Which Argento titles are in your dvd collection ?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Jason25, Dec 29, 2000.

1. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I'm curious to hear which Argento dvd's you own. I have to look over my collection again, but I have all of the region 1 Argento titles that have been released, I just need to count them.

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

Tenebre - Sazuma version
    The Stendhal Syndrome
    Suspiria (Image LD)
    Deep Red
    Inferno

That's all I have...

------------------
    David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
    Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

On Laserdisc:
    Dario Argento's World of Horror (Soavi documentary on gold Synapse disc)
    Dario Argento - Master of Horror (Cozzi documentary, Japanese disc)
    Bird With the Crystal Plumage (Roan)
    Suspiria (Image)
    Tenebrae
    Phenomena
    Two Evil Eyes
    Trauma

On DVD
    Deep Red
    Inferno
    The Stendhal Syndrome
    Phantom of the Opera

4. Santawhore

Santawhore Guest

Tenebre, Inferno, Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Phenomena,Deep Red, and Stendahl Syndrome

5. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Um, Phenomena and Argento's World of Horror.

------------------
    "Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

6. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Got Deep Red for X-mas. Just watched it and I think it's great. It's by far the best structured (plot, editing, pacing, etc.) film of Argento's that I've watched, IMHO. Now I've GOT to find that soundtrack!!
    Other than that I have...
    Bird With the Crystal Plumage (Another great soundtrack, this time by Il Maestro Morricone)
    Phenomena
    Tenebre
    All of these are great in their own way, but I want Suspiria NOW dammit!

------------------
    "When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
    M. Hyde

7. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Suspiria - LD
    On DVD: Phenomena, Inferno, Deep Red, Stendhal Syndrome
    VHS crappy third generation copies from over a decade ago (when it was the only way to view Argento in the UK outside of horror festivals)...Opera and Tenebre. I'm very excited about the AB Opera release and also their re-release of Tenebre (both of which rank amongst my favourite horror movies).

8. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

Phenomena, Tenebre, Inferno, Deep Red on DVD.

Are they re-releasing Tenebre, DVDCon? As what, anamorphic? Or are you talking about the current disc as a re-release of something earlier? (I'm pretty new to this Argento thing...)

9. DVD Connoisseur

AceRimRat, I read in the on-line discussion that Anchor Bay had recently that Tenebre was going to be re-released. It's going to be anamorphic and, I believe, better picture quality in general. I've not heard anything since, though, but I am saving my pennies for this one. I think Phenomena may also be re-released but don't quote me on that as I may be getting my wires crossed!

10. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

Hey, that sounds cool. As long as the good extras (like the commentaries) are still on Tenebre and/or Phenomena, I'd buy a new copy if the pic quality is markedly better.

11. Dave

Dave Pimp

I was on Sazuma's site and noticed their version of 'Tenebre' is no longer listed. Have they lost the rights to it? Wonder if it'll be a collectible...I believe it has some stuff that isn't on Anchor Bay's DVD.

------------------
    David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
    Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com

12. I was in the home theater forum chat and Anchor Bay said they were re-releasing some titles with a new anamorphic transfer and Tenebre MAY be one of the first they re-release. Hopefully they'll re-release Phenomena FULLY uncut, it's my favorite film. It would be even nicer if Anchor Bay re-released all of the previous Argento DVDs as Special Editions/LE Tins. Opera and Suspiria are already scheduled for the tin treatment, they should complete the collection.

13. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I agree. I'd like to see both Argento and Fulci get tin treatment for all of their films.

14. ctyner

ctyner Member

Just "Phenomena". I've been meaning to get more, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also have "Demons", but that doesn't really count. [​IMG]

------------------
    My DVD list | bigwolfoncampus.org

15. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

What is missing from Phenomena? It was my first Argento purchase, but I honestly don't know much about it that can't be gleaned from the film...

16. DVD Connoisseur

Dragon are releasing a special edition of Phenomena at the end of this month (although I trust nobody's arrival dates, thesedays). I believe it is going to be a 2 disc set. The company is stating it is "the full uncut Italian print version" which is making me think that the AB release isn't complete. If anyone can confirm any of the above, I'd appreciate it.

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The current release of Phenomena is missing a few minutes I believe. I think it's a conversation on the bus with Jennifer Connelly. The complete uncut version is available on Japanese laserdisc.

One thing to remember about the early Anchor Bay releases is, they're not really Anchor Bay releases! The Roan Group of North Carolina did a bunch of horror movies for laserdisc, then Anchor Bay did direct ports of those LDs for DVD. Among those Roan ports are:
    Demons
    Demons 2
    Tenebrae
    Phenomena
    Alice Sweet Alice
    Nosferatu
    Zombie

They also redid some Elite LDs like
    Day of the Dead
    Dracula - Prince of Darkness

None of these DVDs are of the current Anchor Bay quality. I believe none of them are anamorphic, and on several the LDs either have more features or look better than the DVD.

So don't blame AB for incomplete versions of some of these movies, blame Cary Roan...

18. DVD Connoisseur

If AB do a new version of Phenomena, I'll very probably purchase it. Phenomena is the only disc (apart from T-2) in my collection that I've had player incompatibility problems with (as per my very first post, many moons ago). The disc plays perfectly on my PC DVD but freezes on my Tosh. It's nothing too serious but I've been after an excuse to replace this disc for a while. I'm interested in the Dragon edition - I may purchase this for the extras alone!

19. All of the Phenomena discs freeze during the layer change depending upon your player. Phenomena is fully uncut on the Japanese Integral Hard DVD and Laserdisc but they don't have english, they're expensive, and they're not region free. The AB print is missing 5 minutes but it's the italian version so I guess it can be considered uncut since it's the only 110 minute version in the US. If you have anymore details on the Dragon release please let me know.

20. DVD Connoisseur

Argento Fan 2003, thanks for letting me know about the freezing being pretty common on this disc - last time I posted I thought I was the only man in the world experiencing this! Even Anchor Bay said it was just an incompatibility problem with my player! It just happens around the scene in the lecture hall and stutters/freezes again in the scene where a light is shining outside the window. Is this the layer change and why do I experience problems in 2 areas very close to one another (say, 10 seconds apart)? I'd previously dismissed it as a poorly coded disc.

I'll keep posting news on the Dragon Phenomena disc as I find out more. (I know that there will be an exclusive Argento interview on the disc but I haven't a clue what the rest of the package will comprise of.)