Which Argento titles should I pick up?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Spacevis, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum, but I hope someone will be able to help me...

I'd like to get more into Dario Argento's stuff. I started with watching his more recent films... which wasn't a very smart move :glasses: , but I'd like to get my hands on some of his earlier works, so I was wondering which Argento titles you guys recommend me to pick up. I already have The Stendhal Syndrome, and I have seen Trauma and Phantom of the Opera. I also recently bought Suspiria and the Door into Darkness series (still have to watch them though, haven't had much time).

Cheers!

2. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Out of the ones you don't have, and that are available, the ones you most need are Tenebre, Phenomena, Cat O'Nine Tails, Opera, and Inferno. I would get those before any of the others.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Let me guess what everyone will say ;)

Erm, OPERA. Get that one. Inferno, it's the "sequel" to Suspiria but in many ways, I prefer it. Oh, and some will say Phenomena, but they're wrong. ....

Hm, maybe people will say - "Everything before Trauma."

You not got "Sleepless" yet? Great flick.

What aspect of his work do you admire or enjoy the most? That might help us give more specifics.

4. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Phenomena is my favorite so I'd say get that one next. Still haven't seen some of the others.

5. Spacevis

What aspects do I like most... hmmmmm that cheesy Euro-feel most of his films have.... and of course the visual style.

Oh, and I already have Phenomena (forgot to mention that one), which I really liked, so maybe some films along that line.

Thanks for the tips I've gotten' this far!

Cheers

6. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Get DEEP RED! :evil:

7. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Great that you bought Door into Darkness.Very nice discs.If you like it,the next step would be The Bird With The Crystal Plumage.Also you could buy Sleepless,it's very cheap (10 Euro)on the Dutch Film Works label.I think it's also available in Belgium (but it's a barebones release,and the Italian disc is better...).After that I would recommend getting Tenebre and Deep Red.But.... you could also wait awhile since Blue Underground is planning re-releases in the (near???) future.

Welkom bij het forum/Bienvenu sur le forum!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, then, I'll say it: Everything other than Phantom of the Opera and Trauma

I won't say the "everything before Trauma", because I think Stendhal is one of his best films, and that's saying a lot. Sleepless is definitely worthy too, despite the pan-and-scan crap put out by Artisan. Go overseas for that one.

Other than Trauma and Phantom, if it says "Directed by Dario Argento", just buy it.

9. Spacevis

The DFW releases are available in Belgium. They've also released Deep Red and Cat O' Nine Tails, but they're alle barebones releases and I prefer to cough up a little more dough for some good extra's. Where can I get the Italian Disc?

OK, let's say I don't have the patience, which releases of those two do you recommend? :D

Bedankt/Merci :cool:

10. Evil Beeker

Evil Beeker Guest

New Argento
    I haven't seen it but can anybody recommend "the Card Player" coming from anchorbay?

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Since it's not out yet, I'd wait to buy it :D

Here are my thoughts on the Card Player: Reviews for new Argento

I wasn't aware Anchor Bay had already announced it, actually.

12. Atmims

Atmims Guest

"OK, let's say I don't have the patience, which releases of those two do you recommend?"

I recommend both, Deep Red and Tenebre are my two favorite Argento movies. Go with Tenebre first since it's generally considered Argento's best.

13. Crystal Plumage

Well I guess you get the picture :
    Most of the people here say Deep Red and Tenebre.
    You can get the Italian version here:
    http://www.absurd-online.dk/shop/
    Check here for a review of the disc:
    http://www.darkdreams.org/nonhosonno_dvd_it.html

I don't know if you're regionfree?
    If you're stuck to region 2 then Absurd-online also has Tenebre and the better Stendahl.

14. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Deep Red
    Tenebre
    Inferno
    Opera
    Phenomena
    Sleepless

15. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

I would say "all of them." But if I had to narrow it down:Suspiria, Tenebre, Inferno,Phenomena.

16. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Can anyone tell me how gory Inferno is? I found it available on the CE AB VHS cheap enough, and am considering picking it up.

17. Crystal Plumage

Inferno is more about style than Gore.There is some gore,but not as much as in Suspiria or Tenebre.
    Still I'd say buy it.Visually it's one of Argento's best (with a little help from his friend Mario Bava)

18. Andrew

Andrew Guest

INFERNO is gory in a few moments, but as said above, not as bloody as TENEBRE, SUSPIRIA, or DEEP RED. I'm not sure if INFERNO would be the best place to start with his films either, since it takes a little getting used to (for me, at least).

19. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I own Opera and Suspiria on DVD, and am not a huge fan of either. I also have The Church and Demons 1/2. But, the price is right for Inferno, so I may as well take a chance.

20. Joel Groce

Joel Groce Guest

Trauma maligned

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really liked "Trauma" - I know it has a more "American" feel - but please see this one. My favorites are prob. "Deep Red", "Bird...", "Tenebre" and "Trauma" - the supernatural thrillers don't hold as strong an appeal for me, though I liked them as well.