Which cult DVD label would you be saddest to see go?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Mar 6, 2007.

?

Which cult DVD label would you be saddest to see go?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2007.
  1. Anchor Bay

41 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Blue Underground

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Code Red

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Dark Sky

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. NoShame

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Panik House

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. Severin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Shriek Show

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. Subversive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Synapse

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  11. Troma

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  12. Elite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Image

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

So it appears the DVD market has reached its saturation point, and now the indies are taking the brunt of the glut. With financial concerns prevading over most of the small labels these days, there's a fear that some of them may not be around much longer. If one of these companies were to go, which would you be saddest to bid farewell?

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

SYNAPSE, without question. I'm starting to fall in love with Dark Sky though. It would be a shame if they disappeared almost before they began.

I see Troma on the list. That's one company that I've been hoping beyond hope to see die for ages now, but I'll never be THAT lucky. I absolutely LOATHE them.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  3. Franco

Franco Weekender

Blue Underground

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

What he said.

I would also miss the promise of Panik House if they bit the dust.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2007
  5. maybrick

Also, as far as I'm concerned, Anchor Bay stopped being relevant years ago.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Blue Underground above all. Would really be sad about Dark Sky & No Shame. Have only bought two Severin releases, but highly impressed with their quality! Wouldn't want them or any of the others for that matter to bid farewell.

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Agreed.

8. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Synapse

9. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Blue Underground

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I wouldn't go as far back as "years", but BU have been irrelevant for a long time too. They're so finished, they're doing nothing at all. It's not a matter of "if", it's already done, imo.

I don't want any of the companies to go.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  11. rhett

rhett Administrator

I don't really know why this is the prevading thought from most cult fans these days. Sure, they don't release the must-have product they did years ago, but who does these days, now that most of the big titles have already been re-released ample times? They still offer a larger amount of horror titles than basically any other indie label, and for every shitty DTV movie they release, there is an 80s gem like SUPERSTITION and THE SEDUCTION. Their Masters of Horror discs have been good and consistent, and they still offer up some prime cult box sets, like the recent Wim Wenders volume, and the upcoming Jorodowsky and Bava. Blue Underground has...well, uh, perhaps a website update coming in the future?

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I totally agree. Anchor Bay gets ripped on because they don't put out as much as they used to. That's becasue they arleady released soo much! And they still are putting out a reasonable amount. I think if everyone went through their DVD collections, most of their horror titles would be Anchor Bay titles.

And all I hear about is complaints that they have been reissuing titles. What's wrong with that!? It lets the people who didn't get them the first time (either because they didn't know about it at the time, or didn't have the money) a chance to pick them up at a decent price, instead of buying it off of ebay for ridiculous amounts of money. I'd rather buy it off Anchor Bay for $10 then give some greedy guy $80. Its not like they are trickign you into buying it again. They are just giving people a chance who missed out the first time.

13. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I picked Blue Underground. I'd hate to see Shriek Show go, too.

14. Luna

Luna Guest

Thirded.

15. Spit

Spit Active Member

There was a time when I would have said Anchor Bay. But I have to go with Blue Underground....though I do enjoy a Troma film now an again.

16. maybrick

That's true, but only if you take into account all the DVDs I bought prior to 2004. I can count on one hand how many of their cult titles I've bought since they remastered Dawn of the Dead: Cemetery Man, Race With The Devil, The Anniversary, and Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. That's a far cry from what they were in the days before they were bought out by Starz Home Entertainment and when they were truly "independent". AB UK has a lot more going for it, but simply judging from the US branch virtually everything they've released since then has been reissues and/or remasters of older movies from their (and at times other's) catalogues, ports from the UK, or new DTV garbage and Masters of Horror (all of which are pretty geared towards the mainstream). There's nothing inherently wrong with that. They have to do what they do to stay in business, but it seriously compromises their reputation and legitimacy in the cult cinema game.

17. Korngold

Korngold New Member

I look over my collection and there is one company that's really apparent: Anchor Bay. I agree with Rhett's position and to see AB leave the market would be a blow for a once great horror dvd company.

18. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

shouldn't it say "Starz" instead of AB as most of their recent releases barely mentions "Anchor Bay".

I'd hate to see Shriek Show go. As much shit as some people give them, they put out a lot of hard to find stuff and their 3 packs are a great deal.

and I agree that Troma should go. The WORST dvd company (their movies aren't that great either) ever, and that's including PD companies!

19. maybrick

Strange. When I look at your DVD collection I only see one DVD listed, and it ain't an AB disc either! :lol:

20. rhett

rhett Administrator

13 Erotic Ghosts happens to be a classic.