptions such as a Blu Ray release that is missing extras but has it's own exclusive extras. In that case, I will jsut keep both copies. I am pretty anal over extras even if it's just a trailer or a still gallery. I guess if the gallery is just scenes from the movie then it's not a big deal, but I do like the ones that have original posters, advertising, deleted scenes, ect. it bugs me that most Blu Rays don;t bother to carry trailers or Still Galleries over as I hate having multiple copies of a movie on my shelf.

The other thing that sucks as most places will only give you a couple bucks for your used DVDs. Usually like a third of what they sell it for if you are lucky.

As for how I store them, I keep my DVDs and Blu Rays together in alphabetical order. it makes the most sense and I like having all the versions of the movie together for completists sake.

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

My Blu's are separate from the regular DVDs. Both in alphabetical order.

5. Korngold

Korngold New Member

I should mention that not every dvd I have will get upped to blu-ray. Romero's films, Fulci's films, Argento's films, and some of the unholy trilogy may get upgraded, but I don't need all my films on Blu-Ray.

It's like the Godfather trilogy. I have the box set paramount released years ago and I'm happy to see a new cleanup version out there, but it's not really worth it to me to upgrade to blu for it.

6. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Right now, I've got all of my Blu-rays first (because they're superior) and then my DVDs, on multiple (5) storage racks (which each hold about 500 or so movies). They're alphabetical, within each format. But, once I get another rack (ran out of room again), I'm going to move my Blu-rays to the end. I'm not really buying any more DVDs so it'll be easier to add BDs to the collection if they're at the end.

7. CaptHowdy

CaptHowdy Guest

I can't stand having multiple copies of the same DVD. If I kept everything, the Evil Dead trilogy would take up all my shelf space. ;) But seriously, when you have over 1,000+ DVDs, space becomes a serious issue. At this point I am not worried at all about special features and I just want to replace every DVD I have with it's Blu Ray counterpart (when possible). Some obscure stuff like Pieces or Bad Taste may never see the light of day at 1080p so I'll keep those DVDs.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
  8. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I keep my blu-rays seperated from my dvds and I have always organized both my dvds and blus according to genre, like family friendly, indie, horror, comedy, foreign etc

9. Korngold

Korngold New Member

You know I was going through my dvds and it amazes me how many copies of dvds I have. Stuff like the region 2 phantasm sphere set and the mgm phantasm dvd or the candyman dvd and the candyman special edition or TCM 2 dvd and the special edition TCM2 dvd. You know dvds that may have improved transfers, special features, or trailers not on the other dvds. Others are part of dvd sets which I don't want to part with. Such as the dvd phenomena... I have the dvd and the one part of the Dario Argento set.

I think I am going to lot them on Ebay, but I'm like, "Which one do I choose?"

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I've faced decisions like that before and with most films I can honestly say I'll probably never watch the bonus features again after the first time. Now, there are exceptions. I won't sell my Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition until they release something equivalent on blu. I'm not a stickler for things like still galleries, though. They are probably the most boring things to sit through and if you want to see a certain still bad enough, it's usually online somewhere.

11. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Good point Grim. I'm going to have to think about it, because getting rid of stuff is usually harder then buying the stuff in the first place.

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I agree. It's definitely something I sit down and think about first before I sell anything.

13. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

Amen! I wont get rid of my dvds.I have mutiple versions of the same movies.Its for sure a sickness I have or least its not only me. :D

sean

14. CaptHowdy

CaptHowdy Guest

I've been dumping all my DVDs lately...it's been quite liberating. Ha.