Which cult DVD label would you be saddest to see go?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Mar 6, 2007.

?

Which cult DVD label would you be saddest to see go?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2007.
  1. Anchor Bay

41 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Blue Underground

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Code Red

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Dark Sky

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. NoShame

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Panik House

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. Severin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Shriek Show

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. Subversive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Synapse

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  11. Troma

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  12. Elite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Image

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

um, it shows a Smashing Pumpkins dvd on his list....

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

Shit, I clicked on yours by mistake. That title is so awesome...are there actually thirteen different erotic ghosts in that movie?

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

lol, i don't even remember. it's been awhile since i watched it.

4. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

All of them...but I voted for anchor bay simply because they were one of the first...and I think a larger part of my collection comes from them than from anyone else.

5. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I'd hate to see any of them go, even the much maligned Code Red. :lol:

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I don't get the hate for Troma. They are TRULY independent. They are the only company making movies for the art, not the money. Sure their transfers are shitty, sure their DVDs aren't truly digitally mastered, but thats because they do not have the money to spend on pristine prints, etc. They truly sacrifice themselves for the good of the artform, and if to put something out it requires being crafty, at least they put it out.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  7. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

I'd hate to see any of them go but if it had to be one, it would be Blue Underground. I have almost every one of their DVDs.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--I don't get the hate for Troma. They are TRULY independent. They are the only company making movies for the art, not the money.--

Yes, truly independent, but art? Only in the broadest broadest sense. I might actually throw a party if Troma ever went down the tubes. They've got to be the most annoying DVD company out there - Brentwood are more important to the genre.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I wouldn't want any of them to go away, but for me... Anchor Bay and BU would be the saddest ones.

10. ThievingWinona

ThievingWinona New Member

I gotta throw some love to Troma.

If your only criteria is talking about the quality of dvd releases, then yeah, Troma may not rate that high (although I think their own releases have incredible discs. I love those documentaries).

But Troma has done so much, and continues to do much, to help broaden and expand the "independent scene". Ask Trey Parker or Matt Stone if Troma should go "down the tubes". Lloyd Kaufman's shtick may get really annoying at times, but the guy has written books to help independent filmmakers, started Tromadance to expose indie filmmakers, Troma has allowed new and unique talent to get their careers started, and they have a true dedication to helping Independent cinema.

"Art" is a subjective word and Troma's "art" may not be for everyone, but it is art. They have been playing by their own rules for thirty years, making the movies they want to make, throwing whatever they can scrounge up in terms of cash for their "big releases" and to me, that means a lot. Do most of their dvd's suck ass? Of course they do. The transfers are awful and there are rarely any extras on the stuff they pick up for distribution, but you know what? I'm happy to have a copy of Curse of the Cannibal Confederates sitting on my shelf, even if the transfer is abysmal. Just the fact that they make these movies available is important to me.

I like Trey Parker's story about Cannibal The Musical. They met with Lloyd Kaufman who flat out said "We can't give you any money for your movie". They asked him why they should let him distribute it and Kaufman said: "Well, I just think Cannibal is a really great movie and people should see it. I mean, you guys made it so people would see it, right?"

Seeing these other companies go would be no big shame in my opinion. Would it suck to see Blue Underground or Synapse go down in flames? Yes, undoubtedly.

But I have no doubt either that other independent companies would be there to pick up the rights to these obscure films and give them good releases. Not every single indie is going to bite the dust, only the ones that can't survive for whatever reason.

Troma dying would be an incredible loss, not only from a fan standpoint, but for independent cinema in general. Troma's merit goes beyond simple dvd releases, they are kind of a big middle finger to the "establishment" and everyone loses if something like that goes away, regardless of your personal feelings of the quality of their films.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Lloyd Kaufman's shtick may get really annoying at times--

At times?!?!

--But I have no doubt either that other independent companies would be there to pick up the rights to these obscure films and give them good releases.--

Well, as long it's not Troma, maybe..... nah.

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

BLUE UNDERGROUND of the labels that have been around for a while.Of the newer outfits I've been quite happy with Dark Sky.Anchor Bay certainly threw down the gauntlet in the early days of DVD,they've been hurt lately because so many companies decided to pick it up.

13. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

At this point, there's so few movies coming out that interest me. Everything has been said and done. I will admit I have a soft spot for AB, they introduced me to everything that is holy in the world of horror. But since they haven't been releasing as much lately, it'd be less hard to see them go. Since the actual movie quality has dropped lately (hey, nothing can be done about this, only so many classics to go around), it'd be less hard to see anyone go, really. Sure, it sucks, but the well is drying up.

I've got precisely 721 horror flicks, there's just not many more out there that I can buy. I used to go out and buy any dumbass flick, but now I sit back and think... is it truly worth $10 for Axe? $17 for Rock n' Roll Nightmare (I'm in Canada, so it's actually more, significantly)? Especially since most stuff I buy are blind buys and I don't know if I'll even like them. Sure, there's always going to be movies that haven't been released that interest me, but in the long run, I've got the greats and everything else is truly just filler.

I haven't bought many horror DVDs in the last year (maybe... 30, which is a far cry from the 200+ every other year) and finally I have enough that I want to make a large DDD order if they have another sale. I truly don't want anyone to go under, I want these movies to come out for others. But me, personally, I have overspent on DVDs too many times and I have learned from my mistakes. It's not so much that I want to be a dick here, it's just I realize my collection is near completion, so I personally am losing interest in who stays and who goes. Generally the companies haven't thought twice to leave horror fans when they had the oppurtunity to grow, so I'm not gonna get too bummed out about it.

And, for the record, Brentwood kicks ass!

14. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

oddly enough, Brentwood aka BCI has put out quite a bit of good stuff as of late. who'd think a PD company with vhs quality transfers would actually go legit and release some worthwhile stuff!!?!

15. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, and Shreik Show. Most of my collection of DVDs are from Anchor Bay. Synapse would be another one.

I actually would hate to see all of them go. All of the Indies have put out at least one release that I own a copy of, and there are still plenty of Cult and Older Horror films not yet released on DVD.

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with Troma producing their own movies or release the work of modern filmmakers, but when they give the "Troma" treatment to older movies that they had no part in such as Curse of the Cannibal Confederates, The Children, Frightmare, or what have you, and use subpar masters to boot, it's disrespectful. And I don't buy for a second that Kaufman has no money. He's simply cheap.

17. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Blue Underground, with Synapse and Anchor Bay close behind

18. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Blue Underground. They have put out so many good blind buys for me that it would crush me to see them leave.

19. Subversive, Synapse, Shriekshow, Troma all need to stick around. I don't see why everyone seems to hate Troma so much. Yeah, they have puit out some awful film, but for every Girl School Screamers there is a Terror Firmer or Toxic Avenger 4. Also, thet released Nightbeast, which rules!

20. Chad

Chad Member

Holy hell, that's a really tough decision to have to make! Even though I went with BU I've got DVD's from practically every one of those labels. Definitely have more AB and BU titles altogether, but I've really been digging the recent NoShame and Subversive releases lately.

BTW, why isn't Mondo Macabro or CasaNegra on the list?! :eek: