Which Exorcist will you be buying?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Aug 29, 2004.

?

Which version of Exorcist: The Beginning will you be compelled to get on DVD?

1. The Renny Harlin theatrical cut

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. The Paul Schrader director's cut

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. Both

26 vote(s)
    45.6%
  4. Neither

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

There have been rumors that Morgan Creek will be releasing two completely different versions of THE EXORCIST: THE BEGINNING on DVD. The first version will be the Renny Harlin directed film that is currently playing in theatres. While the second version will be the Paul Schrader version that was withheld because it was not the kind of scary picture the studio wanted. So providing both films get a DVD release, which will you be paying your money to see?

2. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

If it gets good reviews, I'll be picking up the Schrader version. I might rent Renny Harlin's version if I want to see it again, but it isn't worth a buy.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Oh, I think we should stomp our feet to demand they both come out in a deluxe SE release. What a fascinating double-bill.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'll be picking up both, unless I go see Harlin's version soon and decide it's complete shit.

5. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I'm interested in the Schrader cut. I do not like Harlin, and I have not seen his version, however if this gets packaged as a double disc, I may get it just to see the two... More of a cinematic curiosity I guess, I'm not an Exorcist fan to begin with.

6. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I'll be renting Schrader's version. I rarely rent dvds but I am curious to see if his version is any better than the crapfest that was released.

7. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

I just finished watching Exorcist: The Beginning. It was so so, not as good as Exorcist 3 and not in the same league as the Exorcist.

It seemed to me the film was made to what a 13 year old boy would call a 'kick ass movie'

It had all the key components: flys, maggots, blood, gore, moving bed and an over reliance on shock value rather than any suspense or chills.

The movie studio wanted gore and shock for the theatrical release and thats what they got, but have they made a film that will be remembered years to come? nope.

At least Exorcist 2 will be remembered for being crap. This film is just average.

h**p://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:284665

The allmovie.com review summed it up pretty well for me:

"Gone are the subtlety and deep theosophical underpinnings that dug deep into the hearts of moviegoers back in 1973. Instead, Exorcist: The Beginning opts for a kind of in-your-face nastiness that seems as out of place as any that might have been carelessly added into the first version........[the film is] a thinly-veiled attempt to cash in on what clueless people think makes this series tick"

Roll on the Paul Schrader version i say.

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i thought both versions were going to be on the dvd release not seperate releases

9. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

People are willing to buy the Paul Schrader version without even seeing it first? Interesting...

10. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Actually liked The Exorcist IV:The Beginning, taken on its own its a very good film. Of course, people who compare it to the original will be disapointed, THAT was a groundbreaking film. Times have changed and the ability to shock an audience has lessened. I disagree with the person who posted the blood, gore and maggots would only appeal to a thirteen year old, I guess this same person would be quick to dismiss the works of Fulci, Deodato and D'Amato as crap since all of these directors employed excessive gore to great effect. The gore is not central to the storyline in the Exorcist prequel, there is much substance beneath it. All in all, the Exorcist prequel is well worth seeing and I will be buying the Harlin DVD the day it comes out. People are entitled to their opinions.

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I'm not buying either one. I'm renting both of them first, and if I like them, I'll be buying. :)

12. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

ryan stole my answer.

13. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

despite having a negative reaction to the last part of the theatrical version, i will still pick it up, along with the PS version. What can i say, i am a completist. I hope Morgan Creek releases both versions together, as it'd be cheaper than buying them separately (usually that's the case).

14. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I'd be interested in both, especially if they were released together in a deluxe set.

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    They really need to include them both in a 2 disc set. Either way, I'm only renting this one.

16. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

rent the schrader version-I saw the harlin one, and I have to say it really sucked (and I really wanted to like it, too!)