Which cult DVD label would you be saddest to see go?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Mar 6, 2007.

?

Which cult DVD label would you be saddest to see go?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2007.
  1. Anchor Bay

41 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Blue Underground

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Code Red

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Dark Sky

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. NoShame

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Panik House

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. Severin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Shriek Show

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. Subversive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Synapse

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  11. Troma

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  12. Elite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Image

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

If any of these companies go under it's going to hurt.There are still a large amount of movies not on DVD asof yet and ever one of these companies the disappears will make it less likely that we will see certain titles released.
    I initially voted for Troma.How do you really choose from this list??All these companies ave eleased great titles at one time or another and I try to support them all.Code Red is clearly a shaky company with promise of some great titles so i buy crap like The Forest and Doom Asylum with hopes the will stay in business long enough to release Sweet Sixteen and Dead Pit.

Horror fans need all these small companies to stay running.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

If Blue Underground or Synapse Films went under you know Bill Lustig or Don May would still have plenty of work to do and most everything they release would still get released in comparable quality. I love Synapse Films, but I don't think the spirit of Synapse Films goes just with the name. It's all the in man Don May Jr. Considering he worked on TCM and NOES w/o Synapse I think it'd be just fine.

Overall I think Mondo Macabro would make me the most sad if they were to go under, but from the list I voted Panik House. If Panik House wasn't around their movies wouldn't have been released by anyone anywhere, none the less as such excellent products. Problem with Dark Sky is that I already imported most of their releases long ago, so for me they haven't been putting out "must haves."

As for Anchor Bay having the most horror out of my collection, they might not even make it into the top 5 of mine. Were they relevent once? Yes, I can't imagine cult DVDs being where they are today with out them. If the company were to fold up their tent tomorrow would I be sad? Not really, they haven't been a relevent company for more than 3 years.

And although everyone talks about a blight on DVDs, I've been buying so many new releases of cult DVDs week after week I'm kinda wondering what the hell everyone's talking about. Sure the big stuff's already out, but all these little gems are being uncovered now.

3. Fumi

Fumi Member

Same here. If they go under, any group of drunken frat boys with $50 in their pocket could make far, FAR better films.

4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Two threads in a row that I'm quoting maybrick. Testify!!

Actually I'd be sad to see all of them go (ya know, except Troma). I hope Code Red lasts. I like what they're doing with the releases of North American flix that pretty much no one else will release.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  5. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Anchor Bay. They did some really spiffy restorations for the Halloween flicks, as well as give them a solid set of extras. They've also did some really good work on the other horror flicks in their possession, like Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers.

Not knocking the other cult DVD labels, but I think AB is one of the best cult DVD labels around. I hope they'll stay around for a long time... there's still many horror films that haven't seen the light on DVD already.

6. Andy Brooks

Andy Brooks Guest

I would hate to see most of them go (especially AB) , but I voted for Dark Sky. They have brought out some great movies with special features that even Anchor Bay and VCI didn't have on there discs! I just hope they can get a hold of Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things so I can have a decent release of that. The Devil's Rain was excellent.