Which "Cartaio" DVD Will You Be Buying?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

These are the versions I could find (perhaps I missed one?)
    If you haven't bought (or seen) this,which one will you be getting?
    Regarding you WANT to see the movie ofcourse ;)
    I'm thinking about buying the UK Arrow DVD which will be released in October.It seems to be the cheapest option for now.Though AB's,although no info yet,will be a great one I'm sure.

Japan
    Chech
    Italian (no subs!)
    UK (not yet released)
    Dutch (no info,release 26th Oct.)
    American (undated)

2. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

If the upcoming UK release is anamorphic widescreen, that's the one I'm buying.

Almost ordered the Chech release from Xploited last month, but I haven't seen the film and almost everyone who has says something bad about it.

If I like the film and next year Anchor Bay releases superior DVD, I'll sell the UK version.

UK release will be around $20.

"Arrow Films/Fremantle Home Entertainment have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Dario Argento's latest thriller The Card Player for 18th October 2004 priced at £15.99. The latest film from Italy's horror maestro Dario Argento (Sleepless; The Stendhal Syndrome) sees the acclaimed director moving into classic detective thriller territory in what is perhaps his most commercially accessible work to date.

The DVD comes with a behind the scenes featurette, a theatrical trailer and a promo trailer. "

Here's the cover:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I like that cover, and I enjoyed the film. Probably the UK version for me. Anamorphic widescreen though is a must.

4. Luna

Luna Guest

I'll probably be going with the UK version for now, as the Italian one has no subs!

Is it really called "Death Site" in Japan? I suppose I should check the IMDB for that...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2004
  5. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

Japanese DVD frontcover has the English title "The Card Player", not "Death Site".

Attached Files:

6. sinister

sinister Active Member

Yeah, it's absolutely awful. This and Phantom of the opera and the only 2 Argento movies I have no intention of ever watching again. :rolleyes:

Go download it if you can and save yourself 10 bucks on the DVD... seriously, it's that bad, the dialogue in particular is laughable in places and there's less than 5 mins in total from the whole movie that you could describe as having an "Argento look" to them. :(

7. Luna

Luna Guest

It says "Desu Saito" in big red letters on the cover, which translates to "Death Site", which is why I inquired. :p

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'll likely hold out for the Anchor Bay.Fangoria says the film will play theatrically in New York City on Oct.6th,10th and 12th at the TWO BOOTS PIONEER THEATER as part of a horror festival.Tobe Hooper's new TOOLBOX MURDERS and a number of classics will also screen there that month,if anyone lives in the area and wants to see them on a big screen.

9. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I really liked the film. A different pace ans style for Argento but he puls it off with the ease of killing a fly. UK for me.

10. BoredSeal

BoredSeal New Member

I'll wait for Anchor Bay. I liked the movie - any Argento is better than no Argento. :)

11. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I picked up the Japanese DVD, and the widescreen English transfer is fine. Good enough to realize I just watched another Argento disapointment. This is not Argento's worst, but certainly in his bottom 3 fims. Oh well, die hards must see it, and we are as forgiving as possible, but the truth must be told. God help him if he screws up the final Three Mothers film...

12. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me